Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3073 Post(s)
Boxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing Logic has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,110.42
Total Points: 22,808.41
Great post. Keep up the good work. - WTF Huck! knows his stuff - jas You actually look beneath the surface - Nomadic 
Default Im more a Loma fan, & even prefer Thurman, over Mikey, but Mikey-Pac is fight to ma

I feel like Pacquiao has really done a disservice to his career the last let's say 7-8 years by staying at 147 when those guys are just too big for him. Their range, and their punch resistance, takes away from Pacquiao's ability, and makes his fights boring.

You see when you put him in with someone his size, like Broner or Matthysse, he can still be very entertaining, and possibly even elite. If he would just go to 140 and stay there, he could make history as one of the only 40 year olds to become undisputed champion. Would you really pick Prograis or Josh Taylor to beat Pacquiao?

That's why the fact there is finally an elite fighter in Pacquiao's weight class again, who is not too much bigger than Pacquiao, makes for a really compelling fight. We haven't seen that in years because every other elite fighter Pacquiao's size fights at 140 or 135. Until now. That's why Pacquiao vs Mikey is the fight to make. Either that, or have Pacquiao move down. Not that Pacquiao vs Thurman would be bad at this point, but I'm guessing Pacquiao's performances vs guys his size, Broner and Matthysse, have given us a false sense of security, so to speak, about how he would do vs big welterweights. We already saw him struggle with Jeff Horn. Unless he didn't train for that fight, then he has no chance vs Thurman. Also struggled a bit with Jessie Vargas. And that was Pacquiao 3 years younger or so...

Now if the Floyd rematch happens, I agree, stay at 147, or the Mikey fight, but otherwise, Pac should go become undisputed at 140. Pacquiao has a big fanbase, they would pay for PPVs to see him become undisputed at 140. He would probably actually attract more fans at 140 because what attracted fans to Pacquiao in the first place? Excitement, and legacy wins. Well, he can be more exciting vs 140 opponents than 147's, and he can probably achieve more legacy wins at 140 at this point than at 147. Maybe after Floyd and Mikey, give it one more shot vs someone like a Thurman at 147, and then you can always go back to 140 to finish up the career. But every year he wastes fighting bigger guys and looking less than what he is as a boxer as a result is a year he can't make up. As amazing as Pacquiao's legacy is, he probably left another 5 legacy wins on the table by staying at 147 so long. Struggling with B-level guys like Jeff Horn just because they are bigger than you does not compare, legacy wise, to beating elite boxers at 135 or 140, which Pacquiao surely still could have done at that time, and probably still can. Yet, he continues to waste that opportunity. Not that he has anything left to prove, but it's a little disappointing. Now as long as the Floyd or Mikey fights happen instead, then that complaint only applies to the latter Bob Arum years promoting Pacquiao, but if they don't, and Pacquiao ends up fighting 147's who are too big for him at this stage and losing instead of putting the cherry on top of his legacy at 140 or 135 to end his career, then Haymon's management of Pacquiao will also deserve criticism. But so far, Im just talking about the latter Arum years.
Boxing Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
chrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond reputechrisJS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,127.16
Total Points: 44,238.59
LMAO!!! - apples LMAO!!! - apples LMAO!!! - apples LMAO!!! - apples LMAO!!! - apples 
LMAO!!! - apples LMAO!!! - apples LMAO!!! - apples For your mom - desktop 0 For your pops - desktop 0 
For your mouth - desktop 0 For your vagina - desktop 0 For you loose @sshole - desktop 0 Good poster - Chrismart So true... - Tony Trick-Pony 
No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll No Message - ^lll Why you got so many vibrators? You're gay. - afgbjfgmih 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - !nternation Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - !nternation Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - !nternation Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - !nternation Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - !nternation 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ^lll Gay and Lesbian Pride - ^lll Gay and Lesbian Pride - ^lll Gay and Lesbian Pride - ^lll Gay and Lesbian Pride - ^lll 

He'll go where the money is as that's what he's done the last 10 years but with the exception of the Cotto fight and Marquez one's his career to me as been a bore during that time and I always enjoyed the action prior to him moving up too far. Those are the only fights I really got into of his during the last decade and that's largely because Marquez is my favorite fighter and I felt the Cotto fight could be fun.
chrisJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:58 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
MeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud of
Bank: 1,115.97
Total Points: 12,201.79

I like a Mikey/Pac fight! Do it at 140 or 142 and call it a day! Now..if Mikey happens to pull off the biggest upset in a while by beating Spence, then this is a safer fight for him at a lower weight and he doesn't HAVE to stick around at WW and "fight everybody".
MeanestNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:08 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
boliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond reputeboliodogs has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 42,707.68
Total Points: 73,302.74
For spreading some interesting dog (+ boxing) knowledge ;) - PainfromUkraine war canelo!! - KO MX consistent levelheaded objectivity - lefthook2daliva Keep terminating retards! - Krusher P4P #1 Good poster - -Weltschmerz- 
Good poster - MDPopescu Cheers to a good poster! - King Krusher Great Post! Ward fans are cheater fans. - anthonydavid11 Very good poster! - JK1700 Great post, man! Killing it! - anthonydavid11 

He is not a welterweight in these days of weighing in 32 hours before the fight. He only weighed 149 on fight night for Broner when most welterweights are 160 or more on fight night. Mikey was 149 on fight night for his lightweight title fight with Easter. Pacquiao could make 140 with ease and could also fight at 135. I remember how great he was against Hatton and Diaz at 140 and 135. He would be very hard to beat at 140 by anyone who fights at that weight today. I think Pacquiao beat Broner even easier than Mikey beat Broner and I think he could beat Mikey, Taylor, Prograis or Loma at 140 but we will probably never find out.
boliodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
MeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud ofMeanestNiceGuy has much to be proud of
Bank: 1,115.97
Total Points: 12,201.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliodogs View Post
He is not a welterweight in these days of weighing in 32 hours before the fight. He only weighed 149 on fight night for Broner when most welterweights are 160 or more on fight night. Mikey was 149 on fight night for his lightweight title fight with Easter. Pacquiao could make 140 with ease and could also fight at 135. I remember how great he was against Hatton and Diaz at 140 and 135. He would be very hard to beat at 140 by anyone who fights at that weight today. I think Pacquiao beat Broner even easier than Mikey beat Broner and I think he could beat Mikey, Taylor, Prograis or Loma at 140 but we will probably never find out.
Right! Moreover, people say what they say about Ariza, but Pac could use him nowadays.

He used to have Manny in TOP shape for every fight, now, I wanna see how great his work is on a 40-year old Pac.

I can't see this going anywhere but up for Pac.
MeanestNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
fan, fight, loma, mikey, mikey-pac, prefer, thurman

User Tag List