No announcement yet.

Benny Leonard vs Floyd Mmayweather-135

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benny Leonard vs Floyd Mmayweather-135

How would this sizzling match up go down? I saw a thread like this on ESB and wanted to get the opinions of those here at boxingscene.
    Benny Leonard
    44.00%
    Floyd Mayweather jr
    56.00%

floyd would dominate the sht outta him that's how

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
      floyd would dominate the sht outta him that's how
      Errmm I dont think so, Benny Leonard is a top 3 lightweight of all time with one of the greatest boxing brains of all time, no one's "dominating" anybody

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
        Errmm I dont think so, Benny Leonard is a top 3 lightweight of all time with one of the greatest boxing brains of all time, no one's "dominating" anybody
        just because he's an all time great and top 3 or whatever doesn't mean he could beat or even be competitive with mayweather, he came from a completely different era.

I don't know how much footage exists of Benny Leonard but from what I've seen yeah he was a great fighter very skilled and crafty but I don't see any reason why floyd would have any problems with the guy.

Did he accomplish more than floyd, is he ranked higher all time? sure why not. but head to head is a different thing. For example Rocky Marciano is ranked pretty high on the all time greatest heavyweight lists that doesn't mean he would be competitive with Vitali Klitschko or Lennox Lewis or Bob Fitzsimmons would beat a prime Roy Jones etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          just because he's an all time great and top 3 or whatever doesn't mean he could beat or even be competitive with mayweather, he came from a completely different era.

I don't know how much footage exists of Benny Leonard but from what I've seen yeah he was a great fighter very skilled and crafty but I don't see any reason why floyd would have any problems with the guy.

The footage of Benny Leonard doesn't do him justice, the quality is terrible and its hard to judge his ability from it.

Did he accomplish more than floyd, is he ranked higher all time? sure why not. but head to head is a different thing. For example Rocky Marciano is ranked pretty high on the all time greatest heavyweight lists that doesn't mean he would be competitive with Vitali Klitschko or Lennox Lewis or Bob Fitzsimmons would beat a prime Roy Jones etc.
          The bolded is your opinion, while I think Lewis beats Marciano, I think that he can beat Klitschko, quality of competition is an excellent way of judging a fighters ability, if he beat comp much superior to anyone Floyd ever faced at Lightweight, then why wont he be a great match-up for Floyd. Timing beats speed, and Leonard had great timing, not to mention he figured out his opponents like they were a puzzle, you only need to educate youself about Benny Leonard to know this

Comment

Eras are too different. Under the current rules, Mayweather would likely dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
              The bolded is your opinion, while I think Lewis beats Marciano, I think that he can beat Klitschko, quality of competition is an excellent way of judging a fighters ability, if he beat comp much superior to anyone Floyd ever faced at Lightweight, then why wont he be a great match-up for Floyd. Timing beats speed, and Leonard had great timing, not to mention he figured out his opponents like they were a puzzle, you only need to educate youself about Benny Leonard to know this
              when we're talking about Benny Leonard & Floyd and their opposition, again you have to factor in the era they fought in. Leonard was fighting in the 20's and 30's. I just don't think a lot (not all) of those guys could even come close to being competitive against Floyd.

As for Marciano, yes that's a completely different topic but again comparing era's....Marciano was 5′ 11″ 185 pounds. I just don't see him competing with a 6'7" 245 pound monster in Vitali. Most the guys Marciano fought were under 200 pounds themselves and the ones that were over 200 pounds were either not that good or old like Joe Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                when we're talking about Benny Leonard & Floyd and their opposition, again you have to factor in the era they fought in. Leonard was fighting in the 20's and 30's. I just don't think a lot (not all) of those guys could even come close to being competitive against Floyd.

Here we go, the old boxing has "evolved over the years", Kid chocolate, Harry Greb, Mickey Walker, Jimmy Mclarnin, the 20's and 30's were some of the richest eras in boxing history. In 1920 there were more professional fighters fighing in New York than they are in the whole world today, FACT Mike Silver goes into it in his book "ARC of Boxing: Rise and fall of the sweet science

As for Marciano, yes that's a completely different topic but again comparing era's....Marciano was 5′ 11″ 185 pounds. I just don't see him competing with a 6'7" 245 pound monster in Vitali. Most the guys Marciano fought were under 200 pounds themselves and the ones that were over 200 pounds were either not that good or old like Joe Louis.
                Whats the difference between from the fact that today's heavyweights are even more mediocre than they were then and they fought fifteen round championship fights? Marciano had underrated defense and head movement and would force Klitschko to punch down at a crouching target, Vitali is stronger but Marciano had ridiculous stamina and bust blood vessels in his opponents arms, just saying....

Comment

Benny Leonard would beat the **** out of Floyd DuckWeather.

Marciano will KO Roy Jones more brutally he has ever done...

Come on guys we can throw garbage too...

Most talking here about Leonard or Marciano dont even know when they fought and how were they...

And lastly if fights are fought in Gans or Leonards era...Floyd or tdays fighters would find the ring getting smaller with each passing round...
                  Don't just say in todays era...the fight might be in their era with small gloves over 25 rounds...Floyd will quit after running 16 rounds max in that case...

I am tired of this **** talkers....Need a break....
                  Last edited by Greatest1942; 09-30-2011, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                    Benny Leonard would beat the **** out of Floyd DuckWeather.

Marciano will KO Roy Jones more brutally he has ever done...

Come on guys we can throw garbage too...

Most talking here about Leonard or Marciano dont even know when they fought and how were they...

I am tired of this **** talkers....Need a break....

funny guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X