No announcement yet.

The Ring's FOY is actually better than BWAA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ring's FOY is actually better than BWAA

Props to the Ring for choosing Stevenson. He may not be the unanimous choice, but is certainly a better one than Floyd.

I voted for stevenson in the NSB poll. Floyd isn't a terrible choice but you coul argue rigo, stevenson, and possibly bradley and kovale had just as good or better years.

Comment

Really???

He beat Dawson, who was the true 175 champ. But that doesn't mean we should forget Dawson was coming off a one sided beat down in which he was drained and completely beat the f**k down.

He beat Cloud, who was completely schooled by Hopkins and Campillo prior to fighting Stevenson.

He beat Bellew, who's a Top 10 at 175, which isn't saying much.

And he beat Darnell Boone, a journeymen.

Floyd beat Guerrero, who was a Top 5 WW. And he beat Canelo, the RING JMW champ, and lost like 3 rounds along the way, and won RING titles in 2 different weight classes in a year.

If ANY OTHER FIGHTER had the same year, he'd be a slam dunk winner.

For me, it was either Floyd, Rigondeaux, Garcia, or Bradley.

Rigondeaux got the best win, completely schooled Donaire. But then he fought Agbeko, who hasn't been legit since he fought Mares in 2011, and had done nothing since.

Garcia got a decent win over Judah, and did beat the big bad boogeyman Lucas Matthysse. He could have won it as well.

And Bradley beat Marquez handily, coming off stopping Pacquiao. But Bradley also struggled and may have really lost to Provonikov, who's nowhere near a Top Welterweight.

Floyd was consistent this year, dominating Guerrero a Top 5 WW to win the RING title at 147 that he never really lost. And Canelo, the RING JMW champ coming off a big win over then undefeated Trout. And he only lost like 3 rounds combined.
      Last edited by 4Corners; 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        I voted for stevenson in the NSB poll. Floyd isn't a terrible choice but you coul argue rigo, stevenson, and possibly bradley and kovale had just as good or better years.
        Agree. I also chose Adonis. I put Floyd under the other names you mentioned as well as Danny Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          Really???

He beat Dawson, who was the true 175 champ. But that doesn't mean we should forget Dawson was coming off a one sided beat down in which he was drained and completely beat the f**k down.

He beat Cloud, who was completely schooled by Hopkins and Campillo prior to fighting Stevenson.

He beat Bellew, who's a Top 10 at 175, which isn't saying much.

And he beat Darnell Boone, a journeymen.

Floyd beat Guerrero, who was a Top 5 WW. And he beat Canelo, the RING JMW champ, and lost like 3 rounds along the way, and won RING titles in 2 different weight classes in a year.

If ANY OTHER FIGHTER had the same year, he'd be a slam dunk winner.
          Canelo was a solid win...but you have to come back to earth regarding Guerrero. If Floyd had another fight under his belt then he'd be a lock.

Comment

I'd take Floyd's year over Stevenson's and don't think it's particularly close. People are over-rewarding Stevenson for the Dawson win. Other than that, he didn't beat anyone of note.

Comment

The ring didn't even have Rigo as an option for their fans FOTY...

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                Agree. I also chose Adonis. I put Floyd under the other names you mentioned as well as Danny Garcia.
                Yes danny had a good year as well.

Floyd easily defeated a guy many thought he either wouldn't fight or would give him trouble to become lineal champ in 2 divisions at the same time and hada successful title defense. He arguably won 23 or 24 of 24 rounds.

If this was any other fighter this accomplishment wouldn't be minimized in certain sectors.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                  Canelo was a solid win...but you have to come back to earth regarding Guerrero. If Floyd had another fight under his belt then he'd be a lock.
                  But if we're here rating Stevenson's wins over Bellew and Cloud.....how can you not rate Floyd's win over Guerrero, who actually looked good going into the Floyd fight against two guys that had been Top 10 WW's.

Cloud hadn't won a fight since Yusaf Mack, who's not very good. He'd been compltely schooled the previous two fights going into the Stevenson fight.

And Bellew is Euro level at best, only Top 10 at 175 because there's only about 5-6 good fighters there.

Comment

Disagree. Quality over quantity.

Rigo, Bradley and Floyd are all good choices to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X