No announcement yet.

Bones Jones could transition and be the best cruiserweight in the world

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Banderivets View Post
    What does that even mean? WTF is an athlete? I mean I know what it is, but idiots have given the term some mystical powers....the most misused term in sports.

This guy was a world class athlete

So is this guy

I guess these guys could "transition" into boxing easy cause they are world class athletes right?

Now tell me, makes Jones more of an "athlete" above the other two?

you're taking two extremes, a powerlifter or what i call an explosive atlete, and a endurance runner, who is a slow twitch, long duration athlete. you couldn't be more difficult or get further in the way of productive discourse with these two red herrings if you tried

check out a decathlon. you do everything from a 100 meter sprint to a 1500 meter race. throw, jump, hurdles, discuss, that's a well rounded athlete.

most of your favorite athletes in the team sports were probably very good at other team sports in their youth. strong kids will be good at football if they're fast. fast kids will be good at football if they're strong. it's really, really basic. athletic talent is athletic talent. yeah, some people are stronger than tey are fast, and faster than theya re storng, but if you get a talented kid and train him from a young age in something other than lifting weights, or running 26.2 miles you'll develop a well rounded athlete.

kenny norton is a great example. picke dup boxing very late and did very well in the best ever era at HW. was a standout track, football, and basketball star. was "discovered" for his boxing talent in the armed forces. that's an athlete. sounds to me liek you're just being difficult to protect a nation less athletic than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      kenny norton is a great example. picke dup boxing very late and did very well in the best ever era at HW. was a standout track, football, and basketball star. was "discovered" for his boxing talent in the armed forces. that's an athlete. sounds to me liek you're just being difficult to protect a nation less athletic than mine.
      Here comes the resident NSB aflete, the one and only "New England"

Again with your yank aflete arguments which make zero sense.

What is your argument, the athletes I posted are just that, world class athletes. Prove otherwise.

What is this "jack of all trades" concept you speak of? That makes an athlete?

ath·lete (ăth′lēt′)
      n.
      1. One who participates in physical exercise or sports, especially in competitive events.
      2. One possessing the requisite strength, agility, and endurance for success in sports: a natural athlete.

Stop misusing the term, and come up with something new for whatever it is that you are trying to describe. Go to grad school and perhaps defend a thesis on the subject, you might get a new word in the dictionary and become famous.

My nation is just fine, take back all the sellouts that went to rep Kazakh, Russian, Uzbek flags and such and we'd still be a top 10 Olympic nation with ~40mil population.

And your little Norton story proves what exactly? 8/10 world class athletes out there participated in numerous sports as kids and were successful at it, but they became elite or very good at the ones that they had a passion for and worked hard on.
      Last edited by Banderivets; 08-12-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GriffTannen View Post
        lol everyone is in the UFC for a reason. They can't box. Minus holly
        Or because they prefer MMA? You know those kickboxers, wrestlers, judoka, bjj stoners etc.

Such a ******ed statement.

Comment

After Usyk leaves this thread is even more relevant

Comment

Usyk Bro would ping him all over the show and dance rings around him. Where is Tony Trick-Pony and EasternEuroFan?

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
              Usyk Bro would ping him all over the show and dance rings around him. Where is Tony Trick-Pony and EasternEuroFan?
              No doubt Usyk is elite

After he leaves cruiser though who is there?

As an athlete bones is a level above any cruiser not named usyk

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                No doubt Usyk is elite

After he leaves cruiser though who is there?

As an athlete bones is a level above any cruiser not named usyk
                Lawrence Okolie.

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
                  What Usyk sees...

he destroys!

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                    After Usyk leaves this thread is even more relevant
                    Anyone in the top 50 at Crusier knocks him out early.

That guy Jones can't box or punch for shit

Comment

Brah, if ANYONE in the UFC thought they could conquer the world of boxing, they'd fuccing do it. They get paid peanuts compared to pro boxers.

Comment

Working...
                      X