No announcement yet.

Evander Holyfield was 208lb when he Ko'd Buster Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
    fighting a bigger man in boxing is always a risk no matter who it is, its as if you all dont want to give wilder credit for anything. of course other fighters have done it nobody ever said that its never been done. just a positive to take into consideration.
    Fair enough. I don't dislike or have no respect for Wilder. The thread was made partly tongue-in-cheek for the benefit of certain posters who only started watching boxing this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
      realistically Buster Douglas who fought Holyfield was the same level as Bermane Stiverne-in the rematch-
      Arnt you that smug prick who raved on about how wilder was going to destroy fury in three rounds. Well I bet you had to think of a lot of excuses after the fight putting your neck out like that lol

Comment

He was a good puncher but I don't think he was pound for pound the best puncher. Better punchers for their pounds in my opinion would be Marciano 184 pounds, Dempsey 185 pounds, Louis 198 pounds, Wilder 214 pounds, Foreman 214 pounds,Tyson 220 pounds, Liston 214 pounds, Langford 165 pounds, Fitzimmons 165, Jack Johnson 192 pounds. Those are some men that fought in the heavyweight division who might have hit harder for their weight than hard hitting Holyfield. If you go below heavyweight their are many more like Bob Foster, GGG, Hearns, Trinidad, SRR etc. Remember Holyfield failed to KO many of the men he fought. His KO percentage was not that high compared to many others. That's not to say that KO percentage is the last word in measuring punching power but it's something to consider. I rate Holyfield as a good puncher and all around great fighter but certainly not the best pound for pound puncher of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          I was there too and at no point in Holyfields career was he considered a "light hitter". That's a straight up lie.
          I have to agree with you. I was there too and nobody every called Holyfield a light puncher. He wasn't rated as hard a puncher as Tyson or Lewis but he was considered a good puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
            Arnt you that smug prick who raved on about how wilder was going to destroy fury in three rounds. Well I bet you had to think of a lot of excuses after the fight putting your neck out like that lol
            what excuses. the draw is the fair decision. fury is lucky he wasn't waived off though.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              That's not what you said before. You said "light hitter." Holyfields power was always respectable. Nobody just walked through his punches and all of his opponents respected his punching power including Tyson who said Holyfield hit hard.

Mercer and Moorer were not above Holyfield as punchers. I don't know where you got that from.
              I have to agree with you again. Holyfield hit just as hard as Mercer and Moorer. Tyson said Holyfield hit hard. Who would know better than Tyson who fought so many hard hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I have to agree with you. I was there too and nobody every called Holyfield a light puncher. He wasn't rated as hard a puncher as Tyson or Lewis but he was considered a good puncher.
                Holyfield wasn't a light puncher ever. He wasn't a heavyweight KO artist but he had solid power and good hand speed. Not a one punch artist but a guy who could certainly wobble you with a good shot.

His power was the main reason he was able to move up from crusierweight. He was KOing guys like Dwight Muhammad Qawi - good fighters with solid chins. If he didn't have that power at cruiserweight he'd never been able to make the jump. He certainly wasn't a KO artist at heavy but then again his level of competition was amazingly high even as he jumped into the division.

Comment

Originally posted by jglvz256 View Post
                  Yes he was, at the time. I was there.
                  Its true, I was there too..

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                    Holyfield wasn't a light puncher ever. He wasn't a heavyweight KO artist but he had solid power and good hand speed. Not a one punch artist but a guy who could certainly wobble you with a good shot..
                    YDKSAB....

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                      Holyfield wasn't a light puncher ever. He wasn't a heavyweight KO artist but he had solid power and good hand speed. Not a one punch artist but a guy who could certainly wobble you with a good shot.

His power was the main reason he was able to move up from crusierweight. He was KOing guys like Dwight Muhammad Qawi - good fighters with solid chins. If he didn't have that power at cruiserweight he'd never been able to make the jump. He certainly wasn't a KO artist at heavy but then again his level of competition was amazingly high even as he jumped into the division.
                      Holyfield was a high pressure fighter. He had okay power, but compared to the other big heavyweights, not really. Let's not forget he was also roided to the gills. Sparring partners gave stories that basically slated Wladimir and Foreman as probably the two hardest punchers. In Holyfield's regard, they said he was very active and gave them hell as soon as he stepped in the ring with them.

Also: Qawi was a cruiserweight, and he gave Holyfield hell in their first fight to a very close decision (15 rounds of hell). Not to mention, Qawi was already 33 at that time...

Comment

Working...
                      X