Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rock: "Rugby is tougher than American Football"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

love that people keep on picking out random definitions of 'athleticism'.

Being athletic is directly related to what kind of physical exertion your body needs to achieve... so in that sense participants at the highest levels of both sports are phenomenal athletes.

Also people saying that NFL players would walk into rugby teams 'if trained properly' are fully ******ed. The same is true visa versa. If you reach the top level of either of these sports then your body is genetically perfect to the minutest detail for that sport/ position you play. Its why i always take issue with people thinking that loads of top american sports stars would automatically be great boxers if they did that instead

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
      post the top 10 rugby players physical measurements and ill post 100 nfl players whose size and measurements dwarf those 10.

ill even post their 40 yard dash times.

you might have a point with offensive linemen and defensive tackles but the rest; linebackers, corners, wideouts, running backs, safties, are all athletic specimens of the highest order.

all you have to do is watch one nfl combine and this discussion is over.

again, dwayne johnson did not play in the highest level of american football. heck he couldnt even cut it in canadian football.

take what he says with a huge grain of salt.
      Here's 10 off the top of my head, and yeah, you might be able to pull up some random fat ****s that are a bit bigger, but you won't be "dwarfing them", i've done my research and there are some nfl players over 6'7" 300lb but they look soft, they would have to lose a lot of flab to be able to go 80 minutes, and if bakkies botha bulked up to just make kamikaze strikes he'd be over 300lb too, so i think it evens out.

1. Ali Williams 6'7.5" 260lb
      2 Bakkies Botha 6'7.5" 272lb
      3. Martin Johnson 6'7" 273lb
      4. Luke Chartris 6'9" 286lb
      5. Tony Buckley 6'5" 302lb
      6. Andries Bekker 6'10" 265lb
      7. Jonah Lomu 6'5" 272lb
      8. John Eagles 6'7" 260lb
      9. James Horwill 6'7" 260lb
      10. Nemani Nadolo 6'6" 290lb

And again, all these guys are in a game where they are playing a full 40 minutes with no breaks, then a quick break and another 40 minutes.

Back before rugby turned PRO, the average player was like 5'11" 180lb, but in the modern era they are a hell of a lot bigger, when Lomu was playing he was considered enormous, but nowadays he'd just be a bit bigger than average, and every year the average size is going up and up.

Interestingly, a lot of fans think the sport is actually less interesting to watch nowadays as they preferred the speed and flair that the older, smaller players had, although if you watch the way the All Blacks play, I think they are more skilled than the old school, but that's just me
      Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 11-26-2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

What's that one bearded Rugby player from France, I believe? Dude is huge and has a thick beard and long hair. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
          post the top 10 rugby players physical measurements and ill post 100 nfl players whose size and measurements dwarf those 10.

ill even post their 40 yard dash times.

you might have a point with offensive linemen and defensive tackles but the rest; linebackers, corners, wideouts, running backs, safties, are all athletic specimens of the highest order.

all you have to do is watch one nfl combine and this discussion is over.

again, dwayne johnson did not play in the highest level of american football. heck he couldnt even cut it in canadian football.

take what he says with a huge grain of salt.
          wasn't even the best player at his position in College...but Warren Sapp is Warren Sapp.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
            What's that one bearded Rugby player from France, I believe? Dude is huge and has a thick beard and long hair. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
            you are talking about sebstian chabal, the caveman, broke Ali Williams jaw in the tackle

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              you are talking about sebstian chabal, the caveman, broke Ali Williams jaw in the tackle

Yess! That guy is a goddamn fkn specimen. Makes Gattusso look like a *****cat in comparison.

Comment

I thought we already knew this?

Comment

The Prince Of Wales agrees with The Rock.

Comment

As far as physically demanding.....yes.

American Football players are far more athletic and skilled though, and it's probably harder to get into the NFL than professional Rugby.

Comment

Physically yeah probably but mentally I don't know.

Football players (especially the quarter back) have to learn 1000's of plays, different formations, audibles...NFL is just as much strategy as it is physical tbh

Comment

Working...
                      X