No announcement yet.

How good was Ken Norton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Ken Norton?

Ken Norton fought during what was arguably the greatest era ever for heavyweights. He`s one of only 2 guys to be Ali during his prime. But he also lost to Ali as well as Frazier, Foreman, Holmes and Ernie Shavers. I believe in a different era, like now, he would be a dominant heavyweight.

Originally posted by Kid Canada
    Ken Norton fought during what was arguably the greatest era ever for heavyweights. He`s one of only 2 guys to be Ali during his prime. But he also lost to Ali as well as Frazier, Foreman, Holmes and Ernie Shavers. I believe in a different era, like now, he would be a dominant heavyweight.
    first of all, nobody beat ali in his prime ok? ali was friggin' 31 when they fought! you call that a prime? some people say frazier wasn't in his prime when he fought ali the first time when he was 27! so imagine how ali was at 31.

and to answer your question, norton was pretty good. he was good enough to beat ali. but he had an awkward style that would be suicide against a big puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Canada
      Ken Norton was a very good fighter. He was not great how ever, and him defeating Muhammad Ali is a typical example of the "styles makes fights" principle.

He would probably dominate the division of today.

By the way, Norton didn't lose to Joe Frazier. They never fought. He would probably lose if they had fought though..

Comment

I think he was a decent fighter but no more, he could box a bit and punch but he was knocked out four times although two of those times were against two of the hardest hitters ever in Foreman and Shavers.

Ali did have trouble with him and lost once against him but beat him twice in returns and we are talking about an Ali then past his best so I dont think it means that much after all Ali lost to a couple of fighters that wouldn't have been fit to tie his boot laces in his prime during that time.
        Last edited by MickyHatton; 12-20-2005, 10:56 AM.

Comment

To say Norton would be dominant might be a stretch, but he was a damn good fighter. He was above average, but not great. His awkward style gave fits to Holmes and Ali. Some say he had a weak chin, but I disagree. The Shavers and Cooney kos were way past his best. He basically had nothing left after the Holmes fight.

Being ko'd by Big George is nothing to be ashamed of...ask Frazier about that. He would definitely be a champ today.

Comment

If ken norton and david Tua fought today, Norton would have his back on the canvas in the first round.

Comment

norton was one of the greatest of all time, very underrated boxer, only man to beat ali 3 times

Comment

he was good i don't know if he is great. if it was up to me he would not be in the hall of fame even if i am a fan of his .yes he could beat a Byrd a Ruiz and some of the others but never a Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis,maybe not even a Buster Douglas well ok maybe a buster . but for the most part his claim to fame was that he beat and had some good fights with Ali and the Holmes fight. dont forget he was given his title and never won it in the ring ..you can't even say that about Buster. where do i rate him around the same as the bone crusher smith's the ruiz's of boxing not the best but not the worst .. it would be hard to find a era he would ever dominate other then the time after holmes and before tyson and that was not long but even michael spinks may have beat him at that time or like i said a bone crusher smith or buster ...so he was good i like him but to say he is top 20 i feel is a little to much

Comment

norton was one of the greatest of all time, very underrated boxer, only man to beat ali 3 times
                  He beat Ali once man. And Ali was past his prime.

Comment

imagine if he was around today, he would be the champ for a long while

Comment

Working...
                    X