No announcement yet.

What Is Experience? . . . Really?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Experience? . . . Really?

Ok of course it plays a factor to a degree, but lets think about this for a second.

And even Floyd said in post fight presser that it was down to experience, but really what he means is, it was down to intelligence.

I don't dismiss that Canelo lacked the experience, and experience does give you intelligence, but here's where the theory gets interesting. . . .

When you look at some of the other fights Floyd's faced (forget talking primes and all that for a second) . . . Cotto, Mosely, Hatton, Corralles, Hernandez, they all had experience. . . When Floyd thought Hernandez, he was the under dog, people said "Oh he don't have the experience to beat him" . . . and that fight was stopped early, by round 6 Hernandez had no answers, and Mayweather was a fresh, fighter with not too many professional fights under his belt at the time.

So to me, experience is more of a nicer way of saying, "So and so doesn't have the intelligence" . . . and at the moment, if providing you're referring to fighters from 140 (and below) to 154 well no one has the intelligence to beat Mayweather.

Now I'm not saying this is the rule for every match up, experience plays a huge part, and what is experience? Surely it's your number of professional fights, if you look at the numbers between Mayweather and Canelo, they are both very close. . . Canelo (although young) has had almost as many fights as Floyd, albeit very different opposition but it still has to be considered.

So when people say Canelo doesn't have the experience, what they really mean is the intelligence, and well that sort of intelligence can't really be taught.

Mayweather's been in situations like last night more than a handful of times. He knows how to prepare for and handle the spotlight, he knows how to deal with every style a guy can throw at him. That's experience. Alvarez has never dealt with anything close to Mayweather, and had no idea what to do when the things that always worked for him no longer worked.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Mayweather's been in situations like last night more than a handful of times. He knows how to prepare for and handle the spotlight, he knows how to deal with every style a guy can throw at him. That's experience. Alvarez has never dealt with anything close to Mayweather, and had no idea what to do when the things that always worked for him no longer worked.
      Along with everyone else whose faced Mayweather, regardless of how experienced they are. . . get me?

Comment

experience is knowledge and intelligence is what's needed to utilise that knowledge to your advantage

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
          Ok of course it plays a factor to a degree, but lets think about this for a second.

And even Floyd said in post fight presser that it was down to experience, but really what he means is, it was down to intelligence.

I don't dismiss that Canelo lacked the experience, and experience does give you intelligence, but here's where the theory gets interesting. . . .

When you look at some of the other fights Floyd's faced (forget talking primes and all that for a second) . . . Cotto, Mosely, Hatton, Corralles, Hernandez, they all had experience. . . When Floyd thought Hernandez, he was the under dog, people said "Oh he don't have the experience to beat him" . . . and that fight was stopped early, by round 6 Hernandez had no answers, and Mayweather was a fresh, fighter with not too many professional fights under his belt at the time.

So to me, experience is more of a nicer way of saying, "So and so doesn't have the intelligence" . . . and at the moment, if providing you're referring to fighters from 140 (and below) to 154 well no one has the intelligence to beat Mayweather.

Now I'm not saying this is the rule for every match up, experience plays a huge part, and what is experience? Surely it's your number of professional fights, if you look at the numbers between Mayweather and Canelo, they are both very close. . . Canelo (although young) has had almost as many fights as Floyd, albeit very different opposition but it still has to be considered.

So when people say Canelo doesn't have the experience, what they really mean is the intelligence, and well that sort of intelligence can't really be taught.
          Yeah, you're idea of intelligence is a bit off.

If somebody injected all of the talent and skill of Floyd Mayweather into your body, and you were a really intelligent guy, you still probably would not beat Floyd Mayweather.

For example, Canelo hurt Floyd with a right hand in the 10th or so round, and Floyd completely bluffed Canelo into thinking he really wasn't hurt. Floyd even stared him down and bullied him after the bell rang. Canelo should've picked up on it, but couldn't see through the bluff.

Comment

IMO experience meaning there's only so much stuff that is possible with the use of 2 hands. He's been boxing since he's been 2 so there really isn't anything that could possibly surprise him. He knows his angles, when to step in at the right time to stuff his opponents and how to deal with every style

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
              Along with everyone else whose faced Mayweather, regardless of how experienced they are. . . get me?
              That's not true though. Cotto, Castillo, Augustus, there are guys who have done well against Mayweather and were able to stick with him. They aren't the same as Ortiz or Guerrero or Alvarez, who are utterly clueless before the great skill and experience Mayweather presents.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
                Yeah, you're idea of intelligence is a bit off.

If somebody injected all of the talent and skill of Floyd Mayweather into your body, and you were a really intelligent guy, you still probably would not beat Floyd Mayweather.

For example, Canelo hurt Floyd with a right hand in the 10th or so round, and Floyd completely bluffed Canelo into thinking he really wasn't hurt. Floyd even stared him down and bullied him after the bell rang. Canelo should've picked up on it, but couldn't see through the bluff.
                That's a good counter point, Kudos

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  That's not true though. Cotto, Castillo, Augustus, there are guys who have done well against Mayweather and were able to stick with him. They aren't the same as Ortiz or Guerrero or Alvarez, who are utterly clueless before the great skill and experience Mayweather presents.
                  Yeah but when you add Marquez, Corrales, Hernandez to that equation too . . . ?

Like I say I'm not saying experience isn't part of it per say, but in this very instance, I believe you could freeze floyd, as he is now. . . and then bring Canelo back when he's 30 and the result would still be for Mayweather

One pundit on Boxnation summed it up best I think

"It's not that Canelo lacks the experience, it's that Floyd hasn't degenerated enough" This was said before the fight.

Comment

experience is the process by which one develops familiarity.

the brain is like a circut board in some electronics. it establishes / develops pathways through which it sends electricity. experience is the development of those pathways.

experience is experience. you've experienced things before.

Comment

Working...
                    X