Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know Terrence Crawford survived a gunshot wound to the head years ago?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know Terrence Crawford survived a gunshot wound to the head years ago?

After shooting, Terence Crawford transforms from street life to champion fighter

OMAHA — Terence Crawford had just collected his winnings from a neighborhood dice game with his friends and hopped into the driver’s seat of his Brown ‘86 Cutlass Supreme to count the money.

As he was about to speed away, Crawford felt something hit him. It felt like a rock, but a bullet had entered his head, just above the nape of his neck. His friends had gang ties and their rivals had sprayed into the car with automatic weapons over a territorial claim.

Crawford (26-0, 18 KOs), USA TODAY/Boxing Junkie’s No. 8 pound-for-pound fighter, had been shot at many times before, but never hit. Now he was bleeding profusely, but collected himself and insisted he take the wheel en route to the hospital. After all, he trusted himself above anyone else to reach the medical center as quickly as possible. He was there about five hours, stitched up (he had to have his braids cut), then released. His life was saved when the rear windshield expanded the bullet.

At first, Crawford was bent on revenge, but came to his senses after talking with his uncle, a preacher. More so, the 2008 incident awakened the future world champ to a harsh reality: he needed to cut ties with gang-affiliated friends and tighten his circle.

“God gave me a second chance so I had to make the best of it,” Crawford told USA TODAY Sports.

He has become an excellent fighter with knockout power, possesses a high-ring IQ, and strong defense. A few miles from the site of the shooting are several billboards bearing his likeness ahead of his Saturday fight against Canadian Dierry Jean (HBO, 9:30 p.m. ET). One hugs the highway with the caption “Omaha: We Don’t Coast, We K.O.” and shows 2014’s fighter of the year punching a dazed Yuriorkis Gamboa, whom he knocked out in his signature bout last year.

Another shows Crawford interacting with a young boy and says, “Omaha: We Don’t Coast, We Inspire.” As Crawford will tell you, it’s clear he’s put the city on his back, and Omaha has responded, coming out in droves to his two HBO fights in the area.

He will defend his WBO junior welterweight title for the first time and 10,000-plus fans are expected at CenturyLink Center to see live what trainer Brian McIntyre calls Omaha’s professional sports franchise. A much bigger assignment could be just around the corner, though: a date with superstar Manny Pacquiao.

.......cont

............cont
    “I feel like me fighting Pacquiao and beating him would boost my career higher than its ever gonna go,” said Crawford, who collects classic cars. “ … To beat the likes of a Pacquiao, that would put me at pay-per-view status.”

Said Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, Crawford’s promoter: “If he wins (vs. Jean) in a lackadaisical fashion, probably not a big percentage (of getting Pacquiao next). If he wins in a very, very good (entertaining) way, then a higher percentage.”

Crawford, who began boxing when he was 7, came from humble beginnings. Terence Sr. was rarely around as an officer in the Navy. His mother, Deborah, worked full time at places like the since closed Campbell’s Soup factory to provide for Terence and his two older sisters.

The switch-hitting fighter says he “stayed” in trouble growing up. He often got into scraps with classmates, many of whom are now dead or in jail in an area ridden with homicides. Crawford estimates about 10% of the people he grew up with are successful.

“I feel like I have a huge responsibility being that I’m the only one doing it on this type of level, especially in boxing,” said Crawford, who graduated high school after being kicked out of five different schools for fighting, once hospitalized for three days after sustaining cuts on his hand from knocking a kid’s teeth out.

“For them to see me being so successful and still giving back and still the same person that gives them hope or motivation to do whatever it is that they want to do in life.”

Crawford has stayed grounded despite routinely pulling in seven-figure purses. When he’s not training in Colorado Springs, he’s preparing for fights at the B & B Boxing Academy, which he owns with McIntyre.

Eighties music blares as Crawford bounces around the ring with an old-school white headband laughing all the while. The roof appears as if it could collapse any second, insulation showing through massive cracks of the converted agricultural industrial storage warehouse.

He recently acquired the other half of the warehouse, and after it’s cleared of old farming equipment, the entire facility will undergo a $1.2 million renovation, with a weight room, two rings and lots of space for kids. He says he’ll never forget his city and will never change, no matter how much success he finds.

“I keep it that way to give the other kids around here hope,” Crawford said, “belief that they can make something out of nothing like I did. The kids are our future. … And if we don’t start with the kids, then there’s going to be nothing left.”

The former lightweight champ isn’t just giving back at home, though. He reconnected with his fourth-grade teacher at Skinner Magnet Center, Jamie Nollette, after he saw Facebook pictures of her travels to Africa.

She had been organizing missions through her non-profit “Pipeline Worldwide” to provide clean water through the drilling of wells, medical projects and construction; Crawford wanted to help. He joined Nollette on two-week trips to Uganda and Rwanda in August 2014 and June 2015, and has visited with many of the women and children affected by the tyrant Joseph Kony.

Kony was accused of the abduction of children and women to become child soldiers and sex slaves, and upward of 2 million people were displaced by him from 1986 to 2009, many of their lives forever damaged.

“It impacted me a lot. The things that we have, that they don’t, we take for granted,” said Crawford, who gave out clothes, candy and toys during his time in Africa. “Like water. They drinking out of dirty water that’s on the ground that has tires going over it.

“And they take the water, come home and boil it and that’s the water that they gotta use. And some of them be so thirsty, they drink the water right there. It makes you feel sad and makes you wanna do more to help people, and come and be appreciative of more of what we got. Anybody can donate money, but if you don’t go there and try to be hands on and see it yourself then you’re not really going to understand.”

Nollette now lives in Phoenix but returns to Omaha for Crawford’s fights. She’s amazed at the man he’s become, from the “ornery, disruptive” boy who wore camouflage outfits every day, to the world champion he is today.

He even flew in their tour guide, Apollo Karubaga, for his victory over Ray Beltran in November, a “life-changing experience” for someone who had never left Uganda before.

“Terence represents what’s possible,” she said. “He’s an alternative to street life, and a lot of these kids … (coming to the gym) is just an opportunity to be off the streets. I don’t know that they’re all going to be world champions, but they see that they can have a better life.”

Comment

I feel that....getting shot is nothing nice and will change your life...if you never been shot, shot at or stabbed you will never understand

Comment

That I didn't know.

Comment

Didn't hbo talk about it during the lead up on one of their broadcasts?

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
            Didn't hbo talk about it during the lead up on one of their broadcasts?
            HBO mentions it every times fights.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
              HBO mentions it every times fights.
              Nope, not his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Higher Learning View Post
                Nope, not his last fight.
                They didn't. Now that you mention it they didn't but I know they've mentioned it numerous times. I know for they mention it before the Kilmov and Gamboa fights.

Comment

HBO talks about it every time

Comment

That ish cray yo.

Comment

Working...
                    X