Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy bag + hand pain: Is it me or the gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy bag + hand pain: Is it me or the gloves?

So the gym here at school put in a heavy bag a few months ago, been hitting it on-and-off ever since. Initially it was just bare fist or with some lightly padded MMA-style gloves, but a few weeks ago I decided I should probably invest in a decent set of gloves and picked up a set of 12oz Fairtex BGV-1's (I'm a pretty lightweight dude). Strangely, it wasn't until after I started using "proper" gloves that I started having hand pain... It localizes to the axial base of the fifth metacarpal (the inside edge of the little finger bone along the back of the hand, just above where it articulates with the wrist - not the knuckle) and occurs in both hands. What's odd is it flares up ONLY when punching the bag with the gloves on - I can hit it just as hard/fast with only wraps, and my hands feel fine. I've been consciously trying to hit with my first two knuckles as everyone suggests, but it almost seems like the pain is worse the further I move the POI away from the little finger. Also, hooks (vertical fist) do not cause any discomfort - just straights.

Any thoughts on what the issue here might be? I'm "self taught" at this point but have spent quite a bit of time on YouTube, forums, etc trying to make sure I'm getting the form right - striking with the first two knuckles, straight wrist, squeezing fist on impact, snapping punches instead of pushing, etc. I've tried my wraps anywhere from fairly loose to almost cutting off circulation, all to no avail. The only thing I can think of is maybe the gloves are somehow altering the conformation of my fist, leaving the outside edge loose and somehow prone to getting "rolled under" on impact? Kinda at a loss here - I'm enjoying learning the sport, but I'm also an aspiring small-animal surgeon so I really can't afford to **** up my hands...

Originally posted by Superleggera View Post
    So the gym here at school put in a heavy bag a few months ago, been hitting it on-and-off ever since. Initially it was just bare fist or with some lightly padded MMA-style gloves, but a few weeks ago I decided I should probably invest in a decent set of gloves and picked up a set of 12oz Fairtex BGV-1's (I'm a pretty lightweight dude). Strangely, it wasn't until after I started using "proper" gloves that I started having hand pain... It localizes to the axial base of the fifth metacarpal (the inside edge of the little finger bone along the back of the hand, just above where it articulates with the wrist - not the knuckle) and occurs in both hands. What's odd is it flares up ONLY when punching the bag with the gloves on - I can hit it just as hard/fast with only wraps, and my hands feel fine. I've been consciously trying to hit with my first two knuckles as everyone suggests, but it almost seems like the pain is worse the further I move the POI away from the little finger. Also, hooks (vertical fist) do not cause any discomfort - just straights.

Any thoughts on what the issue here might be? I'm "self taught" at this point but have spent quite a bit of time on YouTube, forums, etc trying to make sure I'm getting the form right - striking with the first two knuckles, straight wrist, squeezing fist on impact, snapping punches instead of pushing, etc. I've tried my wraps anywhere from fairly loose to almost cutting off circulation, all to no avail. The only thing I can think of is maybe the gloves are somehow altering the conformation of my fist, leaving the outside edge loose and somehow prone to getting "rolled under" on impact? Kinda at a loss here - I'm enjoying learning the sport, but I'm also an aspiring small-animal surgeon so I really can't afford to **** up my hands...
    i think you suffer from floydbrittlehanditis

Comment

Stop hitting the bag with two knuckles. It is causing you to bend your wrist in such a way That the impact is putting strain on the wrist. Hit the bag flush with the flat portion of your glove along all the knuckles.

Comment

I stop reading when you said self taugh . Boxing is not a self taught sport. I think you need to hook up with a trainer

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Stop hitting the bag with two knuckles. It is causing you to bend your wrist in such a way That the impact is putting strain on the wrist. Hit the bag flush with the flat portion of your glove along all the knuckles.
          unironically this. Also take some power off and focus on getting your form right.

Comment

Fairtex is garbage.

So let me get this straight, you're hands are hurting with more padding? If you're hitting the bag with just wraps or wraps+mma gloves and not getting pain you're either lying, confused on what happened, mistelling the wraps/mma glove story, or doing something ******edly wrong because that is the opposite effect.

My guess is it's a combination of poor hand wrapping technique (and possibly material) as well as having a bad pair of gloves. Get a 16oz pair of Winning brand. If you're studying to be a surgeon you can afford it. Winning is a lifetime purchase. With someone who values his hands, Winning is the best glove with the best padding.

Get a trainer too.

Comment

You probably don't know how to wrap your hands, probably using crappy gloves, probably have no clue how to clinch a fist or throw a punch, if the bag is new, depending what the filling is, it can be rock hard until it's beaten down a bit.

Comment

I've been using the basic method of wrapping that most sources I've come across seem to describe but would certainly appreciate some pointers on tightness. For reference, I'm using 180" semi-elastic / Mexican-style wraps. I do notice that when making a fist (even a loose one) my 5th knuckle drops below the horizontal plane created by the other three - perhaps I could be doing something different with the wrap to better hold it in alignment?

As for the gloves vs no gloves thing: Again, the only thing I can reasonably believe to be happening is they are either A) altering or otherwise preventing me from making the same fist as I do when hitting the bag without them, or B) allowing some kind of deficiency in form that I am better compensating for when not wearing them to manifest. I'd love to have a session or two with a trainer to work through this stuff, but I live in central Iowa so there's unfortunately not much opportunity for that.
                Last edited by Superleggera; 03-01-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

First off you purchased a "pair" (2) not a "set" (4) you are more than likely wrapping your hands wrong. The two knuckle contact crap comes from being "taught" by the internet I guess!
                  Find a boxer or some one with boxing experience to show how to wrap correctly. Trying to learn proper techniques for this sport is impossible on your own, you will learn how NOT to do things correctly.
                  I trained boxers for 50 years and no one learns this sport on their own!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    I trained boxers for 50 years and no one learns this sport on their own!

Ray
                    ^^^^^^^^^ This right here.

Comment

Working...
                    X