No announcement yet.

Pure Boxers Generally the Most Skilled Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Yes, but you have guys like Roy who throw a wrench in that with incredible athleticism. Golovkin with power. Ward with intelligence. Calzaghe with relentless output.
    Skills, talent and fundamentals doesn't always translate to winning. A Good educated pressure fighter with good basics could shut all those things down.

I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      yes or no?
      No...Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Now I say this as a huge fan of Floyd, Rigo, Lara. But constant engaging takes more talent as there is more input to deal with up close and more variables(which is one of the main reasons to fight like this). If your main talent is staying away you may be very prolific at is but that's still your only talent.

Isn't that why Whitaker is so impressive? His ability to just stand there and make them miss?

I hear people call Amir Khan talented all the time....because he has speed...One talented attribute, yet no timing, reflexes, no ability to ride with punches or any functioning boxing brain to boot. Canelo on the other hand to me,is a boxing genius. His countering is actually a joy to watch and his skills inform his speed and not the other way around. Not saying he is unbeatable as I've scored a few fights against him at this stage but is is solely the "boxing" part that he is good at.

There is a reason why when great MW's from the past, just a few years sat around and talked to each other about fighting, the moment the question of most talented came up it was James Toney who was mentioned immediately.

Toney, Duran and Whitaker are the three that come to mind for me....Leonard is right there too. Chaves Sr is also very underrated these days, he was as slick as they come.

I'd say they have chosen the smarter way to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
        Skills, talent and fundamentals doesn't always translate to winning. A Good educated pressure fighter with good basics could shut all those things down.

I agree with you.
        Ponomarev demonstrated this brilliantly against Mikael Zewski

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Yes, but you have guys like Roy who throw a wrench in that with incredible athleticism. Golovkin with power. Ward with intelligence. Calzaghe with relentless output.
          what style is Roy?

Comment

Skill does not equal style. Skill is one's ability to impose their talents and game-plan to victory. One can be a highly skilled brawler, puncher, or boxer.

As far as styles, generally speaking styles have their hierarchy for counters.

Boxer > Puncher > Swarmer > Boxer

Not to say one can overcome style with enough skill but at the top level, that is much harder to do.

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
              Skill does not equal style. Skill is one's ability to impose their talents and game-plan to victory. One can be a highly skilled brawler, puncher, or boxer.

As far as styles, generally speaking styles have their hierarchy for counters.

Boxer > Puncher > Swarmer > Boxer

Not to say one can overcome style with enough skill but at the top level, that is much harder to do.
              Boxers shuts the offense of Brawlers down by moving. Swarmer shuts the foot work and movement of the boxers by cutting off the ring and smothering. And Brawlers destroys Swarmers catching the swarmer with big shots and volume of punches when Swarmers are trying to close in the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                I know what you are saying. They have more set of tools against a General fighter. But sometimes that doesn't translate to winning.
                I'm not saying it always gets the W. I'm saying it works more often than it doesn't which is what the TS is asking.

Try doing all that bobbign and weaving, footwork all the jazz against a Fighter like GGG. All he needs to do is to cut off the ring on you, and counters you with his left hook and all that fundamentals disappears.

Or an inside fighter, cuts off the ring on you and fights on the inside. Are you still be able to do the slick things on the insde?
                LOL no clue what GGG gots to do with this. Any specific mfer doesn't matter. More often than not GGG isn't the guy we are talking about vs a boxer. We're talking about overall &/or in general.

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
                  The fighter who wins...wins..styles make fights
                  Thats a genius statement if I ever saw one.

Comment

yes or no?
                    Stop looking for trends.

Fighters are a culmination of styles, education in the game, experience, athletic ability, work ethic, and individual intelligence.

There is no "X style is better", or "X kind of fighter has more success", etc. Stop looking for a formula.

Comment

what style is Roy?
                      Because his style is unique and not of any traditional school, it has no name as a style. I would define him as unorthadox, highly reliant on athleticism, but it goes much deeper than that.

Comment

Working...
                      X