No announcement yet.

33+ year old fighters in the lower weight classes and Loma's time left

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33+ year old fighters in the lower weight classes and Loma's time left

Since Lomachenko will be 32 next month and he's a smaller fighter doesn't that mean the end of the line is near?

We know the smaller the fighter the shorter their shelf life. Can you think of lower weight guys who were still humming along resembling their prime past the age of 33?

The most notable one I can think is Marquez who was 34 when he fought Pac the 2nd time, but you could see that he even he was no longer as precise or quick on the draw as he was in the first bout.

Donaire just went toe to toe with Inoue at 36. Which was incredible. But you have to think a prime Donaire takes him into deep waters and drowns him.

Any other examples? Or does the future not look so good for Loma?

Tank already said he's waiting for Loma to turn 40, so that fight won't be happening. At least not while Loma is prime.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Tank already said he's waiting for Loma to turn 40, so that fight won't be happening. At least not while Loma is prime.
      No excuses for Tank or anyone else, but young fighters aren't always experienced enough to fight the older fighters still active in their divisions. It's sometimes unfortunate, but fights like an old Joe Louis fighting prime Marciano are better not happening. It doesn't prove anything if one fighter is too old nor too young/inexperienced.

It would make no sense for John Havlicek to try to guard and contain Lebron James .... generationally, that's just not a game. Boxing is similar sometimes. Many older fighters go on too long, and many young fighters bite off more than they are ready to chew (Ray Leonard/Duran 1). Tank may not be ready for Loma before Loma needs to exit (no mtter all of that "great" talk). Good management brings fighters to fights when they are mature/experienced enough, and also stops fights when a guy is too old to properly compete.

Is Tank mature enough for Loma? Maybe, I don't know and it's not my call (or yours). Maybe the age difference will prove too much, maybe it won't. We'll see.

I'm sure you promoter-fans/promoter-haters don't care about minor details like "should a fight happen", lol. But for those of us who do, we want fights when both guys can both best represent.
      Last edited by MastaBlasta; 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

no doubt, same goes for Crawford. I don't think that fact is lost on them either. Both are probably just at the tail end of their respective primes.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaBlasta View Post
          No excuses for Tank or anyone else, but young fighters aren't always experienced enough to fight the older fighters still active in their divisions. It's sometimes unfortunate, but fights like an old Joe Louis fighting prime Marciano are better not happening. It doesn't prove anything if one fighter is too old nor too young/inexperienced.

It would make no sense for John Havlicek to try to guard and contain Lebron James .... generationally, that's just not a game. Boxing is similar sometimes. Many older fighters go on too long, and many young fighters bite off more than they are ready to chew (Ray Leonard/Duran 1). Tank may not be ready for Loma before Loma needs to exit (no mtter all of that "great" talk). Good management brings fighters to fights when they are mature/experienced enough, and also stops fights when a guy is too old to properly compete.

Is Tank mature enough for Loma? Maybe, I don't know and it's not my call (or yours). Maybe the age difference will prove too much, maybe it won't. We'll see.

I'm sure you promoter-fans/promoter-haters don't care about minor details like "should a fight happen", lol. But for those of us who do, we want fights when both guys can both best represent.
          I appreciate your thoughtful response. The age argument doesn’t work for me regarding Tank. He is a champion in two weight classes now, he had 225 amateur fights, and he is now 25 years old. Now is the time to make this fight. Tank is in his prime years now, no more excuses. Younger fighters than him have taken on bigger challenges and succeeded.

If he doesn't fight Loma this year or next he loses any degree of credibility he may have as far as I’m concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by DHUL QARNAYN View Post
            Since Lomachenko will be 32 next month and he's a smaller fighter doesn't that mean the end of the line is near?

We know the smaller the fighter the shorter their shelf life. Can you think of lower weight guys who were still humming along resembling their prime past the age of 33?

The most notable one I can think is Marquez who was 34 when he fought Pac the 2nd time, but you could see that he even he was no longer as precise or quick on the draw as he was in the first bout.

Donaire just went toe to toe with Inoue at 36. Which was incredible. But you have to think a prime Donaire takes him into deep waters and drowns him.

Any other examples? Or does the future not look so good for Loma?
            Floyd schooled Canelo at the ripe age of 36. Whitewash, shutout..

Comment

Every boxer is different as to how long they can stay near their best and they all start to slip when they hit 30 years old including heavyweights. Loma is already past prime but he is so good it is hard to tell it. He is really too small for 135. Age, fighting above his best weight and a very good young lightweight will probably beat him soon if he does not return to 130.

Comment

People's prime years can be different from others. Despite being 32, Loma could still be in his prime as long as he doesn't take too much damage.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  If he doesn't fight Loma this year or next he loses any degree of credibility he may have as far as I’m concerned.
                  What if Loma never fights Haney?

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                    What if Loma never fights Haney?
                    I heard the same question about Walters, Rigo and Linares. I have more respect for Haney who at 21 wants to fight Loma, versus Tank the cherry picker.

Comment

Working...
                    X