No announcement yet.

Is Salvador Sanchez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is .
    I'm not too sure he would have won the rematch against Azumah.
    He was great , not taking that away.
    Great chin and stamina.
    But, Azumah gave him hell on two weeks' notice and a long flight to the US.
    I never saw him get rocked and hit like Azumah did .
    He had to fight for his life against Juan Escobar in LA. He was knocked down and got a gift draw to many eyes.
    Ruben Castillo gave him hell. Many thought Ruben won .

A lot of people pick him over Alexis had they fought at 130.
    A lot of people argue he was better than JCC.
    Sorry, JCC is the best Mexican boxer ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      I’m not sure he loses to Chavez. That’s very difficult because we didn’t see him at 130. I would venture to pick him over Nelson in another hard fight.

I agree that Chavez is the greatest Mexican fighter of all-time without doubt. Sanchez may be “better”, that’s subjective, but he’s not “greater” and that is factual. I think Olivares is #2. Marquez and Sanchez are interchangeable at 3 & 4 and Vicente Saldivar deserves a mention. His resume was incredible and he’d be about 50/50 with Sanchez IMO.
      What's your Mexican top 10 look like? If Canelo ended his career today, where would he rank (not saying he'd rank in the top 10).

Comment

Pedroza would be interesting. Both were slow starters with high IQ, Pedroza had a clear edge in speed, fast feet and was so dirty inside. If Sanchez can stop those tricks he eeks out a close one IMO.
        Pedroza would have not beat Sanchez imo.
        Eusebio had the easier defenses than Sal.
        And I'm not too sure he beat Rocky.

Sal wasn't really bothered by dirty tricks.
        Gomez was dirty as hell.
        It appeared Sal carried him to spank him for a few more rounds. Sal knew Gomez HAD NOTHING to hurt him.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
          What's your Mexican top 10 look like? If Canelo ended his career today, where would he rank (not saying he'd rank in the top 10).
          1. Chavez 2. Olivares 3. Juan Manuel Marquez 4. Sanchez 5. Saldivar 6. Barrera 7. Morales 8. Lopez 9. Canto 10. Zarate

I’d probably have Canelo around 15-20 currently. I honestly feel he should have three more losses and a failed drug test in his 20s he needs to do more for me. Arizmendi is also an excellent fighter that is overlooked historically IMO.

Comment

Pedroza would be interesting. Both were slow starters with high IQ, Pedroza had a clear edge in speed, fast feet and was so dirty inside. If Sanchez can stop those tricks he eeks out a close one IMO.
            Nice points. Yea I agree he beats Pedroza in close fight don't see him stopping him though.Nelson was pretty raw in that fight still no more then 10rds if that he had just tunes pro very late 79 I remember only because I rate him one of tops of 80 class.He was telegraphing the right and also got off balance some.Things you never seen him do later except maybe with Pea(off balance).He also was known to do better in rematch's I think id pick him over SS in rematch maybe 2-3 years later.I could see S Sanchez maybe beating a still raw Chavez but not after 86 or so.S Sanchez would be 25-7 around that time.Id rate him close to what you had maybe little lower all time because I think being able to beat all/most styles starts to play bigger roll at that point.Not his fault but because of death that was never completely proven imo.

Comment

Sal should have never answered that bootie call late at night during camp for the LaPorte rematch.
              That highway was cursed.

Comment

1. Chavez 2. Olivares 3. Juan Manuel Marquez 4. Sanchez 5. Saldivar 6. Barrera 7. Morales 8. Lopez 9. Canto 10. Zarate

I’d probably have Canelo around 15-20 currently. I honestly feel he should have three more losses and a failed drug test in his 20s he needs to do more for me. Arizmendi is also an excellent fighter that is overlooked historically IMO.
                Yea if I remember right didn't he go distance like 3-4 times with a young SRR Arizmendi?

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post

Gomez was dirty as hell.
                  It appeared Sal carried him to spank him for a few more rounds. Sal knew Gomez HAD NOTHING to hurt him.
                  I would pick Sanchez too. I think it would be mighty close. I felt Lockridge May just deserved the fight fight vs. Pedroza (but Pedroza arguably had that 10-8 round in the 14th) and Pedroza just about won the return. A common opponent was Ford who Pedroza fought immediately after. Sal barely edged him out and Pedroza gave him a beating in arguably his best display. Styles make fights though head to head often doesn’t materialize like that.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post

Gomez was dirty as hell.
                    Ever wonder how Gomez made 122 with a head that had to weigh 120?

Comment

Sanchez also had trouble with a cagey Cowdell, who a then prime Nelson blasted out in a round - though Pat was over his.

Comment

Working...
                      X