Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Artur Beterbiev Departing DAZN, Heading To ESPN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever he's doing, he needs to kick on now. He's 33 and fought once in 2017 and once in 2018. It's time to get these big LHW fights.
    Last edited by Chrismart; 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

This is becoming weird. The good news is supreme time waster Al Haymon is out of the title picture, but strangely the most vocal unification rabble-rouser was Bivol.

Unlike the 160 pound division, the 175 has real depth, with prospects, up and comers, contenders, titlists, journeymen, gatekeepers all of who are pretty solid.

Now he's the odd duck out. Nietzsche was profoundly right when he said 'Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.'

For those that think the current title holding generation has plenty of time to mess around with mismatches then here is the age list:

Gvozdyk: 31
      Alvarez: 34
      Beterbiev: 33
      Bivol: 28
      Sven Fornling: 30 (IBO)

Contenders
      Badou Jack: 35 (and a little shopworn. If he doesn't get a shot after Browne and wins a belt, I will really feel as if he was one of the most entertaining and stay busy fighters around the 168-175 division in the last 5-10 years).
      Marcus Browne:28
      Joe Smith Jr: 29
      Anthony Yarde: 27
      Umar Salamov: 24

Titlists, gatekeepers and quality journeymen

Igor Mikhalin: 33
      Callum Johnson: 33
      Sergey Kovalev: 35
      Isaac Chilemba:31
      Jean Pascal: 36
      Sullivan barerra: 36
      Enrico Koelling: 28

Prospects

Joshua Buatsi: 25
      Damien Hooper: 26
      Adam Deines: 27

Obviously not a complete list, subjective, but the point I'm making is that unless (with the exception of Bivol) unification bouts are signed no later than the end of next year, we may end up with a whole bunch of Adonis Stevenson types with nobody willing to fight one another.

Unless your David Lemieux, who fought GGG as his first fight after winning the IBF strap, most belt holders want to try and build a following, get sponsorship, chase after the biggest purses, and it is only the exceptional few who just love fighting and will fight whoever is put in front of them.

If Bivol fights someone that makes us stand up and take notice next I'll be happy, as that'll put pressure on the others.
      Lastly, I get the feeling Alvarez has come out of obscurity comparatively quickly and may be looking to dominate the division early. Let's just hope we don't get a repeat of the waste that was the 160-pound division.

Comment

With Gvozdyk, Alvarez, Beterbiev, and Kovalev all on ESPN, Bivol decision to sign with DAZN doesn't seem like a good move now

Comment

So much for Hearn controlling the LHW division.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
            kovalev is with espn now isnt he? maybe we can get kov/beterbiev
            KANvolev wont get past Alvarez...

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              So much for Hearn controlling the LHW division.
              If he had Beterbiev along with Bivol and Buatsi? Then he would have at least had a share of the division. Not no more though. The LHW division is essentially ESPN's for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by DougalDylan View Post
                I wouldn't say Al Haymon is done yet that's a bit harsh, I don't think Biev running from him will sink him ..
                DAZN is the sinking ship...

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                  If he had Beterbiev along with Bivol and Buatsi? Then he would have at least had a share of the division. Not no more though. The LHW division is essentially ESPN's for the time being.
                  That's my point.

He said he controls LHW with his guys there. But that's rapidly changed.

Comment

Beterviev entire career has been a mess, long layoffs, turning down or backing out of fights and he's been connected with top power brokers in boxing basically through out. He was with Haymon for years never got big fights and turned down a career payday and shot at Kovalev. He was supposedly with Hearn and turned down a big opportunity to fight on the undercard of Canelo fight. The smith fight was announced and he backed out that fight. Now he's moving to ESPN hopefully he actually gets his career on track and starts making meaningful fights. But we have had numerous power brokers guiding his career and somehow some way the fights never happen and he's already 33 and wasted his prime away.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      That's my point.

He said he controls LHW with his guys there. But that's rapidly changed.
                      He actually said that? Didn't know that. Then yeah, obviously that isn't the case then. Actually it wouldn't have been the case even if he had Beterbiev due to ESPN having Alvarez/Gvozdyk/Ramirez and potentially Kovalev. How do you control the division where there are equally the amount of top guys on another network?

Comment

Working...
                      X