Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarver vs Jones 2 = Maidana vs Mayweather 2 ????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Jaffe Joffer View Post
    I know people say Jines dropping down to heavyweight is why he was KOd, I beg to differ. I just think Roy was past him prime and Tarvers style gave him trouble..

Tarver vs Jones 1, jones won a tough fight where he looked human. Then knocked out cold in the rematch..

Maidana gave Floyd all he can handle in their first fight...

Maidana hits hard and believe can he can hurt Floyd. Floyd looked weak, stationary and not as fast vs Maidana in his previous fights vs Canelo and Guerrero..

Can floyd be getting old and Maidana pull off the upset.. That chopping down punch did seem to give broner and Floyd's shoulder roll problems.. More so broner but you can tell Floyd was respecting it and watching out for it.

Garcia should be practicing heavily all camp at cutting the ring off. Making Floyd worry about defense more so than offense and take rounds that way.. Floyd's legs didnt look great..

Floyd likely will win, I just thought the comparison was interesting..
    If Maidana pulls off the upset it's because of skill, will, and experience against Floyd, Floyd hasn't declined at all, don't discredit Marcos before the fight happens. That said, this will absolutely be a Tarver/Jones II for other reasons.

Comment

Floyd is like Hopkins, and has way better fundamentals than Roy.. Floyd will still be able to adapt and win even though he is past his prime.. I think he outpoints Maidana in a fight similar to the first, except Floyd will start alittle faster

Comment

Originally posted by Da Machine View Post
        It clearly wasn't that easy. He won 4 straight, 3 by ko. One of them being the most hyped guy in the sport..

The easy to see improvements with Garcia. Maidana is who he is, but I would certainly call him a skilled fighter now. He execute to many skilled tactics, thinks in the ring, and sets up too many shots up to simply be called crude.

Ya, he's awkward and doesn't look the part. That means nothing. It's what you do, not how you look doing it.
        Excellent post. Well said.

Comment

As a skilled fighter, who depends on speed and reflexes, age, an upset can always be expected. Maidana hits very hard, and it would not surprise me to see him drop Floyd. But what many fail to realize, Floyd is a beast in the ring and has a lot of pride. I can honestly say that I'm not his biggest fan, but I love this sport and will admit that Floyd is one of the most highly skilled and competitive fighters to lace them up. If floyd decides to open up on Maidana, it will be an easy night for him. I think he showed him too much respect the 1st fight. But if he fights cautiously and focuses too much on defending, then he's in for a long night.

Floyd can not afford to wait on countering Maidana. He has to get aggressive offensively and take the fight to him. He needs to stay consistent with the jab and throw combos. He needs to bang his body often. This will force Maidana to make adjustments and think. I don't think those are his strong points in the ring. But if Floyd fights the same fight as last time, I can definitely see him getting caught with something big from Maidana.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
            Still speaks volumes that Floyd even struggled with a guy like Maidana in the first place. They aren't even in the same league and yet Chino won about 5 rounds.

I'm not saying Maidana is going to win, but I am saying Floyd is showing signs he's past his best days.
            Style wise a good pressure fighter can trouble Floyd unlike in the past. Maidana is strong and can punch. He's also the bigger fighter and at the very least can challenge Floyd physically. It wasn't the recipe when Floyd was in his prime but as Floyd gets older it's that kind of fighter that can knock Floyd off.

Comment

1)Jones-Tarver 1 scorecards 117-111 116-112 114-114, Mayweather-Maidana 1 the same scorecards 117-111 116-112 114-114
              2)Rematch Jones-Tarver was in 2004, now 2014
              3)Before Tarver Roy won one of the most important fight of his career - over Ruiz. Before Maidana Floyd won one of the most important fight of his career - over Alvarez
              4)Both came down in weight - Roy from SHW, Floyd from almost junior middle (152lbs)
              5)Jones-Tarver was for WBC and WBA Super World title, Mayweather-Maidana for WBC and WBA Super World title also
              6)Jones-Tarver 1 referee Kenny Bayless, Mayweather-Maidana rematch referee Kenny Bayless
              7)Right before Jones fight Tarver won world title, he beat Griffin with two knockdowns.Right before Mayweather fight Maidana won world title, he beat Broner with two knockdowns
              8)Dave Moretti judged Jones-Tarver 1.Dave Moretti will judge Mayweather-Maidana rematch
              9)Both Jones-Tarver fights were in Las-Vegas, both Mayweather-Maidana fights also
              10)Roy was #1 P4P, Floyd now #1 P4P.
              =========================================
              But you guys don't hope... 47-0

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy 23 View Post
                1)Jones-Tarver 1 scorecards 117-111 116-112 114-114, Mayweather-Maidana 1 the same scorecards 117-111 116-112 114-114
                3)Before Tarver Roy won one of the most important fight of his career - over Ruiz. Before Maidana Floyd won one of the most important fight of his career - over Alvarez
                4)Both came down in weight - Roy from SHW, Floyd from almost junior middle (152lbs)
                5)Jones-Tarver was for WBC and WBA Super World title, Mayweather-Maidana for WBC and WBA Super World title also
                6)Jones-Tarver 1 referee Kenny Bayless, Mayweather-Maidana rematch referee Kenny Bayless
                7)Right before Jones fight Tarver won world title, he beat Griffin with two knockdowns.Right before Mayweather fight Maidana won world title, he beat Broner with two knockdowns
                8)Dave Moretti judged Jones-Tarver 1.Dave Moretti will judge Mayweather-Maidana rematch
                9)Both Jones-Tarver fights were in Las-Vegas, both Mayweather-Maidana fights also
                Hmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy 23 View Post
                  Those who don't know history never see it coming when it's time to repeat.

Comment

Floyds legs have been gone for awhile. I just don't think Maidana can throw a straight missile right hand like that. If he did I'd shiiiit myself. But he'd most likely drop him with a wild hook. Definitely could happen.

I think Maidana gives Floyd trouble because he's small and compact like Cotto. Whereas taller guys are easier for him to pick apart.

Comment

Unless Marcos transforms into a lankey and rangey southpaw, then no comparison.

BTW-Roy was limited on defense and relied on reflex and movement...very different than Floyd who is light years more technically sound than Roy.

Comment

Working...
                      X