Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toney's coach did a terrible job

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a boxer can do good things in the mma but he has to be near his prime not like Toney and have trained a few years in the other aspects of mma. I know people don't like him but perhaps a David haye who seems to have trained a bit in mma and pretty much called the fight spot on

Comment

Originally posted by WAR FERGIE View Post
      I think a boxer can do good things in the mma but he has to be near his prime not like Toney and have trained a few years in the other aspects of mma. I know people don't like him but perhaps a David haye who seems to have trained a bit in mma and pretty much called the fight spot on
      you can't really duck fighters in MMA. but on the other hand MMA doesn't have the klitschkos either.

Comment

Originally posted by kenso View Post
        you can't really duck fighters in MMA. but on the other hand MMA doesn't have the klitschkos either.
        well of course you can talk about **** to do with his ducking..

But he is the kind of boxer who could do something on mma fast hands, big time power and he has studied mma and worked on it a bit. I personally think someone with a boxing base who has trained in the other bits can do good things

Comment

what puzzles me is why toney didnt throw a punch like he said he was gonna do if couture tried shooting in

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla Dogs View Post
            what puzzles me is why toney didnt throw a punch like he said he was gonna do if couture tried shooting in
            My only guess was he was expecting doubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakutogi-Gumi View Post
              My only guess was he was expecting doubles.
              man when i saw that i was just like WTF.....WHAT DO YOU KNOW????......................and accepted what was about to happen lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                I accept that Toney is old and fat. I accept that he had zero understanding of the ground game and that, due to his attitude, may not have been the most willing student.

But that was terrible.

I've not seen the replay yet, but it looked to me that Randy shot for a takedown, poorly. He was too far away and so didn't get to where he needed to be to get a good hold of Toney's legs. Toney then made the mistake of trying to sprawl (I think? hard to tell with such shoddy technique) even though there was no need to. He then ended up on his back giving up side-control. Pulling guard would've been bad enough, but side control?

There's no need to sprawl if a takedown is that bad. He should've either stepped back out of range or tried to punch Couture while he was down.

Then on the ground he didn't keep his knee up to attempt to block the transition to mount, and he didn't use his hips or elbow or anything really on the ground. So he ends up mounted and finished.

I started BJJ a month ago and am under no illusions about my abilities, but even I would've done better than that on the ground.

Toney would've lost even with a great camp. But by getting some random nobody to train him he ensured that he had even less of a chance. He even came in fatter than expected despite apparently training twice per day.

By the way, I don't think Couture should get his black belt off of that performance. There was nothng wrong with it, but there are white belts who could've won that fight IMO. Perhaps he was already set to get it but they just waited for a big occassion.
                Do you reckon he did this so the trainer would get "less" % share of the purse? Imagine, hes thinkin all MMA trainers are gonna teach the same sh.it and imaaa knock his as.s out with a punch anyway, so let me go for the "cheapest". He was set to earn $500k rite??

Can you see where the poor mentality comes from? Not pride or fighting heart, but MONEY.. How sad.

Comment

let that fat **** go back to boxing hopefully he gets knocked out in his next fight. what an embarrassment this guy is, opens his mouth, shows up like all he did for 1 year when he was supposed to train MMA was eat and sleep. that was such a pathetic takedown attempt by randy and this fat **** just falls down like butterbean did in his last mma fight and then a few seconds later he just quits. i also love how he said he will be back. **** you james. lost everything you worked for the past few decades just to get a good payday. unless the only reason you boxed was to make money which in your case might just be true. sad sack of ****

Comment

Just re-watched the fight for the first time and you guys are right about the takedown. It looked weak and too low/shot from too far out when watching it live, but maybe that was just my lack of wrestling or excitement getting the better of me. It looks a lot more effective the second time around lol.

Originally posted by Met-Rx View Post
                    Do you reckon he did this so the trainer would get "less" % share of the purse? Imagine, hes thinkin all MMA trainers are gonna teach the same sh.it and imaaa knock his as.s out with a punch anyway, so let me go for the "cheapest". He was set to earn $500k rite??

Can you see where the poor mentality comes from? Not pride or fighting heart, but MONEY.. How sad.
                    Maybe.

I think that Toney should've gone to one of the top camps, at least one of which would've wanted him. Maybe money is the reason he didn't, but the main reason may be that he wanted a coach who wouldn't care if he ate too much and didn't put 100% in.

Toney has spent years being his own boss and putting in as much effort as he could be bothered with, in the belief that his natural ability would carry him through. I doubt he wanted to change that pattern at such a late stage in his fighting career.

Comment

That's the thing. Everyone's doors are opened. All he needed to do was walk through.

Comment

Working...
                      X