Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardest puncher in the heavy weight division history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah....ima ramble.

Firstly, Stallone and most general public outlets go with PSI because it's a unit the public recognizes not because it's actually a unit that can tell you anything about energy, power, or force. I know fella dropped the Drago clip for levity, but every single time I see any sort of punch or kick measurement it's promotional and closer the what you're watching in Rocky than the reality of measuring strikes.

Fight science is bull****. What was the last thing they made waves over, Ngannu's punch? They gave you a number in "units". Well bubbas I don't expect you need to be a scientist to figure out nothing is measured in simply units. PSI is nearly as useless as units but it is at least a real measurement so I guess Stallone has a leg up one Fight Science.

You don't measure strikes with a g-sensor or a pressure sensor or any type of sensor actually. If you're watching a strike get measured and you see computers and electronic equipment that, friend, is for show. It's all 100% bull**** and not at all science.

A punch would be measured in ft-lbs like any other projectile because from a physicist's perspective it is a projectile and nothing more. You'd only need a weighted pendulum and some measuring tape. No computer, no sensors, none of that bull.

I know because I am a kinesiologist. It is my job. It's not your trainer's job or Al Bernstein's job, or your doctor's job, not a physicist's job, it is a kinesiologist who is the expert on the physics of the human body. Among kinesiologists I am respected enough to be considered an inventor. What I am trying to say is on this subject I am the highest level authority. I'm not just a professional whose profession supersedes all others in this field I am one of if not the best in the world. So, I don't give a damn what boxer, trainer, broadcastor, doctor, physicists, nutritionist, martial artist, guru, or mystic has to say on power. Almost all of them are full of **** and absolutely none of them posses any real grasp on what it is they're talking about....including the very powerful strikers or the ones being hit by them.

Alrighty, let's cover some basic physics youse should have picked up in school and do actually understand but don't hardly ever use. Energy is the transfer of work. Force is energy doing work against another object I.E. moving it. Power is the rate of work over time.

If you think of it like an explosion, yes a nod to Dempsey's book, then it would be best to think of energy as the heat of the explosion, power as the rate of expansion of the explosion, and force as how much the explosion knocks stuff away from it.

So, that said what you're looking for is a high amount of energy. You can have a high amount of power and a high amount of force and never get a transfer rate high enough to KO anyone. A pillow fight is a great example. A good whack with a heavy pillow will move your head quite a bit ( force) and will do it quickly ( power) but won't cause you any injury ( lacks energy )

So what I'm going to tell you next flies in the face of everything you've been told about fighting. Leverage does not give you KOs. I know, hush, just let me do my thing. Leverage gives you control over your opponent. Think about how you apply leverage in your life. Would a lever bar to help you pry something yeah? Well that lever bare did not make you stronger did it? Nope, it applied what strength you already had in a new manner to grant you more control. Same thing in boxing, leverage might make you feel stronger but it's not going to add more energy than what you were already generating. It will give you more force, loads more, and more power, but not more energy and we already explained why you have to start with high levels of energy.

So how do these guys get energy into their strikes? You ever read Jack Dempsey's "championship boxing: explosive punching with an aggressive defense"? I'll be goddamned if that ain't the absolute best way to explain it. What Jack calls the "powerline" I call kinematic chains. Basically think of a newton's cradle. The balls are lined up straight on so that the energy can travel easily from end to end yeah? Well you need to do the same thing with your bones for the same reason. Posture and position give you leverage, but it is structure, powerline, kinematic chains, that give you energy and without energy all the leverage in the world ain't nothing but the wind blowing.

Why? because of the Third Law of course. When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body. Remember energy is absolutely needed for force to matter, but force does matter. So assuming you hit with enough energy to generate a real amount of force then that serious amount of force hits your hand right back at the same time, what happens if your bones are not lined up to transfer the energy properly? Best case scenario you bounce off them. In the worst case you suffer a boxer' fracture...that is why it's called a boxer's fracture. In either case what has happened is you got very little energy transferred in the end and so very little force or power applied. Ok let's revisit with a proper punch. You hit, the energy is there causing a serious conversion to force, the force hits back but your bones are lined up to allow energy to transfer easily so the energy travels from their head, down your fist, through your body to your foot, bounces back off the ground, through your body, through your fist and back into their head. Bam, that my friends is power. Energy generated from the foot, carried through the body, transferred into another body at a very sharp focal point, bounces, goes back down the fist, body, foot, bounces, up the foot, body, fist, and has nowhere to go but into the opponent's dome where it is absorbed. It's only then will you see a head snap back. Energy is there, force is there, and power is there. Energy causes force to push the head back and power does it all quickly.

Going back to a newton's cradle. It is the last ball in line that takes the brunt of the energy, force, and power not the middle ones doing the kinetic transferring. It's the same in humans or any other object. It might not look like it but hard hitters hit hard because they hit you with the floor.

O ****in' K, we're now ready to talk about why Marciano isn't just the hardest hitting HW to be co-signed by real science but the only HW to be co-signed by real science. The US Army measured his punch under real conditions a kinesiologist would use and gave us a measurement in acceptable units. Rocky hit for 925ft-lbs. That's about the muzzle energy of a 45 with extra explosive ammo to a 50 cal with weak ammo. Serious big boy guns at point blank range generate as much energy as Marciano.

That is god damn amazing. I mean it's probably the most astonishing anecdote I've ever heard in sports. 925ft-lbs...are you ****in' ****ting me? That is death.

That said, I do believe the cap on what a human can take was hit a long time ago. I don't doubt that Wilder hits harder, he is much larger and employs the same basic methods. I do however very seriously doubt that Wilder or Marciano could really hit someone with their actual full, and fresh, power and them survive it. Foreman, Frazier, Tyson, Real Deal, take your pick man. I think they can all kill a man with just one punch if that man is to stand there for them like a pendulum and they are totally heartless and punch to kill. Wholeheartedly believe this.

I think HWs don't kill each other because they're all very aware it's a real possibility. Wilder talks about how he wants his opponents to see their families for a reason. He seems to have a complete respect for what type of energy he carries in his hands and the truth is more people should take that seriously. If Marciano was walking about with 50 cals the Wilder must have an anti-tank rifle for a right and that's a got to be controlled and handled with care.

Alright kids, see youse next time.

Comment

Someone knows what they are talking about. Bravo.

The only issue I have with Marciano’s scientifically tested punching power is we have no other reference. Ideally they would have tested an ordinary male of similar size as well as another hwt from that time. Say Charles or Walcott. Then we would have comparable data.

Comment

Working...
      X