Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An English Mayweather: How would we react?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An English Mayweather: How would we react?

Let's say there was a boxer with the skill set, style and personality of Floyd Mayweather, but was English. Hell, an English Floyd Mayweather. How do you think the British public would react to him? Would he be as hated, more loved and appreciated?

I am curious because typically, the fighters throughout history British fans loved were the 'British Bulldogs" who wanted to fight. I wonder how the public would react to a more calculated, smarter but boring fighter who had more success than anybody in British history.

Still an unmitigated dick who beats women? I think the reaction would be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
      Still an unmitigated dick who beats women? I think the reaction would be similar.
      Could he do what Floyd did and get loads of people buying his PPV's though?
      I'm not 100 percent sure on that tbh, its kind of hard to captivate the American public when you're not an actual American but speaking good English is a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
        Could he do what Floyd did and get loads of people buying his PPV's though?
        I'm not 100 percent sure on that tbh, its kind of hard to captivate the American public when you're not an actual American but speaking good English is a start.
        Possible, harder but possible. It would depend on match-ups, he would have to face a big American attraction. Definitely harder.

Comment

imagine the way Floyd talks with a british accent, are you going to understand what he's saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
            imagine the way Floyd talks with a british accent, are you going to understand what he's saying?
            Loool his choice of words and sound of voice would be tweaked. But the persona would remain the same

Comment

Prince Naz was from England and Floyd essentially copied his persona. He never used to be like that back in the day, he was a choirboy type of guy but you'll see that Floyd switched it up soon after Naz debut in the USA with the Kelly fight. Floyd copied Prince Naseem Hamed (who is from England).

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                Prince Naz was from England and Floyd essentially copied his persona. He never used to be like that back in the day, he was a choirboy type of guy but you'll see that Floyd switched it up soon after Naz debut in the USA with the Kelly fight. Floyd copied Prince Naseem Hamed (who is from England).
                I don't think Floyd quite copied him. As soon as Floyd started getting big money, he created a 'flashy' persona. If we are talking about the ****iness, he has always had that. Even from the very early days

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                  Also, Floyd had his debut in 96. Naseem fought Kelley in 97. So Floyd was a choirboy for one year, his first year of being a professional?

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
                    I don't think Floyd quite copied him. As soon as Floyd started getting big money, he created a 'flashy' persona. If we are talking about the ****iness, he has always had that. Even from the very early days
                    He was influenced greatly by Naz. lots of fighters were at the time and many still are today like Prince Patel, Keith Thurman, Chris Arreola, Deontay Wilder and many more. Naz left a timeless impression on the world of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X