Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Peter vs. Rocky Marciano.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its sad that this thread has gained any traction. Juggs bless his heart has not even weighed in on this one... I mean people? Toney as a blown up middle... Not even a cruiser really... handled Peter, and when Peter came back in the absolute best shape of his life, he barely beat Toney.

Toney is a great fighter, we all know that, even guys who don't think he is a great fighter would say he is a wonderful fighter with many gifts. But its very safe to say that he did not have the presence at heavweight that Marciano did. marciano developed a style to fight heavyweights. His punches, his distancing, his tactics... Toney developed for most of his career fighting against opponents like Nunn. Big difference! So it is relevent that he handled Peter in his prime, it shows that the weight difference can be negligable as relates to Sam Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Peter was a bum, Marciano a great champion. Peter would be gnawing canvas permanently by round 5. Marciano destroys all bums without heart and conditioning. Guys like Arreola would be meat for the Rock's metal grinder, too, and, next to them, he is a clever, well educated boxer.
      Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      People still don't understand that men like Marciano, Dempsey, LaMotta and Tyson who work low and use head and upper body movement as their primary defense are hard to hit!
      If your watching the Charles, Walcott or even old Moore fights your forgetting those guys are ATG's! You get hit when you fight ATG's. Sam Peters doesn't land on the "low target" but he gets his heart, liver and kidneys punched before the shots go up to the head.
      Marciano was a mean man and Peters wasn't. Eddie Chambers handled him easily and Chambers attacking isn't Marciano attacking!
      He struggled against a blown up Toney and Toney doesn't hit like the Rock could.
      Rock wears this guy down by the end and either stops him via tko or wins a decision.

A great fighter at his best beats an opponent level talent.

Ray
      People are making Peter out to be Ernie Shavers. He doesn't even punch that hard. No leverage, just brute strength.
      Walcott, 198 lbs., would walk right in, slip Peter's first oafish punch and drop him with a lefhook.
      My chops redden that such a thread is up for consideration. Poor Rock, now compared to a third rate bum. Something tells me Marciano hit a lot harder than Toney and could take it better, too. If Peter could not hurt Toney (whom he hit solid on a number of occasions), how is he supposed to hurt the Rock? He would be out of gas before he could get the Rock cut to pieces, wouldn'r he?
      Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      its sad that this thread has gained any traction. Juggs bless his heart has not even weighed in on this one... I mean people? Toney as a blown up middle... Not even a cruiser really... handled Peter, and when Peter came back in the absolute best shape of his life, he barely beat Toney.

Toney is a great fighter, we all know that, even guys who don't think he is a great fighter would say he is a wonderful fighter with many gifts. But its very safe to say that he did not have the presence at heavweight that Marciano did. marciano developed a style to fight heavyweights. His punches, his distancing, his tactics... Toney developed for most of his career fighting against opponents like Nunn. Big difference! So it is relevent that he handled Peter in his prime, it shows that the weight difference can be negligable as relates to Sam Peter.
      Marciano was an expert at beating up guys bigger than him. Lol, none of you youngsters have seen the photo taken at ringside of how jersey joe's face crumpled when Marciano punched him once with the right hand.
      LOL sam peter, he couldn't even beat today's alphabet "champs", how is a bum like him supposed to handle an all time great. Marciano would put peter into a coma. the guys that hurt Marciano were extremely skilled and slick boxers like ezzard Charles who kept him on the outside, peter can barely throw a jab compared to joe Louis, Charles, or walcott

also, if rocky trained and ate like today's fighters he'd be just over 200 lbs, probably between 205 and 215 a small heavyweight but with devastating punching power, against most of today's less skilled fatbodies he'd still cave their faces in

I'd actually like to see Marciano knock peter out but if we're talking about sam peter the fight I'd really like to see is Floyd Patterson give him a boxing lesson and then knock him out. I just think that would be funny

Comment

Tommy Burns would probably give Peter a good run, and Langford would surely whip him.

Comment

Working...
        X