Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to get the street rod inspected. That's always fun...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get the street rod inspected. That's always fun...

So it's that time again, annual vehicle inspection. We have emissions testing in the county I live in so that's a huge annual worry. It's been passing lately, and I expect it to pass today, but that wasn't always the case.

It's a '07 Mustang GT with a few goodies on it. Full racing exhaust (long tube headers, aftermarket mid-pipe, bigger mufflers), cams, cold air intake, racing tune, and a few other fun parts.

Years ago I had it passing with a tune from a tuner I'll call KT. Then I decided to try and milk a little more power out of it so I took it down to Mike Murillo (Murillo Motorsports) down in San Antonio.

Big mistake. Not only did it have less power, the car failed the emissions inspection. And on top of that, the guy at the Jiffy Lube was a real dick about it failing emissions. He starts giving me a speech about how no one should modify cars, how the State of Texas is going to outlaw this stuff and I'll have to take it all off, etc. I told him it's not his job to give me a speech but to only pass or fail my car and stfu. He had no reason to be condescending like that. I was not happy.

I call Murillo. Murillo wants another ~$450 for a new tune (despite his guarantee it would pass inspection), so that was out of the question. So I called KT. He still had my exact previous tune on his computer and loading it onto my car would take all of 5 minutes. Sure enough, 5 minutes later more power like before. So I know it's going to pass this time....

(In Texas when your car fails you get like 10 days or so to get a free re-try at the same place it failed. If it fails again, you're out the money. If it passes, it passes.)

I'm planning on really having fun now. I'm praying that dick is the one who inspects it again, knowing it's going to pass. I even told my wife to have the bondman's number handy, as I'm going to goad this guy relentlessly when it passes. I was really upset at his attitude and I was very much wanting to express my displeasure in a physical manner. I just had to get him to swing on me.

Sure enough, he comes out. And he does remember me! He starts smarting off about if I fail again I lose my money, did I take off the performance parts, remember it failed bad last time, I can't come back again if it fails, etc. I just smirk every time and say "It'll pass" to everything he says. I'm being a real smug jerk about it.

So I'm sitting in the place waiting with other folks. I hear my car (it's quite loud) take off, come back, and go into a bay. Now due to the mods, the entire place absolutely reeks of exhaust. Big time. I'm smiling like the Cheshire Cat during all this.

Time rolls by. And by. The dick never comes back with the results. Then my car finally pulls up next to the building and it's parked there sitting. Ok, I'm sure now I'll hear the results any time. Nothing. So I go outside and glance at my car and there it is, a new inspection sticker. It passed!!

But where's the dick who inspected it? I'm really smiling now, because now the real fun is fixing to begin. But he doesn't show back up to tell me it passed. Ever.

So I go to the counter and ask what the hell is the hold up here. My car is done but no one told me what happened. Sure enough, the counter guy says it passed. Now while were talking I'm looking all over that place for that dick. I don't see him anywhere. I ask where the guy is who inspected it. He wont say.

I left satisfied in knowing I got that a-hole's goat. And I got it good.

Street Rod?????
    I was gunna laugh but it is better than whip I suppose haha

Comment

In case anyone wants the cliff notes, the OP just wanted to brag about his car.

It's a '07 Mustang GT with a few goodies on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
        Not at all. It's nowhere near the fastest car around, and since the 5.0s came out its a previous generation muscle car. It's still a ton of fun though.

It was about the healthy dose of Kharma that got served up, actually. I love hearing stories about that. So I decided to share a good one.

That, and a warning to other car guys to avoid Murillo.

My car passed today, btw.

Comment

HaHa good story man.. I love owning dudes that are di*kheads like that in real life.. Humble pie tastes good.

Comment

Man **** yo car. Ill spit on that h03if ever see it

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post

a mustang that cant pass a smog test?

Comment

I don't consider an '07 Mustang to be a street rod lol. Around my way we have street rod tags, historic tags, and normal tags. There isn't a thorough inspection on the street rod tagged cars or any emissions crap. You can only drive a certain amount of miles per year and certain days like the weekend though.

It's weird that an all motor tune for a stock 4.6 with bolt ons made it not pass the smog test. That had to be a junk tune lol. Murillo doesn't run a mod motor so why get a tune there anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  a mustang that cant pass a smog test?
                  I'm not sure I'd call it a smog test. They don't put a sensor device in the tailpipes. Now I'll preface this by saying I'm in Texas, and we have 'emissions' and 'non-emissions' counties. I'm in an 'emissions county'.

They hook up a tester of some sort to an inlet in the engine bay (I think an OBT-2 inlet, but not certain). It determines if emissions pass. They give you a printout whether it passes or fails.

Typically they fail for having too many "Not Ready" on the car. I believe you can have 1 of those and pass, but 2 or more you fail. You get those when you turn an O2 sensor off, or if the car has been tuned or had a CEL (Check Engine Light) cleared and the car has not 'reset', which typically takes around 40 miles or so of driving.

These motors have 4 O2 sensors. Two front, and two rear. The two front ones analyze the exhaust straight out of the motor but before the catalytic converters and then adjust for proper F/A mixture (and maybe spark, but I'm not sure). These O2 sensors are only concerned with engine performance

The rear O2 sensors are after the catalytic converters. They analyze exhaust after is been through the catalytic converters to make sure those are working properly. These O2 sensors are concerned with emissions, not performance. Not allowing 2 "Not Ready" keeps someone from turning off the 2 rear O2 sensors to hide removed or gutted catalytic converters.

Since tunes alter the composure of the exhaust they can set off the rear sensors which trigger a CEL, and a CEL is an automatic fail.

So it all comes down to the individual tuners. Some, like Murillo, can't tune 05-09 V8 Mustang which will pass inspection. Some can. And at around $500 a pop, it's not cheap to fish around.

It's gotten alot harder to avoid inspection. When you hook that tester up to a car, it reads and records the VIN number too. This makes it very risky to test one car for a sticker to put on another (assuming you can find an inspector to do it) because you can get nailed if a cop runs your plates.

The inspection records are now tied to police computers, so you cant just 'buy' a sticker and have it reported to the State like you could when it was done via hardcopy. You have to pass the emission test where they hook up the car for the State to have a record you passed.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I love discussing this topic (because I hate failing inspections), and I'm always on the lookout for other guys who are used to dealing with this as well who have knowledge on the topic that I do not.

If you know anything about this topic, feel free to share.
                  Last edited by 1bad65; 03-25-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                    I don't consider an '07 Mustang to be a street rod lol. Around my way we have street rod tags, historic tags, and normal tags. There isn't a thorough inspection on the street rod tagged cars or any emissions crap. You can only drive a certain amount of miles per year and certain days like the weekend though.

It's weird that an all motor tune for a stock 4.6 with bolt ons made it not pass the smog test. That had to be a junk tune lol. Murillo doesn't run a mod motor so why get a tune there anyway?
                    I believe he mentioned he had an aftermarket cam. Could have been an issue. Always thought Texas was more lenient than here in Commiefornia when it came to emission/smog stuff, but I guess it's a county thing with 1bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X