Leg Endurance, Beginner question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Endurance, Beginner question

Hey guys,
    Been going to a boxing gym for the past few weeks, noticed something during the conditioning/fitness part of the class

I can keep up with the class when were doing exercises like crunches, push ups etc
    However I cant keep up when doing exercises involving the legs like tuck jumps, mountain climbers, burpees, sprinting etc. My legs (quads) give in and fatigue very early on.

However my legs never tire while shadow boxing, hitting the bags, doing skill work etc.

Is this really a weak point/problem to address? because exercises like mountain climbers, tuck jumps, burpees are not very sport specific and as long as my legs never tire while actually doing sport specific work, I'm assuming this isent really a problem.

thanks a lot

Originally posted by Prettyprince View Post
    Hey guys,
    Been going to a boxing gym for the past few weeks, noticed something during the conditioning/fitness part of the class

I can keep up with the class when were doing exercises like crunches, push ups etc
    However I cant keep up when doing exercises involving the legs like tuck jumps, mountain climbers, burpees, sprinting etc. My legs (quads) give in and fatigue very early on.

However my legs never tire while shadow boxing, hitting the bags, doing skill work etc.

Is this really a weak point/problem to address? because exercises like mountain climbers, tuck jumps, burpees are not very sport specific and as long as my legs never tire while actually doing sport specific work, I'm assuming this isent really a problem.

thanks a lot
    Sounds like your aerobic strength is good, but lack in the anaerobic department which is typical for a beginner to lack 1 if not both. Typically anaerobicly fit people are good at sprints and weight lifting so I would suggest doing more of those. But for boxing I really dont suggest doing upper body weights, only weights that work the body below the waist ie squats, leg presses, lunges, calf raises (with weights) practice exerting a lot of energy in short periods of time. Just dont forget about doing aerobics either, keep doing steady paced exercises as well so you dont blow your load (so to speak) right away. Boxing requires a great focus on both types of cardio that I explained, once you even both out, you will start coming to your own and can focus on technique.

Comment

Sprints are a boxers best friend. And once you get at those do them up hill.

You should be doing sprints twice a week at least. Not only will they strengthen your legs they'll teach your body to recover quicker from burning a lot of energy in a short amount of time, which is basically what a actual boxing match is all about.

Burning energy, and quickly recovering.

Comment

Hills and squats to muscle failure before running will help a lot, with or witout weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Sounds like your aerobic strength is good, but lack in the anaerobic department which is typical for a beginner to lack 1 if not both. Typically anaerobicly fit people are good at sprints and weight lifting so I would suggest doing more of those. But for boxing I really dont suggest doing upper body weights, only weights that work the body below the waist ie squats, leg presses, lunges, calf raises (with weights) practice exerting a lot of energy in short periods of time. Just dont forget about doing aerobics either, keep doing steady paced exercises as well so you dont blow your load (so to speak) right away. Boxing requires a great focus on both types of cardio that I explained, once you even both out, you will start coming to your own and can focus on technique.
          Oh right, thanks man, I'm gonna focus more on the anaerobic part since my aerobic seems good

Comment

Firstly make sure you're breathing correctly. While fatigue may catch up to you, breathing patterns help allow you to maintain a certain rhythm that can reduce that stop-breathe-go effect, all the while maintaining efficient respiratory function.

or you could quit being a lil bitch

Comment

Originally posted by Prettyprince View Post
              Oh right, thanks man, I'm gonna focus more on the anaerobic part since my aerobic seems good
              For sure bro, good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X