No announcement yet.

Boxing and weight training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humble fighter View Post
    So i have been doing some weight training lately, trying to move up weight (im very skinny built). The only Weight training i do is for the legs, shoulder and back. Like squats so on. Not any crappy biceps curls whilst jacking off. Should i focus on explosiveness with weights? Im trying to gain some decent power in my fists. What is the best option? Btw on my back training im not going explosive ofc
    A lot of people will tell you that weight lifting is not good for boxing. That it will make muscles bigger and more oxygen consuming.

To me that's bro science.

What I'm gonna say is full bro science too, but I think it's ok to weight lift. I think all fighters do it (unless they create their muscle by using steroids). So, yes, go and weight lift and don't listen to the fools.

Low weight/high reps works fine but it's best when you take steroids. When you don't do it, you need a different approach. I think you should try lifting mid-heavy weights. All kind of exercises.
    Last edited by _Maxi; 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

If using weights put emphasis on the negative rep, that is, as you are bringing the weight down, go slow and stretch the muscle to full capacity. Get a good burn going. The negative repetition is what develops the tendons and ligaments, which is where your punching power comes from.

Be sure and include body weight exercises such as dips, pull-ups, push-ups, etc.

Comment

I think explosive jump squats are a horrible choice and will likely end up causing numerous injuries...

Slow negative, powerful positive..

As was mentioned above, pumping out loads of reps with light weights is for juiced bodybuilders, who have already built size with big weights

Comment

Working...
        X