No announcement yet.

HBO hurts itself by shunning Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know the particulars

But Pac seems to have a built in PPV of 300k which most likely will beat Ward/ Kov #s. Doesn't make sense to me to drop him now especially if they lose out on a Mayweather / Pac rematch down the road.

It's like HBo is on a kamikaze mission to rid itself of boxing with the exception of Canelo & GGG

Comment

Can someone please educate me on why a fight like this couldn't just be on regular HBO subscription World Championship Boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
        So who are they going to use for HBO fights? Canelo vs. Saunders? Ward vs. Brand? Kovalev vs. Chilemba on MONDAY night? Chocolatito means nothing to the average HBO viewer, and everything else has been overmatched sparring sessions. They have nothing that would warrant an HBO subscription.

At first I thought you had said something intelligent, but then you immediately nullified it by following it with something asinine.

Absolutely correct that HBO has no opponents...GB and TR are in a dry spell, and Haymon isn't going to save them except for no-hopers like Wade, Breaeale and Khan...and that's not changing anytime soon. "Soon as they get it" is easier said than done. Prospects are no better for HBO in the near future.
        Check what I am saying. I agree that opposition isn't easy to find but I think HBO isn't dead with the talent level they have. They will still attract casuals that only care about seeing popular guys get KO's.

We as diehards will know they are BS fights.

HBO has been showing Valdez, Ramirez and Verdejo but they are thin in terms of up and comers.

Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Loma is "the face of the populist movement in boxing"???? Hardcore fans are bored by him, and casual fans have never heard of him.

Funniest thing I've heard in a while.
        you need to think about what I am really saying here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Can someone please educate me on why a fight like this couldn't just be on regular HBO subscription World Championship Boxing?
          Because HBO'S boxing budget cannot handle anything over $3 million dollars in terms of a license fee.

Pac alone requires at least $8-$10 million.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            Check what I am saying. I agree that opposition isn't easy to find but I think HBO isn't dead with the talent level they have. They will still attract casuals that only care about seeing popular guys get KO's.

We as diehards will know they are BS fights.

HBO has been showing Valdez, Ramirez and Verdejo but they are thin in terms of up and comers.

you need to think about what I am really saying here!!
            I don't know if you gave noticed but HBO's boxing viewership is at an all time low this year. People are tired of mismatches.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Dogs! View Post
              HBO ain't hurting itself at all IMO. When they're making that sweet, sweet Game of Thrones money, they couldn't give two shits about boxing.
              Game of Thrones won't be on forever.

Comment

I think a regular subscription HBO fight with Pacquiao headlining, even against Vargas, would do terrific numbers. But this **** on PPV on any platform is whack bruh

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
                  Because HBO'S boxing budget cannot handle anything over $3 million dollars in terms of a license fee.

Pac alone requires at least $8-$10 million.
                  Oh ok gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
                    I don't know if you gave noticed but HBO's boxing viewership is at an all time low this year. People are tired of mismatches.
                    I know. I didn't watch the ward/brand crap.

I don't disagree with you completely. I just think if HBO gets access to good opposition for their stars this will be corrected. Of course that means working with Haymon, who controls almost all the quality opponents for HBO's best names.

either that or they will have to let them go, which wouldn't be a bad thing because then they could fight the Haymon guys anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      I know. I didn't watch the ward/brand crap.

I don't disagree with you completely. I just think if HBO gets access to good opposition for their stars this will be corrected. Of course that means working with Haymon, who controls almost all the quality opponents for HBO's best names.

either that or they will have to let them go, which wouldn't be a bad thing because then they could fight the Haymon guys anyway.
                      If HBO starts working with Haymon that just means that Haymon control over boxing escalates even further. It's definitely possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X