Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winky Wright wants shot at Sergio Martinez.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winky Wright wants shot at Sergio Martinez.

WINKY WRIGHT WANTS SHOT AT SERGIO MARTINEZ
    By G. Leon

GL: I saw you in Atlantic City over the weekend. Can you give us some thoughts on the main event?

Winky Wright: "Shorty is a great fighter. It was exciting because they both came out fighting and Sergio [Martinez] caught [Paul Williams] with a perfect left hand and that's all she wrote."

GL: How surprised were you by the outcome?

Winky Wright: "I was surprised. I knew the fight wasn't going to go the distance because they both came out swinging for the fences, but nobody expected it to be over early like that."

GL: I understand that you were there to let the boxing world know that you want a shot at Martinez. Is that correct?

WW: "You heard right. I hope that we can get it done. I would love to come to an agreement to make a fight with him. I feel that it would be a great fight for both of us and most of all the fans."

GL: How does a fight between you and Sergio play out?

WW: "Martinez is a very sharp fighter and so am I, so they fans would get an action packed fight fought at a very fast pace. A lot of people don't think I have what it takes to beat him and I want to prove them wrong."

GL: Critics are going to say you got handled by Williams who just got destroyed by Martinez. Why you should you get the fight?

WW: "Styles make fights. How many times you seen one fighter beat somebody and then that guy turns around and loses to somebody that the guy he just beat handled easily. It's all about styles G and like I said, being off for so long and having to fight an awkward fighter like Paul Williams, who is very tall, it was difficult. Sergio is a sharp boxer with good reflexes but he's not tall and awkward."

GL: Does the fact that the middleweight division is very thin help your position?

WW: "I think it does. The middleweight division is thin, so no matter what anybody might have to say I'm confident that I'm going to get my opportunity because he needs to fight big names and recognizable American stars. People like you have told me that I'm a hall of famer so I think I deserve another opportunity against the best to prove my greatness."

GL: We'll see where it goes. Closing thoughts?

WW: "Look out for me to be back next year, hopefully against Sergio Martinez."

From Boxing talk

Winky is what you would call a "slick" fighter, not Paul Williams

Comment

wow. this fight could be PPV worthy if marketed correctly.

Winky would have to win impressively, though, before getting a fight with Sergio.

I'd watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by FootWork777 View Post
        Winky is what you would call a "slick" fighter, not Paul Williams
        Neither of them are slick fighters. Winky Wright is like a Joshua Clottey but who actually won on the big stage and Winky actually has a great jab. Just couldn't put his style to good use against some one like Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by NesNY View Post

Winky would have to win impressively, though, before getting a fight with Sergio.

I'd watch it.
          They should do Kermit Cintron vs Winky Wright.

If Winky can get past Kermit easy that would build up this match.

Winky just needs to fight anybody.

Most inactive fighter ever.

Comment

I'd watch this.

Comment

I would like to see this fight. Winky's guard would be up all night. lol Good match up.

Comment

Originally posted by NesNY View Post

I'd watch it.
                This is not a PPV fight. Unless you want only 10 people to watch this fight.

And Winky did not take a tune up for Williams, why would he take one for Martinez? If he's gonna fight Martinez, he's probably gonna waste no time and just fight Martinez straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by sigrab jr View Post
                  This is not a PPV fight. Unless you want only 10 people to watch this fight.

And Winky did not take a tune up for Williams, why would he take one for Martinez? If he's gonna fight Martinez, he's probably gonna waste no time and just fight Martinez straight away.
                  Then hes going to lose and blame it on inactivity.

I can see it now.

Comment

Someone tell me what Winky has done recently to warrant a shot at Martinez? Nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X