Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scully talks about Ward/Dawson, the weight issues, the Miranda sparring rumor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by `STEELHEAD View Post
    when iceman scully stated that chad didnt need to change a thing against ward i nearly swallowed my tongue.
    i put part of the blame on scully.
    I agree with you 100%. I listened to the interview with Scully and even after seeing the fight Scully continued to say that " Ward doesn't do anything special". I think it confirms that they completely underestimated Ward, and that's what prevented them from making adjustments in the fight. Chad fought the whole fight with his right hand down...and was open for the job/left hook all night. Mayweather would have shut that punch down, but Chad didn't know what to do. However, Chad's defense was impressive at times. He made Ward miss badly sometimes...its was hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by megh50 View Post
      I agree with you 100%. I listened to the interview with Scully and even after seeing the fight Scully continued to say that " Ward doesn't do anything special". I think it confirms that they completely underestimated Ward, and that's what prevented them from making adjustments in the fight. Chad fought the whole fight with his right hand down...and was open for the job/left hook all night. Mayweather would have shut that punch down, but Chad didn't know what to do. However, Chad's defense was impressive at times. He made Ward miss badly sometimes...its was hilarious
      Well he's right, Ward doesn't do anything special he just does many things well. No great tool, just a big ass tool box.

Comment

The problem I have with Scully is that they seemed to have one game plan. That was to catch Ward coming in. I will never understand as to why a fighter of Dawson's skill level get hit in the same place 83 times. 83 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heffner View Post
          The problem I have with Scully is that they seemed to have one game plan. That was to catch Ward coming in. I will never understand as to why a fighter of Dawson's skill level get hit in the same place 83 times. 83 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          He was weight drained, it was poor preparation, and his skills have declined. He didn't know where the punches where coming from, he didn't know if Ward was going to use his right or left, and Scully kept telling Dawson to watch out for Ward's right hand. Dawson showed no movement, he was a dead zombie in there.

If Scully was a good trainer, he would have a better gameplan then that.
          Last edited by Boxingwizard; 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

There was nothing impressive about Dawson that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              Well he's right, Ward doesn't do anything special he just does many things well. No great tool, just a big ass tool box.
              Hmmm...I've always thought his inside game was special/standout as well as his defensive footwork, ablity to move in and out. He switches effortlessly between righty and lefty, and he is left handed, with a great left hook. You can see this in all his fights, especially against Froch and Bika. However, maybe his 'perceived' lack of punching power nullifies the impact. But yeah, when everything comes togehter...skill, mind, will...he is a toolbox.

Comment

Hmmm...I've always thought his inside game was special/standout as well as his defensive footwork, ablity to move in and out. He switches effortlessly between righty and lefty, and he is left handed, with a great left hook. You can see this in all his fights, especially against Froch and Bika. However, maybe his 'perceived' lack of punching power nullifies the impact. But yeah, when everything comes togehter...skill, mind, will...he is a toolbox.
                I would say Ward's instincts, ring awareness, focus is special, he knows exactly when his opponents are gonna go on the attack. Defensively, he's probably the best right now. Almost like a mangoose in there, doesn't have many special attributes but he applies everything together so well, which in turns makes him a special fighter.

Comment

the fact that he does just about everything that counts on or around expert level is quite special. there are literally very few fighters today who u can make that claim about. in fact u can probably count them on one hand. ward is a special fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                    the fact that he does just about everything that counts on or around expert level is quite special. there are literally very few fighters today who u can make that claim about. in fact u can probably count them on one hand. ward is a special fighter.
                    The individual parts are not special but the finished product is.

Comment

The individual parts are not special but the finished product is.
                      agreed.

Comment

Working...
                      X