was joe calzaghe one of the best british boxers ever in your opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dantheman1983 View Post
    The Hopkins fight was close, you’re obvs a Joe hater, I get it,
    His career could have been better without warren sure, but I don’t think that takes away from his standing.
    A few random comparisons to Lacy, especially David Price, that’s hilarious, he fought Thompson when he was just breaking into Euro level and Pricey sparked Audley when Audley had already been heavily exposed and was old
    ugghh.. the point remains the same!

"supposed killers" dont remain great wins after they have been exposed as hypejobs. except in the case of Jeff lacy by calzaghe fans.

jaidon codrington was considered a future superstar when allan green starched him in like 12 seconds. yet we dont call allan green a legend based on what codrington was "supposed" to be. then allan green got that hype, before being beaten from pillar to post by edison miranda. now do we rank Miranda a legend for doing that? green was a "supposed killer" at the time as much as lacy!

then Miranda himself, now he had the hype train going strong. there were a lot of people on his wagon. even Hopkins (and i say even because he knows so much) said Miranda was the future of the MW division. yet how is Abrahams win over him considered today? is it praised like joes win over lacy? like some legend making performance? no. none of them are.

not Bailey knocking out mike jones, not grady brewer knocking out Fernando Guerrero, not Beltran knocking out mason menard, not lewis knocking out michael grant.. i could keep going but if you dont get the point by know you are beyond salvation.

it doesnt matter what you were supposed to be, it matters what you are (or were). thats the case every single time a fighter gets exposed, except for Jeff lacy. which is bull****. the guy was a hyped up bum and joe accomplished jack **** by beating him. just like all the other fighters who i mentioned above when they beat "supposed killers".

Comment

in the british pantheon, hes not one the best.

Just the question - one of the best boxers..... have you actually seen him fight? theres some poor fundamentals there! If hes one of the best, that really says British boxing is pretty mediocre.

But hes perhaps in the 2nd tier, or 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        Who were Calzaghe's career misses?

Sven Ottke? They offered him a $1 million to fight in the UK, but he wanted it in Germany for less money. Fair enough, but Calzaghe would have wiped the floor with him and everyone knows it. Ottke went life and death with people Calzaghe easily outclassed for the most part.

Prime Roy Jones? Hard fight to make, there time in the same weight division didn't really align, Jones was at 175 from 96 on.

Younger Hopkins? Again Frank Warren offered him $4 million, and he turned it down.

As soon a champion came in and started making a name for himself Joe fought him in Lacy. Kessler than unified also and Joe fought him for all the belts.

He then went up and fought the ring magazine champion at 175lbs in Hopkins.

There aren't many glaring misses in Calzaghe's career. Just a lack of competition at 168lbs, which is hard to hold against him. Froch was too late on the scene and Eubank, Benn, and Collins too early. Calzaghe has been on the record many times saying he wishes he had been born 10 years earlier so he could have fought all those guys and made a tonne of money.
        Good post.

Which is why he should have moved up to LHW much earlier than he did, especially as he had to kill himself to make SMW.

Comment

Working...
        X