Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists say we're heading into a mass extinction event caused by humans

Signs are pointing to an upcoming mass extinction event, scientists say

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geek...203844364.html

We’ve all heard of the natural doomsday events caused by volcanoes and giant asteroids that wiped out most of the world's flora and fauna millions of years ago. Now scientists are warning we may be poised for the next great wave of extinctions, but this time humans may trigger the apocalypse.
    In a series of sobering studies published in the Science journal this week, scientists are cautioning that we may be at a tipping point in terms of a potential catastrophic loss of the world’s biodiversity.

They are pointing to the decline of some 320 vertebrates that live on land in just the last 500 years. Populations of many major large-sized species, like elephants and polar bears, are at the greatest risks currently, with their numbers nose-diving by 25 per cent. In fact around 16 to 33 per cent of all vertebrate species are considered threatened or endangered.

The situation for invertebrates, like insects and worms, is even more worrisome: in just the last four decades we've seen a decline of about 45 per cent in their global abundance. These tiny creatures, while not as glamorous, are the backbone of entire ecosystems, say researchers, and their loss can signal the eventual breakdown of the entire system.

Making matters worse, increasing human populations lead to habitat loss. Animals will soon be running out of places to hide from the growing numbers of hunters and poachers.

One of the studies focused on the cascading effects of the removal of the larger species from ecosystems. Predation rates are found to drop while disease-carrying vermin numbers increase.

I blame all the fookin meat eaters! This is why I'm a vegetarian on most days,

I only eat meat and poultry 3x a week...

Dandelion curry anyone? haha

Comment

That's what happens when you are the apex predator on the planet. Once all the lower level species are gone, then we will lose most of our population from disease and famine.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        That's what happens when you are the apex predator on the planet. Once all the lower level species are gone, then we will lose most of our population from disease and famine.
        Humans are separate from animals. We have the ability to create and sustain balance. We can harness renewable energy from the wind, water and the sun and cultivate more food than can be needed if we control our population and environmental impact.

When Fossil Fuels deplete we will be forced to evolve to survive. Nuclear energy is not the answer. Nuclear energy is a temporary answer for a permanent doom.

The sun itself is a source of nearly endless energy. If we ever develop the technology to harness its energy, humanity will be able to spread among the stars. With limitless energy we can do anything. And there are endless stars out there some of them millions of times larger than our sun. Endless sources of endless energy.
        Last edited by DARKSEID; 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Badzi87 View Post
          I blame all the fookin meat eaters! This is why I'm a vegetarian on most days,

I only eat meat and poultry 3x a week...

Dandelion curry anyone? haha
          Lol it's not because of meat eaters. We breed enough chicken, cows, and pigs to last millions of years. Probably trees are in more danger.

Comment

I have been saying it for years, mankind is over populated... We need to shed numbers greatly..

Things we need to do
            Birth control and lower birth rates, more planned births, less accidental, especially with young people

Kill a lot of criminals

That's a good start in reducing population

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              I have been saying it for years, mankind is over populated... We need to shed numbers greatly..

Things we need to do
              Birth control and lower birth rates, more planned births, less accidental, especially with young people

Kill a lot of criminals

That's a good start in reducing population
              Presumably you believe having murder on your agenda makes you better than a thief?

Comment

Originally posted by Kulilin View Post
                Presumably you believe having murder on your agenda makes you better than a thief?
                That's not murder, that's justice,,,

People that commit heinous crimes deserve to die

Quit being such a soft ass

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  That's not murder, that's justice,,,

People that commit heinous crimes deserve to die

Quit being such a soft ass
                  Not being soft at all. I just feel psychopathic individuals who view killing other humans as the solution to a problem pose more of a threat to society than 100 habitual shoplifters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kulilin View Post
                    Not being soft at all. I just feel psychopathic individuals who view killing other humans as the solution to a problem pose more of a threat to society than 100 habitual shoplifters.
                    I'm not talking about killing shoplifters..

Your a typical bleeding heart,, rip apart someone's plan but have none of your own..

What do you propose we do for human overpopulation?

Comment

Working...
                    X