Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone feel like boxing was a lot better 5 years ago?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone feel like boxing was a lot better 5 years ago?

Here's some names of guys who retired in the last 5 years or are no longer really relevant anymore

Floyd, Pac, Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Martinez, Klitschkos, Froch, Ward, Kessler, Maidana, Paul Wiliams, Hatton, Haye, I could go on

It just seems like to me a lot of star power all went out around the same time and the replacements (outside of Alvarez and Joshua) haven't filled that void too well

Someone will be saying the same thing five years from now.

Seasons change, mad things rearrange.

Comment

Originally posted by earl-hickey View Post
      Here's some names of guys who retired in the last 5 years or are no longer really relevant anymore

Floyd, Pac, Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Martinez, Klitschkos, Froch, Ward, Kessler, Maidana, Paul Wiliams, Hatton, Haye, I could go on

It just seems like to me a lot of star power all went out around the same time and the replacements (outside of Alvarez and Joshua) haven't filled that void too well
      Does 'star power' really matter? You've probably just got a bit jaded, man. Just go back to enjoying the boxing and let the 'star power' sort itself out. There's good fights on across the globe if you take the time to look for them and they don't have to be between A listers to make compelling viewing.

Hell - Saucedo vs Hooker this weekend promises to be a good 'un in my book. And why not get your ass on the Pick 'em thread, or fantasy betting if you want to add a little spice?
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-14-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Wilder
        AJ
        Canelo
        GGG
        Crawford
        Spence
        Khan
        Thurman
        Fury
        Broner
        Pacquiao
        Loma

Etc

Enough to keep me intrigued for the time being.

Comment

Not really.

New stars always emerge.

Comment

Hmm, well, that's interesting.

Joshua is about capped out in the UK isn't he? I mean it is sellout fights he's fighting right? So even if he was very popular in the US, Mexico, Japan, Russia, etc and had fans coming over to the UK to watch him he'd still be in the same boat wouldn't he?

I don't know that it is fair to say Josh has failed to claim the mantle if Josh fights out of the UK exclusively. It seems like what you are saying is to be the face of boxing you have to be in America. Because Josh is the face of boxing at his home already and if that is the cap for his home and the cap is not good enough to be considered the face of boxing then are you not saying the UK is not good enough to be the home of boxing?

I can't agree with that. Let's say Joshua clears the division, let's say he doesn't just whoop Wilder but both Wilder and Fury and any other name currently toted. Let's say he eclipses both Wlad and Louis's defenses. **** it, let's stack Marciano's 49-0 on this and Dempsey's HOF win count. Now Joshua is 49-0, has whooped everyone under the sun, and exceeded multiple ATG records while being the undisputed HW champ. He still fights exclusively in the UK in sold out shows that equate to the same revenue as now. Is he not the face of boxing? Seems like he ought to be. Seems like if Joshua is ok with not being an American boxer we as fans should just accept his lack of interest in the bigger market and praise him anyway.

Comment

5 years ago Williams was already paralyzed. Mosley was done. Maisana was never a star.

Comment

2013 was a strong year but in general the MayPac era (2010-2015) was frustrating. Things feel pretty fresh and exciting right now to me

Comment

I feel like there are less individual boxers that seem less popular as of now because the guard is still changing from the Mayweather-Pacquiao era. Once more boxers establish themselves as guys who look like they'll last on top for a while by winning a series of fights against elites the cycle will continue. I think we're just in the middle of the transition now and as a result, only guys like Alvarez and Joshua are true mainstream stars.

Comment

2009-2011 was lit for me. 2013 most of the guys you mentioned were past their primes. And may-pac was definitely past its sell by date.

Comment

Working...
                    X