Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Evander Holyfield do in the 60's-70's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    The third fight against Bowe was really silly on his part, then again he seemed to be in terrible shape for that one.
    Um, Hepatitis can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
      But you just totally dismissed Liston's work on the inside like it was non exsitance. When this isnt true as Liston could work on the inside rather well, and could throw powerfull hooks to the body and head.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      Yes, but, Holyfield is better than Liston on the inside, bar non. He wasn't too quick either. I just see Holyfield ripping off some really big combinations. Liston only pounded on Patterson because Patterson was like a small child in terms of strength comparison. Holyfield was strong as a bull for his size, even against the 90's Foreman his re cooperation and strength looked incredible.
      No, not true at all. Holyfield is highly overrated by many as an inside fighter. His best fights are when he goes on the inside and brawls but they are not the best way he fights at all. In fact, he is very vulnerable on the inside and can be hit quite easily.

His defense on the inside has many holes and quite a lot of his opponents had great success if it was an inside fight.

As Manchine said underneath, the only way Holyfield could win would be by making it a boxing match. Moving, throwing quick combos and getting in and out as fast as he could. If he starts trading on the inside then it becomes Liston territory and he would win that battle convincingly. Liston was very good on the inside and if you want to have a look at what it might look like go watch Bowe/Holyfield I.

Bowe beats Holyfield on the inside just as Liston would do. Liston had a great uppercut and Holyfield was not that good at defending against it.

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      I don't think Holyfield stands much of a chance if he goes to war against a prime Sonny Liston. The best strategy he could use is the one he used against Foreman, going in and out and doing less of the brawling which made him an exciting fighter but also made some fights much harder for him than they could have been.

I feel that Holyfield was much better at counter punching than he was at brawling/inside fighting, Bowe and others landed on him almost at will whenever he chose to stand and trade.

Comment

Working...
      X