Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im on a big Neil Young kick right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
      Being influenced by a person of another race doesn't make you a racist.
      Wynton Marsalis released an album of classical (totally white composers) music. He copied white composers to the note. Did that make him a racist? You tell me.

You may be shocked to hear this but the Brit musicians revered the old black musicians and considered the music "American " and not "black". I heard BB King tell the story of playing at the Fillmore East in the late 1960's/early 1970's. He was amazed that the audience what nearly all white kids. It revived his career and the careers of many others like Muddy Waters...black kids looked upon the blues as their parents music and rejected it. The Brits brought blues and the old guys back to life.

I was there...trust me in this.

Taking a Little Richard song and having Pat Boone sing it so that white audiences didn't see Little Richards black face...THAT was racist.

Listen to BB King talk about Elvis if you don't believe me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aznpMRCvK6sKing
      the bold part is the example i should have thought of. i don't think they were all racist, but they were taking advantage of racism because the black musicians couldn't do as much with their own songs and the white kids could do - they wouldn't be allowed to play in all those places, etc. i love british blues, though, i'm just saying they benefitted a little from the racism of that time

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
        Im on a big Neil Young kick right now
        hopefully he will write a song about bengal cats

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
          hopefully he will write a song about bengal cats
          I dont like his new stuff.

Comment

Oh man you'd be hard pressed to find a better band than CCR. So many great songs.

U2 actually does a pretty good Fortunate Son cover.

Last edited by Santa_; 11-29-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
              the bold part is the example i should have thought of. i don't think they were all racist, but they were taking advantage of racism because the black musicians couldn't do as much with their own songs and the white kids could do - they wouldn't be allowed to play in all those places, etc. i love british blues, though, i'm just saying they benefitted a little from the racism of that time
              Yeah we're on the same page. Another thing...guys like Chuck Berry and Little Richard got little to no residuals from other (mainly white) singers using their music. Either they had signed contracts that gave those rights away or the just got ripped off.

The black musicians that I played with mid 60's really considered blues to be slave music. Jazz was revered as the best music. Next was soul music.
              But stuff like The Doors, The Turtles....they hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                Yeah we're on the same page. Another thing...guys like Chuck Berry and Little Richard got little to no residuals from other (mainly white) singers using their music. Either they had signed contracts that gave those rights away or the just got ripped off.

The black musicians that I played with mid 60's really considered blues to be slave music. Jazz was revered as the best music. Next was soul music.
                But stuff like The Doors, The Turtles....they hated it.
                chuck berry and little richard basically invented rock n roll, and the records companies ripped them off. bo diddley too, they didn't get much for their recordings, while elvis got rich within a few years

i love jazz, my grandfather played sax in swing bands for a living in the 30's and 40's. but i'm a blues guy , i love 60's fleetwood mac, peter green's fleetwood mac. ***** man, i could listen to rattlesnake shake or black magic woman all day

Comment

CCR really is crap..

Comment

Awesome band.

Comment

Working...
                    X