Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Andre Ward is genuinely retired...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward always seems to get the short end of the stick. Ward's wins were for the most part dominant, with the exception of the first Kovalev fight...He cleaned out the division before moving on and just think of the conversation we would be having if he fought Triple G instead:

"Ward picks on little men, why didn't he move up to face Kovalev? Probably because he knew he would get KO'ed by a real puncher."

"Ok, so he didn't fight the crusher what about Dawson?"

"Oh!! he was weight drained!"

Among the threads critisizing Ward we have one guy who says he does not KO as many guys as he should, so he is not as good as triple G... The we have the chorus of individuals who think fighters hitting to the body is wrong... Never mind how the shorts are often worn very high. And then we have the guys who think that Las Vegas, which is maybe a little bit bigger than Oakland, should get to claim Ward as the hometown kid.... So Ward is a cheat because he fights in Oakland...and on it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      Ward always seems to get the short end of the stick. Ward's wins were for the most part dominant, with the exception of the first Kovalev fight...He cleaned out the division before moving on and just think of the conversation we would be having if he fought Triple G instead:

"Ward picks on little men, why didn't he move up to face Kovalev? Probably because he knew he would get KO'ed by a real puncher."

"Ok, so he didn't fight the crusher what about Dawson?"

"Oh!! he was weight drained!"

Among the threads critisizing Ward we have one guy who says he does not KO as many guys as he should, so he is not as good as triple G... The we have the chorus of individuals who think fighters hitting to the body is wrong... Never mind how the shorts are often worn very high. And then we have the guys who think that Las Vegas, which is maybe a little bit bigger than Oakland, should get to claim Ward as the hometown kid.... So Ward is a cheat because he fights in Oakland...and on it goes.
      I'll always feel resentment towards Team Golovkin that they didn't fight Ward when he called them out at 168.

If Andre had managed to get GGG's scalp then moved up to get Kovalev's that would have been quite a feat and increased his standing among the all-time greats.
      Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-25-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        I'll always feel resentment towards Team Golovkin that they didn't fight Ward when he called them out at 168.

If Andre had managed to get GGG's scalp then moved up to get Kovalev's that would have been quite a feat and increased his stranding among the all-time greats.
        Its a good point. We would still hear the chorus though

Comment

I do not believe Andre Ward is the type of fighter to be ranked among the all time best. Historically his career, championships, opponents and fights pale in comparison to so many fighters. However, if we are to look at the short history of the super middleweight division, he would certainly be one of the very best. The division only has a handful of elite stand outs and Ward is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheThirdEye View Post
            It's weird how no one mentioned but notice from Andre Ward.
            - He'll have to ask Al to come out and play.
            - Why now, I'm not even thinking about this guy right now.
            - I just got up in weight and I fought the number 1 guy.
            - No disrespect to him, but he's a step back, I'm not trying to go back.
            - Between me and him, it has to make sense.
            - He had opportunities, he disqualified himself.
            - I wanted to fight at heavyweights, it's a dream of mine.
            - There's open negotiations with Bellew team.
            - His team didn't try to reach us.
            - How come I fought Kov twice before he does it once.
            + Eddie Hearn: Ward was negotiating a fight against LHW Frank Buglioni, but Buglioni rejected the offer.
            - I'm retiring, my body can't take it anymore.
            - I did what I say I would do, mission accomplish.
            + Virgil Hunter: There was no money to do against this guy, because he only fights in Canada.

Ward clan never mentioned anything related with Lineal title, WBC, or Undisputed. They carefully did everything to avoid the 40 years old boxer. They pile up excuses over excuses trying hard to make fans forget about the Undisputed title.
            The truth is, Andre Ward ducked Adonis Stevenson by retiring, instead of trying to become Undisputed.
            I mean, Ward may come back, only when they'll feel Stevenson's no longer a threat; when he'll be gone...
            Fans aren't questioning the reasons why Andre Ward lied that much before hanging his gloves.
            - (06/17/2017): I wanna go Cruiserweight, HW, everything is possible.
            - (08/23/2017): HBO contract expired and Ward wanted to setup a fight against LHW Frank Buglioni.
            - (09/21/2017): My body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport...

What happened between 06/17/2017 to 09/21/2017, from: "I dream big, I wanna go HW" to 3 months later: "My body can't take it anymore".
            Thus, if Frank Buglioni would've agreed to fight Andre Ward in UK, would Ward retires or would he milk his titles?
            I mean, why would you setup a fight with an unknown UK LHW, One month before retiring from the sport?
            No HBO contract on your back, 3 major belts and a maximum body weight of 183Lbs, with no descent UK LHW opponents to milk your titles in a crowded UK stadium.
            So what should've been Ward next move to make history and more money, knowing there's no HBO roadblock, and his body weight peaking around 183Lbs?
            = Become Undisputed by fighting Stevenson.

But, I guess not fighting Stevenson is better for his legacy, and there's probably more money to make by retiring; Ward fans are Pathetic...
            Last edited by TheThirdEye; 10-26-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

There's around 250 in the hall of fame and probably 20 or so due to get in the next 6-7 years. I'd say he'd rank around 200 of those guys if we are talking all-time and of the modern inductees theres around 130 he'd probably be around 150 on that list.

Comment

If Andre had managed to get GGG's scalp then moved up to get Kovalev's that would have been quite a feat and increased his standing among the all-time greats.
                How could the fight happen? Ward was in litigation and couldn't legally fight. The "call out" was a name drop to take away some of GGG's shine when he knew he couldn't fight.

Then all of a sudden he's at 175??

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  How could the fight happen? Ward was in litigation and couldn't legally fight. The "call out" was a name drop to take away some of GGG's shine when he knew he couldn't fight.

Then all of a sudden he's at 175??
                  Well, if you look back at the history...for the longest time Golovkin's camp said he would fight anyone from 154 to 168.

But then when Ward raised his hand and said he was interested suddenly it became "164 or no fight."
                  Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-26-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Well, if you look back at the history...Golovkin's camp said they would fight anyone from 154 to 168.

Then when Ward raised his hand and said he was intetested suddenly it became "164 or no fight."
                    Ward was in litigation. Moot point. He couldn't legally fight. Ward also said he can make 160 for Floyd but not 164 for GGG. There's a double standard there.

Once Ward was legally able to fight he embarked on the 175 division.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      So then Ward's legacy overall is as a top 10 all-time super middleweight with a few decent to good wins at light heavy, retiring right after winning The Ring's light heavyweight belt? So great super middle and pretty good light heavyweight?
                      IMO he didn't have enough fights at LHW to be considered at all at that weight. The usual list of top ten LHW's including guys like Ezzard Charles, Foster, Moore etc had dozens of fights at 175. Beating Kovalev and a couple other guys simply doesn't compare favorably.

Comment

Working...
                      X