No announcement yet.

Mike Stone's thoughts on Bruce Lee

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Stone's thoughts on Bruce Lee

But regarding Lee, I came across an interesting clue yesterday. 60’s Karate legend and kickboxing pioneer Joe Lewis wrote a book called ‘How to master Bruce Lee’s fighting system.” Now, Lewis was arguably the greatest Karate Fighter in American history, and one of three people to be considered Lee’s private student/competitors at that time. The other two were Chuck Norris and Mike Stone. You might remember Stone as the guy who took Pricilla Presley away from Elvis. Elvis is rumored to have tried to take a hit out on Stone, and no one would take it. Stone, you see, was an absolutely awe-inspiring fighter. Earned his black belt in six months. Was unbeaten in individual black belt competition. Was never even scored on to the face! Considered an absolute animal, with a level of athleticism, speed, and aggression that was simply phenomenal. I saw the guy on “the Guiness Game” trying to break the world record for the flying side kick, many years ago. He injured his leg on one of the metal clamps used to hold the target board. Was bleeding all over the stage. But every time he made an attempt at the jump, he moved as if he had no injury at all. It was frightening to watch. What the hell kind of human being is THAT?

At any rate, Stone was, and remains, pure ego. I mean, he had no respect for ANYONE as a fighter. Thought there was no one any good at the time he was competing, and that he hasn’t seen anyone he thought was good to this day on the tournament circuit. Just not impressed by other fighters, at all. What does he say about Lee? Two things jumped out at me.
    1) “He was much too fast to have competed in tournaments.”
    2) When people thought that Stone was Lee’s student, he generally corrected them, stating that they worked out together. He thought that Lee had nothing to teach him about techniques. He didn’t consider Lee his teacher, he considered himself an equal. Wow. For a man with this record, that level of ability, that great an impact on the men competing against him, that much pure ego to say “I considered myself an equal” even though he was at least four inches taller suggests that Bruce Lee was, indeed, an absolutely superlative fighter, I kid you not.
    http://darkush.blogspot.com/2007/10/...bruce-lee.html

Does anyone here know of any good articles where Stone or Lebell talk about Bruce Lee? Also has anyone here got Joe Lewis's book?

stone really was all talk and no action,guys like lewis,lee,stone and norris where trying to impress people with spin kicks round houses and one inch punches,these things do not work in a street fight,these so called kung fu legends never have or will impress me,not one of them would be able to beat a boxer on the street,they would be disposed of in a hurry,

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
      stone really was all talk and no action,guys like lewis,lee,stone and norris where trying to impress people with spin kicks round houses and one inch punches,these things do not work in a street fight,these so called kung fu legends never have or will impress me,not one of them would be able to beat a boxer on the street,they would be disposed of in a hurry,
      To tell the truth none of those tournament fighters impress me that much, with a few exceptions, but I would like to read what fighters who weren't former students have said about Bruce.
      Last edited by Toney616; 08-21-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
        So Chuck Norris, in his prime, would be garbage in a street fight. Is that what you're trying to say?

Comment

Working...
        X