Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only kat that dug the IDEA of the super six tourney...but hated the format?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only kat that dug the IDEA of the super six tourney...but hated the format?

Love the idea of having a tourney like this to determine who is who in the weight divs.....hope they continue to do it.....but I absolutely despised the format of the tourney....and how long it took....I think a one and done set up with brackets and seeds would be awesome......make it a big field too....like 16.....champs get #1 seeds.... up n comers get lower seeds with contenders filling up the middle.....or maybe something completely different but better than they had for this one.....whachu got?
    Last edited by extracurRICular; 12-19-2011, 03:24 PM.

I think most of us agree the format kinda sucked, it took too long, lots of problems injuries etc.

but in the end it got us excited and talking about 168 pounds and made a lot of fights we probably would have never got.

It was a learning experience too, I think the next big tournament showtime (or hbo) does it will be single elimination.

Comment

Liked it, good idea, would like to see more. Look at how many injuries there were with 6 people and it taking what, 2 years. Perhaps SMW is a weight prone to it, but there's been a lot of injuries considering guys used to fight more regularly years ago.

If you add more participants and try to do it in a quicker turn around I think it falls even more victim to injuries, drop outs and complications.

Also, isn't this further undermining what rankings and belts are supposed to be achieving?

It's worrying that things have gotten so un-clear in terms of accurately ranking boxers and the top not facing each other enough, that were now adding more tiers, in the shape of competitions put on by networks and such.

It underlines what a complicated, political minefield boxing has become which is what's putting people off following boxing.

Comment

Good idea, but the fact that Bute wasn't invited to join, near-retirement Taylor, Rookies Dirrell and Ward, and unproven middleweight Arthur Abraham were invited, coupled with the injuries, the pull outs, how long it took, hometown disputes, etc. it became borderline jokish.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
          Liked it, good idea, would like to see more. Look at how many injuries there were with 6 people and it taking what, 2 years. Perhaps SMW is a weight prone to it, but there's been a lot of injuries considering guys used to fight more regularly years ago.

If you add more participants and try to do it in a quicker turn around I think it falls even more victim to injuries, drop outs and complications.

Also, isn't this further undermining what rankings and belts are supposed to be achieving?

It's worrying that things have gotten so un-clear in terms of accurately ranking boxers and the top not facing each other enough, that were now adding more tiers, in the shape of competitions put on by networks and such.

It underlines what a complicated, political minefield boxing has become which is what's putting people off following boxing.
          That was a joke before the tourney....and most def is now....anything that gets us away from that joke of a sytem ...I a-ok by me...true story!

Comment

Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post
            Love the idea of having a tourney like this to determine who is who in the weight divs.....hope they continue to do it.....but I absolutely despised the format of the tourney....and how long it took....I think a one and done set up with brackets and seeds would be awesome......make it a big field too....like 16.....champs get #1 seeds.... up n comers get lower seeds with contenders filling up the middle.....or maybe something completely different but better than they had for this one.....whachu got?
            It was my idea.

I thought there was a whole left in the SM division after Calzaghe moved up and retrired and there were a lot of pretenders to the crown and a the top 6 in the division could have a sort of mini tournament, so a new champ could be crowned.

Comment

they had to do it that way.

guaranteed each fighter multiple big paydays.

a one and done and maybe it wouldn't have happened.

also all of them not being a big name helped.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                It was my idea.

I thought there was a whole left in the SM division after Calzaghe moved up and retrired and there were a lot of pretenders to the crown and a the top 6 in the division could have a sort of mini tournament, so .............

Yo D4thincarnation im really happy for you im gonna let you finish but showtime had one of the greatest ideas of ALL TIME.......OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!

Comment

Yo D4thincarnation im really happy for you im gonna let you finish but showtime had one of the greatest ideas of ALL TIME.......OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A42503753

The players were different bu the idea was there.

This was a year before Showtime announced the tourny.

The situation was right at super middle for the tournament to work.

Needs a few tweaks but whenever an undisputed champ moves up or retires and tournament such as this could be a good idea.

Comment

Probably should have went with a 8-10 Round Format, maybe they go 8 Rounds for the 1st Round of the Tournament, after then 10, then 12 in the finals or something like that

I thought it was a great Idea! It just took too long!

Comment

Working...
                    X