Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you score Ali vs Frazier I?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted Ali to win so bad I thought he won the fight even before I seen it later on tv(it was shown live in theaters here). Ali convinced many of us he won that and the Norton fights, we wanted to believe him. But when I look back at it now, I can see Frazier pulling it out in the final round. It was close though.

Comment

If Ali simply hadn't clowned around so much, he would have won that fight. He was just giving away rounds.

Comment

ali vs frazier

Originally posted by zoneman99 View Post
        Even though Frazier officially won the fight, I had Ali winning.

If you score the fight on points, I had it 143-143 even. But, since it was by rounds back then, I had it 7-6-2 for Ali.

How did you score it?
        i had the same as you..rosco 2

Comment

I scored it for Frazier 144-141 or 8-6-1 in rounds. The fight was even after 12 then Frazier swept the last 3 rounds.

Poet

Comment

Ali-Frazier I

I scored the fight 9-6 Frazier... If it was a 10 point must system I would have given Frazier 10-8 rounds in possibly the 11th and for sure in the 15th...I hardly remember any writers at ringside scoring the fight for Ali... I remember the Daily News had at least 100 celebrities predict the outcome and Yogi Berra was the only one that picked Frazier via a 15 round decision. Everyone that picked Frazier thought he would win by KO. I was in the 5th Street Gym a few times in Miami Beach before the fight and Ali's sparring partners thought he was dicken around too much during his sparring sessions and they were right! He gave away rounds because he was not in great condition for this fight.

Comment

Funny because Angelo Dundee said that of all the fights he had, Ali trained hardest for Frazier 1, I dont doubt his condition. Its a testiment to his conditioning that he got to the final bell after the savage beating in round 11.

That said, the 'dicken' around was certainly true in sparring. I dont think Ali really feared Frazier at this point and may have been overconfident, he had made better work of Quarry and Bonavena than Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                I thought it was a clear Frazier win, he took over in the second half of the fight in my eyes but Ali still had his moments for sure.
                I agree with this. I'm very surprised this many people have Ali winning it. I didn't think it would be possible to have Ali winning that fight. There are some fights in which one guy just wins it. No matter how you look at a fight or how you score it, sometimes one fighter just beats the other.

Frazier beat Ali. No two ways about it. IMO.

Comment

the first fight was way closer than their second, thats sure.
                  i dont know why frazier still thinks he won the 2. fight.

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
                    the first fight was way closer than their second, thats sure.
                    i dont know why frazier still thinks he won the 2. fight.
                    He doesn't really.He stated in a post fight interview that it was the right decision and he doesn't have an argument to suggest that he deserved the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzmanspoper View Post
                      He doesn't really.He stated in a post fight interview that it was the right decision and he doesn't have an argument to suggest that he deserved the decision.
                      thanks, didnt know that

Comment

Working...
                      X