No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Errol Spence - Legacy Enhancement: Phase 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angkag View Post
    You're kidding right ? Its pretty much minimum standards these days that you go at that pace for 12, no matter what weight you at.

The first 6 rounds weren't anything like some of the madness we've seen in fights like Hagler/Hearns (or many others) where there was just no way they could keep that.

The pace of those first 6 rounds wasn't blistering by any stretch of the imagination, I would expect Garcia, Thurman, Porter, Algieri, Pac, even frigging Khan to be able to keep that pace up.

edit: oh yes, forgot Bradley, he could do 15 at that pace
    Lol, that's crap and you know it.

The only thing that is true that you said is that Bradley could fight at that pace, I forgot to mention him, he's another freak. Question is though, can he do it while taking the body punishment that Spence can dish out? I serious doubt it, Bradley gets blasted out in 6-8 rounds imo.

Comment

Beating Brook is more like Spence's "arrival" IMHO.

Now comes the task of clearing out the top of a deep division. He's off to a hell of a start.

I take Spence over Thurman, Garcia... I think Porter might be more difficult due to the mauling awkwardness. And honestly I think Manny gives him a tougher time than Thurman because Manny also has his own elite level of skill mixed with his own rare awkwardness.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give Spence someone like Lucas Matthysse next. I'd watch.
      Last edited by Mike_R; 05-31-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgeweather17 View Post

The only thing that is true that you said is that Bradley could fight at that pace, I forgot to mention him, he's another freak. Question is though, can he do it while taking the body punishment that Spence can dish out? I serious doubt it, Bradley gets blasted out in 6-8 rounds imo.
        I don't see how he lasts that long.

Comment

None of todays 147 fighters beats this guy. Porter is awkward and a difficult fight for everybody, but Spence beats him. Spence stops Thurman and beats Garcia also.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgeweather17 View Post

That's crap and I know it ? I assume you are new to boxing - but what pace are you talking about ? If you want to see what boxers were capable of before they had fitness coaches and dietitians, try Gatti v Ward. Watch Hagler/Mugabi, the rumble in the jungle - there are many fights today too where you end up exhausted just watching them and wondering how on earth they keep going.

The first 6 round of this fight were sloppy and no doubt tiring for both, but the fight wasn't at a pace or punishment level where either had a reason to fade if they were as conditioned as advertised and at the right weight.

That's what I know.

Comment

Brook needs to stop. Get a diction coach and give Paulie some competition. That Paulie. He gets KOd then runs down to call the next fight. He is a fan boy, but his tech insight is good, sometimes. Israel Vazquez is doing good too commenting in the studio. In Spanish. Life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                Phase 2 is Thurman
                Phase 3 is Crawford, Danny, and Porter
                Phase 4 is moving up to 154!
                Phase 2 and 3 can be mixed up in any sort of way but i like this...

Comment

That's crap and I know it ? I assume you are new to boxing - but what pace are you talking about ? If you want to see what boxers were capable of before they had fitness coaches and dietitians, try Gatti v Ward. Watch Hagler/Mugabi, the rumble in the jungle - there are many fights today too where you end up exhausted just watching them and wondering how on earth they keep going.

The first 6 round of this fight were sloppy and no doubt tiring for both, but the fight wasn't at a pace or punishment level where either had a reason to fade if they were as conditioned as advertised and at the right weight.

That's what I know.
                  You clearly don't know shieeet about boxing.

Consider this, Maidana gassed out in the second half of his first fight with Floyd because of all the body punishment that Floyd invested in over the first half of the fight.

Now if Small, Feather Fisted Floyd's body punishment can fade a big guy like Maidana, who outweighed him by 17lbs on fight night, just what the hell do you think Errol Spence's body punishment does to a fighter?

Remember that Spence has the highest number of body punch stoppages of this generation, that's how hard he hits the body, and there is no one, literally no one in boxing right now who attacks the body as frequent as he does over the course of a fight.

He also loads up on every single punch, literally every single punch that he throws. A lot of people were criticizing him about that early in his career, saying he would burn himself out as a result, but we've seen that despite loading up on every punch, the guy doesn't tire and instead comes on stronger as the fight goes on.

Now you consider all of that and tell me with a straight face that there is another fighter who will keep up with Spence over a full 12 rounds.

Please don't mention Gatti, Gatti quit in six rounds against Floyd, he wouldn't handle a guy like Spence (although Floyd in all fairness was a stamina freak himself in his young age, even in his old age, he could have been a 15 round fighter easily).

Comment

That's what I know.
                    If you have to name legendary fights as examples of "everybody" fighting at a certain pace, you're lying. Spence threw 600+ punches over 10 rounds against a world class fighter in his first major step up, in addition to a long layoff. He was impressive. You don't have to nitpick every little thing just because you like another fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_R View Post
                      Beating Brook is more like Spence's "arrival" IMHO.

Now comes the task of clearing out the top of a deep division. He's off to a hell of a start.

I take Spence over Thurman, Garcia... I think Porter might be more difficult due to the mauling awkwardness. And honestly I think Manny gives him a tougher time than Thurman because Manny also has his own elite level of skill mixed with his own rare awkwardness.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give Spence someone like Lucas Matthysse next. I'd watch.
                      I agree with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X