No announcement yet.

jab and southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jab and southpaw

All around from many different people the jab is a difficult punch to land as a southpaw orhtodox match up because of positioning. 2 questions I have.
    -as a southpaw can anyone give me tips to landing a stiff jab? There's got to be some tricks for this

-and even better if anyone can lead me to a opposite stance match up where a guy is effectively using his jab....any specific fight???

Any help would be great thank you

I'm absolutely terrible with my jab as a southpaw, but I'll give this a go.

1) Position your lead foot on their outside. Move to your right and to their back while throwing the jab.

2) Put your left hand around your face, since you're open to their jab.

3) Launch that jab over his shoulder and square into his face.

That's one way of doing it, you can see Sergio Martinez doing this a lot with his jab. There's a second way, instead of going outside, you can go inside.

1) Position your lead foot on their inside. Move to your left and to their front while throwing the jab. Your lead foot should position itself so that you're kind of T-boning this fellow.

2) Be wary of left hooks and right hands when doing this.

3) Launch that jab right between his guard and straight into his face. Be ready to weave or slip out of the way of potential right and left hands.

I'm quite sure Miguel Cotto landed some nice ones like these against Pacquiao and Judah, just simply flip Cotto around and learn from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
      I'm absolutely terrible with my jab as a southpaw, but I'll give this a go.

1) Position your lead foot on their outside. Move to your right and to their back while throwing the jab.

2) Put your left hand around your face, since you're open to their jab.

3) Launch that jab over his shoulder and square into his face.

That's one way of doing it, you can see Sergio Martinez doing this a lot with his jab. There's a second way, instead of going outside, you can go inside.

1) Position your lead foot on their inside. Move to your left and to their front while throwing the jab. Your lead foot should position itself so that you're kind of T-boning this fellow.

2) Be wary of left hooks and right hands when doing this.

3) Launch that jab right between his guard and straight into his face. Be ready to weave or slip out of the way of potential right and left hands.

I'm quite sure Miguel Cotto landed some nice ones like these against Pacquiao and Judah, just simply flip Cotto around and learn from him.

Ive had success with foot on the inside and getting a quick jab in, but never really success with foot on the outside. I usually just a flicker/blinding jab because of the angle. Do you have success with that one and any tips?

Comment

Im terrible witth jabs upstairs, but am effective with jabs to the body. I dunno. Then again, im always sparring somebody who has the size/height advantage aswell.

That said, i usually just throw the jab upstairs to set up the right to the body, followed up with coming back upstairs with a hook. So my upstairs jab is not effective as far as landing, but it still serves its purpose.

Comment

Working...
        X