Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Greenburg want his HBO stars to fight people from smaller weight divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Greenburg want his HBO stars to fight people from smaller weight divisions?

So Ross Greenburg wants his future Golden Boy star Amir Khan to fight old lightweight JM Marquez, rather than his mandatory, prime light welterweight Marcos Maidana.

He approved of welterweight Andre Berto fighting Juan Urango, a light welterweight.

He approved of the HBO PPV for welterweight Floyd Mayweather to fight lightweight JM Marquez.

He refused Adamek-Johnson and Adamek-Cunningham II last year, but he wants the HBO fighter Chris Arreola to fight the too-small-for-heavyweight Tomasz Adamek.

Does anyone else see a pattern here? One way to over-protect your fighters is to have them fight opponents from smaller weight divisions.

Khan should fight Maidana on HBO.
    Adamek should be fighting Cunningham again.
    Arreola should fight Peter, Tua, Solis, or Thompson.

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
    So Ross Greenburg wants his future Golden Boy star Amir Khan to fight old lightweight JM Marquez, rather than his mandatory, prime light welterweight Marcos Maidana.

He approved of welterweight Andre Berto fighting Juan Urango, a light welterweight.

He approved of the HBO PPV for welterweight Floyd Mayweather to fight lightweight JM Marquez.

He refused Adamek-Johnson and Adamek-Cunningham II last year, but he wants the HBO fighter Chris Arreola to fight the too-small-for-heavyweight Tomasz Adamek.

Does anyone else see a pattern here? One way to over-protect your fighters is to have them fight opponents from smaller weight divisions.

Khan should fight Maidana on HBO.
    Adamek should be fighting Cunningham again.
    Arreola should fight Peter, Tua, Solis, or Thompson.
    Khan is a GBP fighter..and JMM has a May 1st date. Obvious fight.

He also approved of Berto and Floyd fighting Mosley.

He also approved Arreola-Vitali.

He also approved JMM fighitng the bigger floyd.

Whats your beef again??

Comment

You would agree that Marquez KOs Khan though, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Marijuana View Post
        You would agree that Marquez KOs Khan though, right?
        I'm not sure.

JMM's age was evident in the Floyd fight. He's been through a lot of wars, especially those two with Pacquiao.

I'll be rooting for JMM though!

Comment

I'm not sure.

JMM's age was evident in the Floyd fight. He's been through a lot of wars, especially those two with Pacquiao.

I'll be rooting for JMM though!
          His age wasnt evident at all. What was evident was that he was fighting Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by -Reflexes- View Post
            Khan is a GBP fighter..and JMM has a May 1st date. Obvious fight.

He also approved of Berto and Floyd fighting Mosley.

He also approved Arreola-Vitali.

He also approved JMM fighitng the bigger floyd.

Whats your beef again??
            It's about time Floyd fought someone in his own weight division!

And Arreola and Vitali were close to the same weight for their fight. In fact, Arreola was heavier against Minto than Vitali has ever been.

Arreola fought a heavyweight 45 pounds smaller in Minto, who will fight at cruiserweight next time out, and that's another example of what I mean.

Don't you expect star boxers to fight others in their own weight division? The idea of choosing smaller opponents to make them look good is kind of phony and a bit shady in my opinion.

Comment

Khan would knock Marquez out I think. I'd be surprised at any other outcome and most will tell you I'm the biggest Khan basher on this site.

He needs to fight Maidana - I can feel the duck coming though.

Adamek will smash Arreola. He'll beat him up for 8-10 rounds and they'll stop the fight. Arreola is a fat bastard with no ambition. Adamek is a dangerous warrior who is one of the best combination punchers in boxing.

Comment

I think it has to do more with ratings.

Khan vs Marquez will have a lot of viewers. Not so much for Khan vs Maidana.

Same goes for Arreola vs Adamek.

All he cares about is what HE THINKS will pull the best ratings possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Shattered Jaw View Post
                  Khan would knock Marquez out I think. I'd be surprised at any other outcome and most will tell you I'm the biggest Khan basher on this site.

He needs to fight Maidana - I can feel the duck coming though.

Adamek will smash Arreola. He'll beat him up for 8-10 rounds and they'll stop the fight. Arreola is a fat bastard with no ambition. Adamek is a dangerous warrior who is one of the best combination punchers in boxing.
                  I agree Khan will defeat old JMM, and you're right about his ducking Maidana.

But Adamek is too small to be fighting Arreola, he's going to get badly beaten up. Because I'm an Adamek fan, I'm going to hate to see it. Tomasz fought at middleweight as an amateur, and was a light heavyweight until he was age 30, older than Arreola. Unlike Haye, he had no problem making 200 - he moved up to heavyweight because he couldn't get an American televised fight at cruiserweight.

Comment

I agree Khan will defeat old JMM, and you're right about his ducking Maidana.

But Adamek is too small to be fighting Arreola, he's going to get badly beaten up. Because I'm an Adamek fan, I'm going to hate to see it. Tomasz fought at middleweight as an amateur, and was a light heavyweight until he was age 30, older than Arreola. Unlike Haye, he had no problem making 200 - he moved up to heavyweight because he couldn't get an American televised fight at cruiserweight.
                    I actually think Adamek could beat Arreola if he fights smart.

Comment

Working...
                    X