Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya Explains "F*** You Tweet" To Mayweather-McGregor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
    I know this is a popular belief but he didn't make Mayweather. He already made a name for himself with the destruction of Gatti and the clip of him talking to the HBO commentators in the middle of a round. I don't think the fight break the PPV record without Mayweather. Oscar was actually smart for trying to capitalize on his success by taking that fight. If Mayweather was one and done I would agree but Mayweather went on to do bigger and better things without Oscar so I think people are being disengenuous thinking that Oscar made him.
    "Making" someone means that they become a bigger star than before, which doesn't negate then going on to do bigger and better things. Oscar made both Floyd AND Pacquiao - The two biggest stars of boxing's last decade. Both men only became huge PPV draws after they fought and beat Oscar.

Comment

Oscar made Floyd? Hmmm...
      $700 million in total PPV revenue from 19 fights, versus...$1.8 billion in total PPV revenue from 16 fights

4 PPVs that crossed the 1 million buy mark (1 of which crossed 2 million buys), versus...10 PPVs that crossed the 1 million buy mark (4 of which crossed 2 million buys)

Live gates: I won't even go into great detail, but Mayweather's last 12 fights rank in the top 35 live gates in the history of the state of Nevada.

Mayweather gave De La Hoya the biggest payday of his life. That's a fact. People should also remember that it was Mayweather who came up with the idea for 24/7. That was the innovative move that changed everything we know about training camps, fighter's lifestyle, etc. 24/7 and All-Access were the driving forces behind Mayweather's stardom and the public's obessession with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
        He's a good boxer, but an embarassing person. Which man dresses like a woman, even for fun's sake, lol. And he just can't let Mayweather go. He is obsesses with Mayweather. He is burning with anger, like a child who never forgives another chil for stealing his candy.
        Lmao!!

He's hella embarrassing! I don't give a **** if he throws darts at a Mayweather portrait while dressed in fishnets in his own home, but the moment he makes it public, he exposes himself to be a petty loser b*tch who can't move on.

Comment

Originally posted by LockardTheGOAT View Post
          "Making" someone means that they become a bigger star than before, which doesn't negate then going on to do bigger and better things. Oscar made both Floyd AND Pacquiao - The two biggest stars of boxing's last decade. Both men only became huge PPV draws after they fought and beat Oscar.
          That's just absurd thinking. Mayweather and Pacquiao became bigger stars because they were two of the most compelling stars in boxing. Pacquiao was a small fighter who had a KO punch like Tyson. Mayweather was the most trash talking fighter since Ali. HBO's 24/7 format also helped boost Mayweather's popularity. I think even CNN and ESPN ran episodes of it. Not to mention the potential match between Pacquiao and Mayweather elevated both their stature even more. The fact that they became bigger stars AFTER fighting Oscar is purely a coincidence. How many of Oscars opponents became stars after they fought him? To give him credit for Pacquiao and Mayweather is 2 of the biggest lies being told about Oscar.

Comment

May had a name but yes Oscar made him the star he is today.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
              Actually he was trying to bet that the fight will end in a KO and not go past 9.5 rounds.
              For a bet that Conor would be stopped before the second half of the 9th, or just over 28 minutes of boxing; Conor had never fought for longer than 25 minutes, Conor had already shown the habit of fading down the stretch in MMA, and Floyd was clearly tailoring his plan to drown Conor after his expected quick start.

The truth has never stopped any Floyd haters from believing whatever fake news that they wanted to believe, and I doubt that that ever changes, even with Floyd finally looking old and retiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                For a bet that Conor would be stopped before the second half of the 9th, or just over 28 minutes of boxing; Conor had never fought for longer than 25 minutes, Conor had already shown the habit of fading down the stretch in MMA, and Floyd was clearly tailoring his plan to drown Conor after his expected quick start.

The truth has never stopped any Floyd haters from believing whatever fake news that they wanted to believe, and I doubt that that ever changes, even with Floyd finally looking old and retiring.
                Floyd would have had to stop Conor in the 9th round before the midpoint of the round to win the bet.

Comment

That's just absurd thinking. Mayweather and Pacquiao became bigger stars because they were two of the most compelling stars in boxing. Pacquiao was a small fighter who had a KO punch like Tyson. Mayweather was the most trash talking fighter since Ali. HBO's 24/7 format also helped boost Mayweather's popularity. I think even CNN and ESPN ran episodes of it. Not to mention the potential match between Pacquiao and Mayweather elevated both their stature even more. The fact that they became bigger stars AFTER fighting Oscar is purely a coincidence. How many of Oscars opponents became stars after they fought him? To give him credit for Pacquiao and Mayweather is 2 of the biggest lies being told about Oscar.
                  Add to that Oscar only sold a million PPVs twice in 17 PPV fights before FLoyd and Manny. He was fighting the likes of Chavez, Mosely, Hopkins, Trinidad, Whitaker, Vargas, Camacho and only cracked a million 2 times.

Comment

Originally posted by juandabomb View Post
                    only mma fans and casuals will defend the mayweather mcgregor fight. there has to be an investigation, you bet yourself to win in the 10th and byrd stops it in the 10th....suspicious

not to the floyd fans its not, smh.

Comment

I know this is a popular belief but he didn't make Mayweather. He already made a name for himself with the destruction of Gatti and the clip of him talking to the HBO commentators in the middle of a round. I don't think the fight break the PPV record without Mayweather. Oscar was actually smart for trying to capitalize on his success by taking that fight. If Mayweather was one and done I would agree but Mayweather went on to do bigger and better things without Oscar so I think people are being disengenuous thinking that Oscar made him.
                      It's the truth belief. Look at how many boxers got more popular after the beat DLH. Tito, Mosley, Hopkins, and even Pacquiao. I love how you dudes love to bring up Gatti like it was some WOW accomplishment. DLH destroyed him before Mayweather and it wasn't one of his biggest wins. Mayweather rode the big wave after the Oscar fight, he knew what he was doing. Without that wave, Mayweather wouldn't have been where he is at now. I have no doubt in my mind.

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                      I don't get this Oscar made Mayweather crap. There were other fighters that Oscar fought and lost to and they didn't amount to anything more than they already were. Floyd was on his way to becoming a star as soon as he left Arum. Oscar was popular in his time but he only had 2 PPVs do over a million before Floyd. Keep in mind he had 17 PPVs before Floyd. In 19 PPV fights, Oscar did over a million oonly 4 times, and 2 of those times it was against Floyd and Manny.
                      It's not crap at all. Actually they did amount to more than they were. They had that Oscar victory. The PPV game has changed from the time Tyson fought to when Oscar and now Floyd. If you have been a fan for longer than 5 years, you could easily tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X