No announcement yet.

100yrs ago Jess Willard won the title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100yrs ago Jess Willard won the title

Jess Willard is vastly underrated and would be a serious contender in any era..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZV...em-uploademail

Not really. He wasn't much more than a big strong oaf to be honest

Comment

Originally posted by StAlbansBoxing View Post
      Not really. He wasn't much more than a big strong oaf to be honest
      He was able to fight 26rds in 103* degree heat. He had a decent jab and devastating right hand power. He could also take a good rap. Today's fighters struggle to last 12rds and have no more ability than what Willard had.. The Willard KO punch is similar to Hasim Rahman KO Lennox Lewis.. i would certainly fancy Willard to beat the likes of Rahman and many other alphabet champions of the last 30yrs..Maskaev, Peter, Ruiz, McCall, Bruno, Spinks, Brewster, Sanders, Moorer, Briggs, Botha, Ibragimov, Haye, Chagaev, Liakhovich, Valuev.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        He was able to fight 26rds in 103* degree heat. He had a decent jab and devastating right hand power. He could also take a good rap. Today's fighters struggle to last 12rds and have no more ability than what Willard had.. The Willard KO punch is similar to Hasim Rahman KO Lennox Lewis.. i would certainly fancy Willard to beat the likes of Rahman and many other alphabet champions of the last 30yrs..Maskaev, Peter, Ruiz, McCall, Bruno, Spinks, Brewster, Sanders, Moorer, Briggs, Botha, Ibragimov, Haye, Chagaev, Liakhovich, Valuev.
        You make a good point about the stamina and the heat in that fight; and Johnson was getting the better of him until age and conditioning caught up with him in the later rounds.

How would he do against modern fighters?

Well, I wouldn't say he'd be a world beater, necessarily; but I do think he'd do a lot better than most people give him credit for.

Comment

He was able to fight 26rds in 103* degree heat.
          I'm not sure how much credit Willard should get for taking only one clear round and by the slightest of margins three or four rounds (referee Jack Welsh's opinion) out of 25 against a career heaviest, there-for-the-taking, 37 year old Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
            I'm not sure how much credit Willard should get for taking only one clear round and by the slightest of margins three or four rounds (referee Jack Welsh's opinion) out of 25 against a career heaviest, there-for-the-taking, 37 year old Johnson.
            Willard was not just standing doing nothing for those 26rds. He was in a prizefight need i say more. Let's not forget The Great Sugar Ray Robinson collapsing from heat prostration after 13rds against Joey Maxim. Willard lasted twice as long and against a great champion in Johnson, who although at the tail-end of his career, could still fight for 26rds. The fight itself was not of the intensity of "The Thrilla in Manilla" yet both fighters were throwing punches, wrestling, fainting, grappling, opening-up throughout the full 26rds. So credit has to be given to both men. Willard did not neglect throwing punches to Johnson's body, which must have taken there toll on the champion as the bout wore on. We are also watching the fight footage from one camera at the back of the arena. Today we use around 50 camera's above and around ringside in HD. Willard does not get the credit he deserves for this victory. Yet it is on a par or better than James Buster`Douglas victory over Mike Tyson in Tokyo 1990.

Comment

Willard does not get the credit he deserves for this victory. Yet it is on a par or better than James Buster`Douglas victory over Mike Tyson in Tokyo 1990.
              I believe that the odds for both of those bouts would not reflect that opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
                I believe that the odds for both of those bouts would not reflect that opinion.
                That's correct, it's the performance i was comparing

Comment

I think what makes the stamina stand out is these guys also fought in close, body weight on body weight. To fight in 100+ degree heat for so many rounds is amazing.

And at 6'6 he was the tallest Heavy until Carnera.

Willard, The Great White Hope.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                    You make a good point about the stamina and the heat in that fight; and Johnson was getting the better of him until age and conditioning caught up with him in the later rounds.

How would he do against modern fighters?

Well, I wouldn't say he'd be a world beater, necessarily; but I do think he'd do a lot better than most people give him credit for.
                    I'd love to see how these old school heavies fare against guys like Tomasz Adamek or Mike Perez.

Comment

Working...
                    X