Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being physically fit give European heavyweights an advantage over Americans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being physically fit give European heavyweights an advantage over Americans?

So many American heavyweights like Arreola, Estrada, Toney, and Peter (lives in the US) are carrying around pot bellies.

Yet I see European heavyweights like Pianeta, Pulev, Boytsov, the Klitschkos, Pala, Kretschmann, the Roths, and Bidenko always coming to fight in reasonably good shape.

Some like Povetkin are a little plump, but that's natural for some Russian people - but you never see the really large bellies on these guys like you see on Chris Koval and Byron Polley.

Do the extra pounds put the American heavyweights at a disadvantage? I know if someone is highly skilled, they can still win despite being overweight, but they will definitely have less stamina.
    Last edited by Ben_London.; 03-07-2010, 01:38 PM.

ummm......let me see......

do i want to be built like wlad? 6'7 245 lbs. of lean muscle.

OR built like james toney with my ******* bouncing off my knee.

i'll get back to you , tunney.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      ummm......let me see......

do i want to be built like wlad? 6'7 245 lbs. of lean muscle.

OR built like james toney with my ******* bouncing off my knee.

i'll get back to you , tunney.

Sometimes I think Toney must have female hormones, to grow big breasts like that.

Comment

Simply, yes. Being in shape is better than being out of shape in any sport, apart from maybe Sumo, those dudes are huge.

Comment

I dont think it helps at all...it certainly doesnt help for the image and critics of HW boxing. Im sure teh Sam Peter Eddie Chambers fight would have been different if Peter was actually in shape - plus if Chambers was in better shape then he could have done alot better. Even tho the Klit bros have alot of critics they are mostly in far far better shape than alot of other amercian Heavies. Its a shame but if you look at it another way then the Americans must be skilled to perform as well as they do even if they arent in brilliant shape.

It would be good to see Arreola in decent shape - as he dont look good at all. But he is skilled!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Ironfist View Post

Sometimes I think Toney must have female hormones, to grow big breasts like that.
            i think somebody replaced toney's gatorade with turkey gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sroey View Post
              I'm sure the Sam Peter Eddie Chambers fight would have been different if Peter was actually in shape - plus if Chambers was in better shape then he could have done alot better. Even tho the Klit bros have alot of critics they are mostly in far far better shape than alot of other amercian Heavies. Its a shame but if you look at it another way then the Americans must be skilled to perform as well as they do even if they arent in brilliant shape.

It would be good to see Arreola in decent shape - as he dont look good at all. But he is skilled!
              Yes, Arreola has better skills than some people give him credit for. If they came inn shape at say 235, both he and Peter would be quality heavyweights.

I can see the weight slowing Peter's movements down when he fights, and he can't even throw aggressive combinations without getting tired. He was never that fast, but the heavier he gets, the slower he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                i think somebody replaced toney's gatorade with turkey gravy.

lmao...Its generally good for HW boxing for them to be fit, But it seems like most europeans HW are fit while the american/north american one looks fat.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Ironfist View Post
                  Yes, Arreola has better skills than some people give him credit for. If they came inn shape at say 235, both he and Peter would be quality heavyweights.

I can see the weight slowing Peter's movements down when he fights, and he can't even throw aggressive combinations without getting tired. He was never that fast, but the heavier he gets, the slower he is.
                  agreed.

i dont know what has gotten into peter, i am thinking maybe the american life style is catching up to him. he is living in the US correct?

you would think that if fighters make the sport their LIFE, they would turn fat into muscle. you dont see david haye putting on numerous pounds of FAT to make it to heavy weight. these guys have the money to get the proper training to do it efficiently, and it is their CAREER! i don't see what the point in all the extra fat is. plus its a bad image for america. our top heavyweights are all fat and disgusting. when you are a fat kid in america, you make look at chris arreola and think its ok to be that fat. but its not ok, for anyone, ever.

get in shape, set an example. no reason a PROFESSIONAL boxer should come in looking like a mcdonalds employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Sroey View Post
                    I dont think it helps at all...
                    eeerrrr... then you say...

Im sure teh Sam Peter Eddie Chambers fight would have been different if Peter was actually in shape
                    plus....

if Chambers was in better shape then he could have done alot better.

What are you trying to say? Yay or nay?

I think this has alot to do with the american heavies "demise" these days, it reflects the attitudes and the lifestyle and dedication of the fighters IMO, You wouldn't see none of todays H/Ws last against those of yesterday. Riddick Bowe was soft and nearly lost to Golota... yet when he was fighting fit...damn!!!

But if your Tuaman... then.... ummmm...

Comment

Working...
                    X