No announcement yet.

Duran vs. Tszyu

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azteca View Post
    tszyu reminds me somewhat of joe louis. he had a fightplan and stuck to it well, but wasn't the best at improvising extempore within the plan. there have been times through his career where he needed to have a 'changeup pitch' - basically, he needed to at least SOME of the time be able to come forward and apply duran-style pressure better than he did.

too often, if he was forced onto the back foot, he did it somewhat halfheartedly, and was liable to catch counters. he had a tendecny to underuse a superb jab too. when he stuck to his jab more he looked a lot better even in his patchier performances, and then he would equalize with the right hand.

equally, for a guy who was indiscreet and powerful to the body with left hooks, funnily he didn't work much downstairs. certainly not as much as i would like.

duran would outwork him but tszyu may have the cuteness to make duran look less than duran-like. it would be fun while it lasted but duran's intensity prevails.
    THROUGHOUT THE 90's TSZYU was far and away MY FAVORITE FIGHTER, but the direction his career took after the JUDAH and 2nd MITCHELL fight was a massive disappointment to me, I feel that his incredible inactivity and BAD management team destroyed him, he was pasr his prime when he fought HATTON and it was all needless as he had at least 2 years left of being truly formidable. I was astounded to see him sign with HATTON, a no-win situation, nothing left to prove at 140, I was hoping to see him go up to clinch a Welterweight Title, there were many belts at his mercy, but, he decided to take a year and a half off, MISTAKE. . That was one of the best analysis I've read on TSZYU by the way, it brought up some new TSZYU angles I havn't thought of before, Great.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      THROUGHOUT THE 90's TSZYU was far and away MY FAVORITE FIGHTER, but the direction his career took after the JUDAH and 2nd MITCHELL fight was a massive disappointment to me, I feel that his incredible inactivity and BAD management team destroyed him, he was pasr his prime when he fought HATTON and it was all needless as he had at least 2 years left of being truly formidable. I was astounded to see him sign with HATTON, a no-win situation, nothing left to prove at 140, I was hoping to see him go up to clinch a Welterweight Title, there were many belts at his mercy, but, he decided to take a year and a half off, MISTAKE. . That was one of the best analysis I've read on TSZYU by the way, it brought up some new TSZYU angles I havn't thought of before, Great.
      Tszyu was my favorite as well, and yeah it was a shame it seemed like he could have done a lot more in the sport. I feel that when Tszyu fought Hatton, he still had his timing and precision at a very high level, he just didn't have the freshness for such a grueling fight. I really wish he could have gotten a shot at one of the big names.

As to the topic, Azteca made a great post and I agree with his assessment.

Comment

Working...
      X