No announcement yet.

Per ESPN Canelo vs Jacobs generated more then 48M in subscriptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
    I don't think you read all of my posts lol.

Accounting all of the $100 plans for that month obviously will lead to problems in the following months since they can't use any of that to account for their expenses. Obviously they won't have to pay Canelo most of those months, but they will have at least 1 more fight they have to pay him in that span, maybe 2, depending on when people bought.

And they must have a ton of other usual monthly expenses - I would love to look at their numbers and see what all they have going on. It was some slick accounting by DAZN but they seem happy with the numbers so that's great. I don't really expect you to understand accounting though but it's cute that you try to act smart here BJ.
    We don't know how they contributed the $100 monthly plans to determining their revenue.

Did they incorporate the $100 entirely and contribute it to May's monthly revenue?

Did they incorporate $8.33 per NEW $100 subscription for their May revenue? ($8.33 is the monthly price for a $100/year plan)

But yeah I apologize. I realized later in the thread you were actually logically approaching DAZN and their finances. Sorry I'm a dick and dipshit

Comment

• Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
      We don't know how they contributed the $100 monthly plans to determining their revenue.

Did they incorporate the $100 entirely and contribute it to May's monthly revenue?

Did they incorporate $8.33 per NEW $100 subscription for their May revenue? ($8.33 is the monthly price for a $100/year plan)

But yeah I apologize. I realized later in the thread you were actually logically approaching DAZN and their finances. Sorry I'm a dick and dipshit
      They clearly meant that they covered the event from a cash flow point of view applying the $100 yearly subscriptions. They'd need a lot more than 1.2 million global viewers if they were speaking from an accrual accounting point of view.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
        They clearly meant that they covered the event from a cash flow point of view applying the $100 yearly subscriptions. They'd need a lot more than 1.2 million global viewers if they were speaking from an accrual accounting point of view.
        We can't say for sure either way although it would seem that some of those $100 annual subscriptions were included.

Article states they've earned at least $48 million in revenue and had a global viewership of 1.2M

48/1.2 = 40

Every person did NOT pay $40 to watch the fight.

Some paid $20, some $8.33 (annual plan), some $9.99 (like myself) from pre-existing monthly plans.

We also DON'T KNOW how many people are subsrcibed and DIDN'T watch. Honest to God - I missed Mayweather-Pacquiao live. I had food poisoning. Was crazy sick on the toilet...watching fight on an illegal stream and toggling between ESPN and BScene scorecards...did all of that from a shitty toilet...ended up not mattering from how uneventful the fight was, but man I was not a happy camper that night.

So we really can't say any which way for certain, but the good news DAZN is going to get bigger and bigger.

AJ has his first fight in the States. It was going to be a more entertaining affair, but it's still going to be a good first taste.

Hopefully AJ can secure Fury as that's the real HW fight anwyays.

We'll see!

Comment

• Originally posted by rolshans View Post
          Man, it's kinda crazy to think about where they started and how far they've gotten in usuch little time.
          Thanks to their cash cow Canelo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            $6 bil in commitments over the next 5 years and a high of $277 million in revenue in 2018
            My thoughts are they probably have about $100 million per month average of expenses...but it could be half of that...will be interesting to see how it all works out...hope it does for them, it's a good deal for fans

Comment

• Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post

No worries - but that was kind of my point - I don't think there is possibly a way to get to the $50+ million number without attributing the entire $100 annual fee to that month. You make a good point that some of those fees may have gone to a later (or previous) month though.

So even though almost all of those $100 purchases are for the Canelo fight, they may be expensed in another month (depending on when DAZN starts their monthly accounting). But to get to the $50+ million number, I think most of those $100 purchases have to be included. Otherwise the numbers just aren't there - unless they have some hidden revenue streams coming in, from ads, etc.

I don't think they would have come out like this with the numbers though unless they were pleased. And they seem genuinely pleased. Interesting times for boxing fans. I hope DAZN can find a way to make it work while still keeping it to around $10 a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
                My thoughts are they probably have about $100 million per month average of expenses...but it could be half of that...will be interesting to see how it all works out...hope it does for them, it's a good deal for fans
                Ehh, I keep hearing that narrative that it's a good deal for fans but is it really when ESPN plus has not only more boxing content but better and it's only $4.99 a month. $20 a Canelo fight or $8 for 2 Canelo fights if you buy the yearly subscription, is a good deal for fans. But outside of that I don't see this great deal.

Comment

• Basically it’s going to kill off ppv and if it’s cheaper for us go see these fights then it’s chicken dinner everybody’s a winner

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    Ehh, I keep hearing that narrative that it's a good deal for fans but is it really when ESPN plus has not only more boxing content but better and it's only $4.99 a month. $20 a Canelo fight or $8 for 2 Canelo fights if you buy the yearly subscription, is a good deal for fans. But outside of that I don't see this great deal.
                    Good points about ESPN+ having more content and being cheaper - but remember when they have a big fight they still put that on PPV. So you are paying that $60 yearly and still not getting the best few fights for that price. I remember thinking at the last minute I would tune in for Crawford-Khan on ESPN+ and I couldn't believe it was actually on PPV.

So far it is all included with DAZN. I also think DAZN's roster is a little better than ESPN's but it's close - I like GGG and a few others on there that I am glad I can watch those fights without paying another $300 a year for the PPVs they would be in.

What I really like about DAZN's model is not having to pop $60-$100 for a PPV that may not even be that good. Just with the roster they have now I will enjoy watching the 2 Canelo fights, 2 GGG fights, 2 Andrade fights, Jacobs, Joshua etc.

It's not perfect but I think the non-PPV model is moving in the right direction, if it is sustainable for the DAZNs of the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                      Basically it’s going to kill off ppv and if it’s cheaper for us go see these fights then it’s chicken dinner everybody’s a winner
                      Yep my thoughts exactly

Comment

Working...
                      X