Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Still Blames Mayweather-Pacquiao For Boxing's PPV Decline

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
    You're right. But Golovkin is the best promoted fighter over the last 3/4 years - from nothing to being a top 5 attraction in the States. If he can do that off his current resume, no reason not to be able to spin the monster tag a few more times once he has totally cleaned out the MW division [however tepid it is].
    GGG sells out arenas when tickets are priced inexpensively. It remains to be sen if he can take it to the next level and sell out arenas when tickets are priced at "event" level.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can do that if you are not fighting HOF level opponents. Also, you can't do it if all you do is fight 6-1 underdogs. Don't foerget Manny upset a number of fighters as he moved up before making it big.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
      Floyd singlehandily killed the PPV model

by fighting bums like Berto and Guerrero in expensive PPVs nobody wanted to see and by ducking for years and then acting like a ***** in the biggest fight of the century

the guy was cancer for boxing, it will take the sport years to recover from Floyd's putrid legacy, if ever

because it's not only the PPV decline, it's all the rampant ducking and cherrypicking, fights not getting made because fighters are happily following the Mayweather model, all trying to get the most $$$ with the less amount of risk.
      This is just utterly stupid. People said the same about Floyd/ODH, the fight sucked and boxing was dead. The same people said Manny/ODH was very exciting. Yet who sold more PPV's after each fought ODH?

The PPV model got hurt because fighters that didn't have the skill to "sell" a fight were put in PPV fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgeweather17 View Post
        You guys are proving that boxing fans are total nutjobs! The things you complain about literally happen in every other sport.

The problem with boxing fans is that most of ya'll are plastic.
        I don't think you are capable of having a reasoned argument-discussion. By definition most posters on this forum are hardcore fans or at least semi-hardcore.
        The OP was about whether or not May-Pac was a contributing factor to post poor ppv sales. I say yes. Others say no. What does a mostly free to air sport like soccer have to do with this discussion? Soccer has more hardcore fans than boxing can ever dream about and tens of thousands more events [games] every year.
        I know that boxing will always serve up good fights on paper. The schedule to end of year is proof of that. So I will continue following and watching.
        What is doubtful is when we see 1 million + ppv view fights again and why the numbers have dropped off.
        Others have said it is helpful or even absolutely necessary that a fighter has a striking personality to attract large numbers of viewers - yeah well, duh!!! Can't hurt can it?
        I say that May-Pac disappointed many casuals and as it cost $100 those disappointed casuals will think twice before buying again.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
          I don't think you are capable of having a reasoned argument-discussion. By definition most posters on this forum are hardcore fans or at least semi-hardcore.
          The OP was about whether or not May-Pac was a contributing factor to post poor ppv sales. I say yes. Others say no. What does a mostly free to air sport like soccer have to do with this discussion? Soccer has more hardcore fans than boxing can ever dream about and tens of thousands more events [games] every year.
          I know that boxing will always serve up good fights on paper. The schedule to end of year is proof of that. So I will continue following and watching.
          What is doubtful is when we see 1 million + ppv view fights again and why the numbers have dropped off.
          Others have said it is helpful or even absolutely necessary that a fighter has a striking personality to attract large numbers of viewers - yeah well, duh!!! Can't hurt can it?
          I say that May-Pac disappointed many casuals and as it cost $100 those disappointed casuals will think twice before buying again.
          Have you ever factored in the quality of the previous PPV fight when purchasing a PPV?

Comment

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
            Because pr and Mexico always support their stars. Also, add the casuals and standard boxing fans to that and u get big ppv l, but when pr and Mexico have a rivalry with 2 big ticket sellers, it will always do good business. Canelo and Cotto always had good crowd support
            So because two known fighters fought each other in a fight people wanted to see. That's always the recipe for a successful PPV. Since May-Pac show me a PPV that has had two known fighters in a fight people wanted to see

Comment

Only for pay per view decline? That kill the casual fans in all of boxing

Comment

I expected it to be boring. That's why I opposed it and kept saying it should never happen, but stupid fans kept hounding the Pac guy wherever he went asking the same stupid question. Now the same stupid fans are complaining.

Comment

I dont ever see boxing sell 1mil ppv's again. The fight ppv business belongs to ufc now

Comment

The reason the UFC is caking on PPV right now is because they have a very polarizing figure in McGregor. Boxing right now doesn't have that. It takes a little more than just being a good fighter to get casual sports fans out to buy a PPV. Canelo's regarded as Boxing's "Cash Cow" or "PPV Star", but his biggest numbers came against two of Boxing's biggest names in the last 10-15 years (Floyd and Cotto). McGregor can fight a Mule in a barn in Iowa and it'll sell anywhere from 900K-1.2 Mill easy. Floyd understood how to market himself as the villain which is why he sold a ****load of PPVs. If Floyd was a humble guy who was all smiles and wasn't boastful he couldn't sell the PPVs he did off his fight game alone which attracts the hardcore fan more than the casual fan looking for KOs and or a war.

Comment

People forget that that fight produced the LOWEST punch output in BOTH fighters careers. They respected the danger that the other posed.
                      Mayweather to a lackluster UD was pretty much the name of the game after he hurt his hands, and needed injections.
                      Good salesman though

Comment

Working...
                      X