No announcement yet.

need good defense / guarding low and high

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need good defense / guarding low and high

I've been boxing for almost a year now but I still lack defensive skill.
    I don't have much experience sparring.

I recently had my first sparring session with another beginner, rather than a trainer or pro. I caught him with a hook, and a straight right square on the nose so unfortunately the trainer stopped the sparring early because he was a little hurt.
    But before that, I was getting hit a lot and I realized how bad my defense is, even though I'm trying to think defensively when I practice.

Also when I practice light sparring with my trainer, who often tells me that I'm blocking the body shots too low, leaving my head wide open.

I'd like to know some good ways to get better at defense. Also what can I ask my trainer and other gym members to help me practice with?

Another thing is guarding low and high. Is it a matter of speed? Or should I stop blocking too low when my opponent throws body shots?

Thanks

For blocking body shots use your elbows and forearms. You should bend at the waist and at the knees.

The trick is to keep your hands up guarding your face while you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      For blocking body shots use your elbows and forearms. You should bend at the waist and at the knees.

Ah, i see! Up until now I was dropping my arms.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
        Ah, i see! Up until now I was dropping my arms.
        Thanks!
        Use a Slip Bag, double end bag.

Move your head after every combination - do that with your mitts, partner drills and heavybag

Keep your hands higher.

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post
          Use a Slip Bag, double end bag.

Move your head after every combination - do that with your mitts, partner drills and heavybag

Keep your hands higher.
          Ok I'll try it, thanks!

Comment

I've been boxing for almost a year now but I still lack defensive skill.
            I don't have much experience sparring.

I recently had my first sparring session with another beginner, rather than a trainer or pro. I caught him with a hook, and a straight right square on the nose so unfortunately the trainer stopped the sparring early because he was a little hurt.
            But before that, I was getting hit a lot and I realized how bad my defense is, even though I'm trying to think defensively when I practice.

Also when I practice light sparring with my trainer, who often tells me that I'm blocking the body shots too low, leaving my head wide open.

I'd like to know some good ways to get better at defense. Also what can I ask my trainer and other gym members to help me practice with?

Another thing is guarding low and high. Is it a matter of speed? Or should I stop blocking too low when my opponent throws body shots?

Thanks
            just remember this when you are throwing.... throw your **** and look for something coming back at you. If you see it coming for you than counter it.

It's all in your eyes my boy, you are still learning to see.

What are your eyes transfixed on when sparring?
            Last edited by Rockin'; 05-27-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

This is the advice that I would have given but ShoulderRoll posted it first. @ 2:05 of the video, you'll see Roger Mayweather training a fighter one way to block a body punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5hgw0GfsI

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                just remember this when you are throwing.... throw your **** and look for something coming back at you. If you see it coming for you than counter it.

It's all in your eyes my boy, you are still learning to see.

What are your eyes transfixed on when sparring?
                Thanks!
                I find that my eyes are fixed on my opponent's chest... I don't know why. Should I be looking at his eyes?

Originally posted by Mathiaz View Post
                This is the advice that I would have given but ShoulderRoll posted it first. @ 2:05 of the video, you'll see Roger Mayweather training a fighter one way to block a body punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5hgw0GfsI
                Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.

Comment

Thanks!
                  I find that my eyes are fixed on my opponent's chest... I don't know why. Should I be looking at his eyes?

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.
                  Nope, keep your eyes transfixed right in the middle of his chest. You can see it all looking there. His hands, his hips, his feet.... and you know where his head is. It'll show you everything that you need to see......

Comment

Ok! Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
                    X