Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the hip rotation more like slamming a door shut?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the hip rotation more like slamming a door shut?

Or is it more like a pure rotation like as if a central axis or as if pole went through your body?

Im trying to work out how the hip joint moves during a punch!

It seems like its not a perfect rotation because the part of your hip up front dosnt move as far back as the rear of the hip moves foward. !???

Like slamming a door.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      Like slamming a door.
      Thanks greynotsoold!

Thing is some trainers say its like spinning the hips as if there was a pole going through your body and you rotate on both hip joints at the same time, and some say its more like slamming a door shut where the hip pivots around the front or back hip joint.

Since you and other trainers say one thing and other trainers say another, how do I know which is right and which is wrong?

Thanks mate!

Comment

In Edwin L Haislet's book, either Boxing or On Boxing, he uses both analogies. At the beginning, when he is speaking about the punching motion in general, he uses the pole through the middle. When he talks about specific punches, the straight right in particular, he uses the slamming door.
        Over years of reading and collecting 'how to...' boxing books, his is the best I have found. Especially his descriptions of how to throw each punch.

Comment

In Edwin L Haislet's book, either Boxing or On Boxing, he uses both analogies. At the beginning, when he is speaking about the punching motion in general, he uses the pole through the middle. When he talks about specific punches, the straight right in particular, he uses the slamming door.
          Over years of reading and collecting 'how to...' boxing books, his is the best I have found. Especially his descriptions of how to throw each punch.
          Thanks mate, isnt that a really good but really old fashioned book? Like dosnt he teach to twirl the shoulders to move the hips? When really you should be moving the hips 1st to rotate the torso and then the shoulders for optimum power snap and speed!?

Comment

Punching mechanics hasn't changed...Every thing he describes, punching wise, begins at the floor.

Comment

Punching mechanics hasn't changed...Every thing he describes, punching wise, begins at the floor.

But he says twirl the shoulders, that starts with the back and chest muscles and gets the torso hips and legs rotating as well, it gets everything moving and gets some power from the hips but its the wrong order sequence.

The modern way is to start rotating the feet then the hips the hips stretch the torso which snaps the shoulders and arms.

The way he describes it the back and chest turn the shoulders which turn the hips which turns the feet, so you get strong hip power his way because they follow so closely behind the shoulders but its less powerful than starting from the feet.

!?

Comment

Im not trying to argue right or wrong with you I greatly respect your opinion and would like to see your response. I would like to be proven wrong because it means I will learn something, but if you do both methods slowely you will see they have a different order a different sequence of events, one goes from top to bottem and the other from bottem to top.

Comment

Every punch you throw starts at the floor (with the exception of the jab, because no weight transfers when you jab.)With the straight right, for example, the weight goes onto the left foot/leg (thus, the left side of the body becomes the 'hinge' side of the door); A sharp pivot on the right toe turns the right hip and that turns the right shoulder- slamming the door- which drives the right arm, which propels the fist.
                  When throwing a left hook, the weight goes onto the right foot/leg, and the right side becomes the 'hinges.'

Comment

I think the thread starter is over-thinking it. Hip rotation, is a twisting force. That's it.

Comment

Working...
                    X