No announcement yet.

ames DeGale gets European title fight against Piotr Wilczewski

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ames DeGale gets European title fight against Piotr Wilczewski

Former British super-middleweight champion James DeGale will challenge for the European title in September against Poland's Piotr Wilczewski.

It will be the 25-year-old's first bout since losing the British title on points to George Groves in May.

Wilczewski, who won the vacant European and WBO Intercontinental titles in March, has lost only once in 30 fights.

"Challenging for the European title is a fantastic opportunity to get myself back in the big picture," DeGale said.

"I've been hard in training since my last fight and I'm ready to box tomorrow if I need to, come September I'll be in great shape."

DeGale's loss to Groves in May was contentious. The Londoner had been heavily favoured to beat his long-term rival, but lost on a split decision.

"The fight with Groves is in the past, I still believe I beat him, but I'm a positive person and now I'm focused on the future and a win will put me in a great position for a world title," he said.

Continue reading the main story
    I'm focused on the future and a win will put me in a great position for a world title
    James DeGale
    "My promoter Frank Warren has done a great job in getting me home advantage for this title shot and now I've got to go out there, do the business and win it in style.

"In fact, I'm about to sign a new three-year deal with Frank and I'm really happy that he will continue to build my career, as he has done since I turned professional.

"He brought Amir Khan back from a devastating knockout loss to a world title in only three fights so I know that he can do it for me," DeGale added.

Prior to his defeat to Groves, the former Olympic gold medallist had won his first 10 fights.

And Warren believes the bout with Wilczewski is a pivotal moment in his career.

"This is a make or break fight for James," he said.

"He's got a big opportunity in front of him against Wilczewski and now has to go out there and deliver the goods and show the fans what he can do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14046382.stm

Very good news,will be interesting too see how he bounces back,i expect him too be fine but only time will tell

Comment

hell be ranked 3rd by wbo if he wins

Comment

Originally posted by JonoYoungP4P View Post
        haha crazy.

Comment

As usual with these match-ups it depends whether the pole can punch.

Personally, I thought the one Clev fought even without a punch was decent and it's a shame his face fell apart.

Comment

degale will tattoo him with his jab

Comment

Originally posted by JonoYoungP4P View Post
              possibly but he will be closer to a title shot than Groves if he wins... European is normally the stepping stone to world... so perhaps a Groves rematch will be sooner rather than later

Comment

also in the thread title: ames Degale.

I like that idea, DeGale loses a letter of his name for every fight he loses. Groves took that 'J'

After 11 losses he will cease to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_1985 View Post
                  also in the thread title: ames Degale.

I like that idea, DeGale loses a letter of his name for every fight he loses. Groves took that 'J'

After 11 losses he will cease to exist.
                  haha

Comment

Groves schooled him.

Comment

Working...
                    X