Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice: I have been offered a job in Ciadad Juarez, what should I do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
    I applied on a whim to AUCJ as a visiting scholar for the spring. I received an offer which is very tempting [3000 USD month, free housing and insurance] but I know that city is famed for being dangerous.

I have dedicated myself to research and academe, 3000 is good in a developing country for a single guy with no rent. However, the security situation is bad is over 3000 homicides there is 2010 and an average of 8 murders a day.

The plus side would be the chance to live and work in Mexico, to travel the US with ease and hopefully score some strange.

As my e-homies, what advice?
    carry this in your car and you should be straight.........good luck

Comment

I would be teaching in the Social Science center.

Comment

Did you read what Rick put maybe he is trying to tell you something just a hunch tho.

Comment

What about when you want to go out, buy groceries and that kind of thing. Have you received any advice of just living life down there?

Comment

majority of the harm is within the drug trade. keep a low profile (which means no security), don't flash money everywhere you go and stay out of seedy places, clubs and bars.

Comment

Take the job if you're a huge fan of having your head cut off with a dull Army knife.

Comment

I have no street smarts. I am born/raised in Oxford. The safest, nicest city in the world. I have never had a fight, never been in trouble. I am a clean cut, middle class research student who likes coffee shops, boxing and ****o.

Its a balance between adventure and coming back alive.
                You can work there but you are going to get a hard lesson on life. You will stick out like a sore thumb by your looks and your actions. I suggest you pass on the offer basically because the 3000 is not worth it....look elsewhere

Comment

Hmm. This is a hard decision my friend, def. think hard before you do make your choice.

Getting a bodyguard might just make you a brighter target in Juarez being kidnapped and having a ransom requested to your family back in the US....On the other side not getting one might cost you protection but at the same time avoid being in the spotlight of kidnappers.

My advice? Take the job, live without much attraction...keep low. Only keep money that you have to live with, the rest stash away in US. Watch your back and make some friends that know their way around and at the same time you can trust.

If CIA agents can live in foreign countries while under WAR, why cant civilians right? Take Carez!

Comment

Take the job. If you believe in God Pray to him everyday for your protection . Keep a low profile as some has said.

Comment

My advice dont do it look somewhere else its horrible over there, I lived in that city when I was young and I have heard horrible stories...

Comment

Working...
                      X