Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanghai private school gives students a very dirty joke for English homework

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Shanghai private school gives students a very dirty joke for English homework

Have you heard the one about mommy's washcloth?

by Alex Linder
    January 25, 2019
    in News

An expensive private school in Shanghai has found itself in trouble with the relevant authorities yet again after giving students a dirty joke as a homework assignment.
    Over their winter break, 8th-graders at the SMIC Private School were told to give their thoughts on a story called “Mommy’s Washcloth.” Here’s how that story goes:
    There was a little boy whose mother was about to have a baby. One day the little boy walked in and saw his mother naked, he asked his mother what was the hair in between her legs? She responded, “It’s my washcloth.” Weeks later after the mother had the baby, the young boy walked in on his mother again, but while she was in the hospital the doctor shaved her pubic hair, and the boy asked his mother: “What happened to your washcloth?” The mother responded, “I lost it.”
    The little boy, trying to be helpful, set out to find his mother’s washcloth. A few days later the little boy went running to his mother yelling and screaming, “I found your washcloth!” The mother thinking that the child was just playing went along with the boy and asked, “Where did you find it?” The boy answered, “The maid has it and she’s washing daddy’s face with it.”

After being read by one bewildered parent and uploaded online, the story quickly went viral across Chinese social media, attracting the attention of the Shanghai education bureau.
    The bureau soon ordered SMIC to recall the homework and severely punish those responsible. It was later discovered that the story was part of a supplemental textbook published last year by the Atomic Energy Press which aimed to make English learning “fun” and “active” for kids.
    SMIC soon released a statement, apologizing for failing to properly check the contents of the textbook while announcing that the books had been recalled and two of its staff members punished with serious warnings and demerits. The school also declared that it would pursue legal action against the publisher.
    Last October, SMIC found itself engulfed in another scandal after parents discovered moldy tomatoes and expired seasonings inside the school’s cafeteria, leading to the principal getting sacked.

https://shanghai.ist/2019/01/25/shan...lish-homework/

That pretty good.

Comment

Hi there,

I wonder what exactly the task was about that text. Private schools often have issues with that. I worked in one - taught Kinesiology and Sports and just to make students interested in studying, I used a rap song for one of the classes. One of the parents accused me of using materials with abusive language (I should have hidden the letters of the swear and slang words with asterisks).

Comment

Originally posted by Impeacher View Post

(...)
        I didn't even read the content of your post here...

... but I can tell you (from a direct source) that the Chinese don't get shit from the Western Culture, whatsoever... and I even can understand that...

Comment

Hahahah poor kids wondering why a man would eat a washcloth.

Comment

China producing good stand up comedians in private school I recon.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurnotking View Post
              Hi there,

I wonder what exactly the task was about that text. Private schools often have issues with that. I worked in one - taught Kinesiology and Sports and just to make students interested in studying, I used a rap song for one of the classes. One of the parents accused me of using materials with abusive language (I should have hidden the letters of the swear and slang words with asterisks).
              that is why they fried you.. good to see you are back, with an alt.. don't attack me, and I won't attack you.

private schools can decide how and when to do things with their teachers.. There are some great ones in the bay area.

good to see you back... where is siablo? kinda worried, haven't seen him posting much these days..

Comment

Working...
              X