No announcement yet.

Would Jerry Quarry really have been a champion in any other era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Jerry Quarry really have been a champion in any other era

I hear that frequently, but except for a few small windows, I really don't see it. He certainly would likely be in the top 5 or 10, especially before the 1970s.

Going back to the days of Jack Johnson, he probably could have been champion, but defeating Johnson or even a better version of Willard would not be a foregone conclusion.

I think he'd have held his own, but a prime Dempsey would have defeated him. In the late 1920s when Dempsey was ready to be taken, that might have been Quarry's opportunity. But it's not a foregone conclusion that he would have gotten past Gene Tunney. Maybe, maybe not.

In the early 1930s, he would have another golden opportunity. He could have defeated Sharkey, Schmeling, Max Baer, Braddock or Primo Carnera, but on the other hand, they all would have their chances against him. Max Schmeling and a focused Max Baer would have the best chances to beat Quarry IMO.

Quarry would have had little chance while Joe Louis was reigning without mercy. I suppose that he could have got him on an off night. Louis aside, Quarry still would have had challenges against guys like Billy Conn, Lou Nova, Buddy Baer because of his sheer size and power.

In the late 40s, early 50s, I wouldn't favor him against Ezzard Charles or Jersey Joe Walcott all the way up to the first Marciano fights. Rex Lane, Jimmy Bivins, Elmer Ray perhaps Joey Maxim could have proven to be challenges. Archie Moore would have his chances.

Quarry would have given Rocky Marciano a tough go, but I don't think he'd have gotten past Marciano.

In the late 50s, you have a young Floyd Patterson. Considering the fact that Quarry barely skated past an older (and heavier and likely stronger), yet still good Floyd Patterson, I'll still say that Patterson in the late 50s beats Jerry Quarry. Not to mention guys like Folley, Machen (who did beat Quarry), Harold Johnson, Johannson, Henry Cooper.

And then there's Sonny Liston. Quarry did well vs big, slower power guys, but Liston was a power guy with very good boxing skills. I think a prime/ near his prime Liston would've prevented Quarry's ascension to the heavyweight throne.

We saw him vs Ali and Frazier.

We can kill the noise of him making it past Holmes and Tyson in the 80s. He may have been a belt holder though. And even outside of Holmes/Tyson, Quarry beating guys like Tucker, Tubbs, Douglas, Thomas, Williams,Witherspoon, Berbick or Bruno wouldn't have necessarily been a foregone conclusion. He may or may not have beaten the version of Holmes Spinks beat and he may or may not have beaten Michael Spinks, but no foregone conclusions there either.

He wouldn't have beaten Holyfield in the 90s or Riddick Bowe or Lennox Lewis. Or even still Mike Tyson (at least not until the late 90s) or even the Holmes who rumbled with Holyfield.

Ditto for the K2 brothers.

He likely wouldn't beat Anthony Joshua now and maybe not Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury. None of those guys are automatic gimmes for Quarry.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out in what era is it a foregone conclusion that Jerry Quarry has a championship reign?
    Last edited by uncle ben; 05-19-2018, 12:41 AM.

He could have been champ in the Byrd/ruiz era of the early 2000s

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      He could have been champ in the Byrd/ruiz era of the early 2000s
      No question about that. That era was the absolute ****s

Comment

in the K2 era for sure.

Comment

With so many champions the last 30 years the odds would favor Quarry to eventually find the weakest path to a paper title. Jerrys main issue was he easily cut and that would plague him in any era.

Comment

Jerry never saw a Klit he couldn't lick.

Comment

Working...
            X