Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The truth behind JMM's $5 million demand!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth behind JMM's $5 million demand!

MANILA, Philippines — Despite the tremendous odds, Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) is still nursing hopes of seeing Manny Pacquiao take on Juan Manuel Marquez on May 7, 2011 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

GBP Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that the fight the public wants to see is a third meeting between Pacquiao and Marquez, who fights under the GBP banner.

“I really think if Pacquiao is going to fight May 7, on Cinco de Mayo weekend, you have to do Marquez on the Mexican holiday,” Schaefer told fight scribe Dan Rafael.

“Do you know how big that would be? It’s a big fight no matter when it would be, but it would be even bigger on the Mexican holiday in Las Vegas.”

It’s no secret that Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum and Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser Mike Koncz are batting for Shane Mosley as the next opponent but Schaefer insists that it is the matchup that is made in heaven.

Schaefer has been constantly emailing with Todd Duboef, who is the Top Rank president and Arum’s stepson, on the subject of Pacquiao’s much-awaited ring return next year.

“I told Todd that I thought it was the right thing to do and that Marquez makes more sense,” Schaefer said.

Schaefer said it was just reasonable that GBP is asking for a hefty sum from Top Rank since Top Rank would be the one staging the fight.

Schaefer said Marquez’s asking price would be much less if Arum decides to co-promote with GBP.

Arum and Pacquiao are going through the pertinent details of the 2011 fight and a deal could be in place by the end of this week when they confer once again during Pacquiao’s 32nd birthday bash on Friday night.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/293219...-marquez-again

Comment

He still won't do it. too much risk.

Comment

Marquez isnt a draw. Never has been never will be. Why should he get all that money when everyone is just paying to see Pacquiao. He's never beaten an elite fighter. $5 million is an insult and joke. Hes just gonna piss it all away anyways only to drink it all up a few seconds later.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
          Marquez isnt a draw. Never has been never will be. He's never beaten an elite fighter. $5 million is an insult and joke. Hes just gonna piss it all away anyways only to drink it all up a few seconds later.
          Oh right ya know because ya know Marquez Pacquiao 2 sold out the Mandalay Bay and did 600k PPV all because of Pacquiao right? Oh wait, then why did he do 150k with David Diaz? Seriously, get the hell out. You're a joke.

Comment

Marquez isnt a draw. Never has been never will be. Why should he get all that money when everyone is just paying to see Pacquiao. He's never beaten an elite fighter. $5 million is an insult and joke. Hes just gonna piss it all away anyways only to drink it all up a few seconds later.
            When has Shaker Shane been a draw?

Comment

This article sums up what I initially thought when they said JMM priced himself out by asking "double" what me made in the Mayweather bout. GBP has to get their piece of the pie somewhere if they're letting Top Rank do all the promoting.

Comment

Comment

Soooo, Top Prank wants GBP to make nothing on this fight?

Comment

5 Million doesn't seem that unreasonable when Margarito was guaranteed 4 million, I believe. Also, its a fight the fans are picking over Mosley. Its too bad money dictates nearly everything in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X